Thread: Picked up a G5RV long wire antenna..

Default Picked up a G5RV long wire antenna..

Picked up a G5RV long wire dipole antenna today and will be putting it into a metal military ammo can with my other G5RV antenna...

I already have two HF radios in two Xiegu G 90 radios wrapped in foil and a heavy plastic bag and put into two other Ammo cans.

Will be working on the AC to DC power supply now.....and also a solar power supply set up to be put into ammo cans as well...as the connecting power lines..

Also picked up three special bubble levels to assist with mounting the glass on my Ruger Precision Rifle. I can now begin with this process as well.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

I thought a G5RV was just coax and ladder line. As long as it's not connected to anything, there's no need to faraday cage one. Knowing basic antenna theory you can build something that'll work just as well out of a spool of wire. I've got some 12ga stranded core with brown insulation that I keep around for antenna builds. It's pretty much invisible in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    I thought a G5RV was just coax and ladder line. As long as it's not connected to anything, there's no need to faraday cage one. Knowing basic antenna theory you can build something that'll work just as well out of a spool of wire. I've got some 12ga stranded core with brown insulation that I keep around for antenna builds. It's pretty much invisible in the trees.
    NO...A G5RV is a dipole fed with ladder line..and it also has an attachment for a Pl259 connection feeding into the Ladder line which feeds to the copper dipole..

Nothing complex about it.

I also have a dipole set up for 160 meters..

Also my long wire loop is a 500 foot roll of 12 gauge black insulated copper stranded wire from Lowes. I keep also two spare rolls of that same 12 gauge copper stranded wire for spares. I like and prefer wire loop antennas but understand dipoles for ease of putting them up. This antenna too is fed via ladder line....to my tuner.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.