Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasps!!!

Default Wasps!!!

Anyone know how to keep wasps away? Darn things keep trying to build a nest in the door to the gas filler spout to my truck. These are what we call guinea wasps. Small but meaner than a snake. Almost as bad as yellow jackets. Ain't got no sense of humor some none a'tall! Know what I mean, Vern?

good old fashion clorinated brake cleaner will melt the wings right off them. we keep a can on the back porch. so when we see one or they try to build a nest we hose them with it.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    good old fashion clorinated brake cleaner will melt the wings right off them. we keep a can on the back porch. so when we see one or they try to build a nest we hose them with it.
    Thanks, Driftz. Will sure give it try.

A clear plastic bag filled with water and hung up, it causes reflections when the wind moves it, wasps don't like it.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Reminds me, I got a YJ sting this weekend, and the hand is still swollen...uggggg
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

I just waged war on wasps at our new house. The brilliant builders decided to have the pretty side of the cedar fence to face inside. This means that the horizontal boards are on the backside of the fence where we canít access it, and that is the side that wasps will build their nests. Guess Iíll have to sneak back there about once a month and wage war.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Olde Timer,

I too have had that happen with my olde pickup truck and the gas filler door. I'll go sometimes weeks without using my truck and then when I do and need gasoline....I've learned the hard way to be careful when opening the door and sticking my hand in there to unscrew the gas cap......"WHAM!!!!"

Those little suckers hurt.

Don't know if you or the other members know this ....but from time to time and also aboutt the yard....property I will take an olde Windex or 409 bottle...empty and fill it with dish detergent and water...heavy on the dish detergent....and I spray the wasps, bees, yellow Jacket nests. This detergent and water mix gets on their bodies and suffocates them...they cannot breath...fall over and perish.

Some years ago I was trimming the hedges here and did not know there was a yellow Jacket nest in the ground...and I verily pissed them off with my hedge trimmers. Got stung some four times before I dropped everything and headed for the door to the house. Ran inside and got some bug spray and came out the door and got stung again..."WHAM"....only to retreat once more.

I gave them some space and time....but remembered the dish detergent and a spray bottle ...which I filled and carefully ....carefully stalked to where I found the entrance and from as far as the bottle would spray ...went to work. It was immediately effective and they fell by the wayside around the entrance.

When it was safe I poured the mix directly into the entrance...and filled it two more times and poured.

Fortunately and unlike some people I am not violently allergic to bee stings.

Oh...and this also works well with one of those kids spray toys...called a "Super Soaker" which I believe is some kind of long range toy water pistol...

Yeah..bees and such do not like dish detergent and water mix.

Hope this helps...just be careful sticking your hand in the gas filler lid to remove the cap...it is a serious wake up call.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 08-05-2020 at 02:46 AM.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__sJ4Bm3DDQ

Apparently peppermint extract discourages their return
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__sJ4Bm3DDQ

Apparently peppermint extract discourages their return
    AHA!! That's what I'm looking for, something to keep them from returning. Think I'll try this combined with OT's suggestion of water and dish detergent. Mix the dishi detergent and water and peppermint oil together and spray and see how it works. Thanks everyone.

Never knew that about peppermint...Winni...thanks

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Your welcome Olde Timer..