Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variator belts for my scooter.

Default Variator belts for my scooter.

Have been thinking that with my scooter for which I so often use locally....that some spares were in order.

I have recently picked up two variator belts for my Honda Zuma scooter...and put them away.

I already have spare belts for my Honda Ruckus scooter.

I am planning next to get a set of tires for both scooters and put them away.

What is causing me to think this way is the thought of the dollar going in the toilet bowl so to speak.

Am doing similar for some of my four wheeled vehicles....and for the same reasons.

Will be taking my scooter to work tonight...saves me alot of gas in my car and truck ....unless I have to go long distances or haul big loads.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

You might also want to check into sliders instead of rollers. These come in different weights and allow you to custom tailed how quickly or slowly it “upshifts”. The sliders tend to last a lot longer and the rollers(which come from the factory) tend to get flat spots on them over time which causes it to start not increasing or decreasing the gear ratio as quickly and smoothly as it did when it was stock.

If you are mostly just cruising and not going for max acceleration you can increase the weight of the rollers/sliders and it will bring the cruising rpm of the engine down when you are on city streets. If ridden conservatively this can also increase the fuel economy.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Yes indeed..I have given thought to that about the variator system.

However....first I am considering new front brake pads for the front disc brakes..and also new rear brake shoes and also new tires for the front and back.

Same for my Honda Ruckus.

I was not real keen on this Zuma at first as the Ruckus has a noticeably more comfortable seat. But over time I have gotten used to it and now ride the Zuma more than my Ruckus.

The Ruck as some 18,900 miles on it and the Zuma some 4900 miles.

I intend to run them into the ground...by keeping them running as long as I can....particularly since I owe no one on them or my cars and truck.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-04-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Arnt you worried about all the idiots on cell phones driving giant SUVs ? Man I'd be scared to death driving a scooter in today's world.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Arnt you worried about all the idiots on cell phones driving giant SUVs ? Man I'd be scared to death driving a scooter in today's world.
    Not really....

I work with nuclear radiated and contaminated materials...one can only run around so affrighted in this world...before you cease to function well.

One of the few things of which I have a lot of respect and concern about is high voltage electricity....you usually only make one mistake with that stuff..

Those guys who step off that helicopter onto the high tension lines.....Wow!!! Talk about having a huge pair hanging!!!!!

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

By riding a scooter it really forces you to keep your head on a swivel. The one I rode was a Kymco Like 200i. It was a 160cc fuel injected model. The great thing about scooters is fuel economy. If I went full throttle at every stop light, it would get about 55-58 mpg. But if I took it easy, never went full throttle, and just cruised around it would get 75 mpg! That is quit useful if fuel is scarce or is being rationed. One of the first modifications that I did to my scooter though was installing air horns. That was VERY useful for the idiots that don’t pay attention when they drive.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Everytime ot post about his scooter I think of sweetchuck from the police academy movies and giggle... I know it gets great gas milage n all. And would be amazing after the emp. Buttttttt
    There's an old joke ... A scooter is like a fat girl. It's fun to ride till your friends catch you on one.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Everytime ot post about his scooter I think of .......
    Well, it certainly distracts people from the subject at hand, back to the OP....
    Last edited by Winni; 09-09-2020 at 07:57 PM.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

Driftz 240

Everytime ot post about his scooter I think of sweetchuck from the police academy movies and giggle... I know it gets great gas milage n all. And would be amazing after the emp. Buttttttt
    There's an old joke ... A scooter is like a fat girl. It's fun to ride till your friends catch you on one.

I've long since gotten over that Driftz 240...

I've been riding such two wheels...since those mopeds which had the bicycle pedals on them. Taught myself how to make them go faster as well as maintain them...

I still have my olde Puch moped with pedals on it and it has some 29,000 miles on the frame.....2nd motor on it.

But todays scooters with the fat front and back tires ride more smoothly and comfortably compared to the olde mopeds with the skinny tires.

I don,t worry about what others think...and I own three cars and a truck. I am laughing all the way to the bank....not driving a four wheeled vehicle every day.

Don't get me wrong..for some things it is hard to beat a pick up truck....when you have to haul big loads or my car for lots of groceries..et al.

But for most uses ..the scooter works out fine and the best thing..I am only traveling some 8 miles to work...and 8 miles back. I can cover that in about 25 minutes at 40 MPH...most days.

Never wanted a big motorcycle....but did think at one time about getting one of these new full sized scooters...at some 400 CCs....but gave up on the idea..I am doing fine with what I have.

No license needed ...no insurance...no inspection. Perfect for me.

I gotta tell you though Driftz 240....when I don't ride two wheels for awhile...I miss it. Oddly enough riding two wheels can grow on you.

Just remember...these machines are not toys...they can hurt you badly.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

You wanna know he truth ...? I had a Puch moped when I was 14. I modified the governor to make it faster. My parents saw me screaming down he residential 25mph street at close to 60... I got in big trouble...lol I just like screwing with ya ot . I had alott of fun on that thing. Worked great to sneak off to my friends houses in the middle of the night. You could pedal it down he road as to not wake the parents.