Thread: Building another chicken house

Default Building another chicken house

This makes #3.

Almost finished. All that's left is the metal roof, overhang and siding, trim and finish trimming out the other window and then paint it
    . We put solar powered lights and two 16" solar powered ceiling fans all with back up power supply inside to keep the new hens house cooler in the summer. We put 1/4 hardware cloth over the windows to keep the coons and fox out.

We had to keep covering up our tools (Miter saw/table saw, bandsaw etc...) because it's been raining its ass off, off and on all day. Grrrr. Finally got to a stopping point.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Nice
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I'm having a very hard time finding people to work that know how to read a tape measure...... Good job
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Them chickens will be living in high cotton.
    Heck, install a/c and I'll move in with them.

We actually thought about it. Hehe. We have a couple of extra very small window units still in the box we've never used. We still might if it's too hot next summer. The solar ceiling fans work pretty well though. They put out some great air movement. I wasn't sure when I bought them but for the price, why not give them a try...

Check em out... And Those little boxes on the back wall we built to hold the small inverters. One for each fan. The solar panels are mounted on the outside southern back wall just behind the inverters.

Attachment 2346

Back when I was dealing with predators I had started planning a coup door that was controlled via photo cell. The ladies were generally on roost just before dark.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

My girls door that leads to their run isn't that high tech. It a piece of plywood built/locked inside a channel. I open it manually from the outside of the hen house with a braided paracord. It is threaded through three eye bolts. One is attached to the top of the sliding door panel. Another eye bolt is attached about three above the door on the outside of the chicken house wall and another is attached to the outside edge of the house. I pull the door up in the morning and hook it to a catch to keep it open. At night when they go in to roost, I just unhook it and let it slide closed behind the channel. Simple setup.

I think that's wise to have multiple coops, just did that myself.
    redundancy in case one gets broken into, so you don't loose your entire flock
    ask me how I came to that conclusion

Agreed. Although, my alternate idea is to keep my meat birds seperate from my egg layers and my more aggressive chickens away from my meat birds and egg layers. We Also have a bird barn we built years ago that had 8 sections of coops. We converted most of those into one large feed room but left two coops sectioned off for our quail.