Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane/Tropical Storm preps.....

Default Hurricane/Tropical Storm preps.....

Pretty much set here for hurricane preps...

Last three things to do are get water containers cleaned, filled and in position....clean bathtub and washer and fill with water..

Also to bring the gas grill into my garage..separate and plug the gas bottle....and secure the trash containers...

Have these trash containers pre tied off/lashed to some poles concreted into the ground and will lash down the lids...

Footnote.....

After conditions of such an storm...and when you go out and about to secure your water logged property...be very aware of snakes and any such critters looking for any high ground....dry ground..

Be Warned...

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

did you take a look at the neighbor's places - in the storm direction >> to see what will be coming your direction?

Yes I did IW....I am concerned about the tin roof on my neighbors garage...that sheets of it may come off like a guillotine and go flying down the street.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Calm outside now....eerily calm....dead calm...

No wind...no birds..no bugs ...no noise..

Is this the famous calm before the storm....????

The tropical storm is working it's way up the coast now..

Just moved my gas grill into the garage after securing it.

You don't often hear or sense this kind of dead quiet....and I have learned to take note of it.

The bugs and critters out there know much better than I when things are amiss.....so I have learned to pay attention to their silence.

When the storm comes ..I will myself ...cut the circuit breaker off to my garage...leaving only the house with electricity.

Hope to catch my friend out in Tennessee via ham radio soon ...before securing the ham station.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

OT, do you have a way to measure the barometric pressure? I'm bettin it has dropped a fair amount already, thus the dead quite.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

01:45AM here..

No I do not backpacker but you make a good point on the barometric Pressure. I suppose most of the animals and other critters would be naturally more sensitive to such pressure changes than myself...

I shall have to consider covering that base in the future...

I just took a look outside through the front and also back doors...raining cats and dogs out there as the saying goes...steadily hard....not much wind as of yet.

Going to check out the National Hurricane Center site...

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

0700 AM. Winds dying down somewhat from what they were about 15 minutes ago. Wondering if we are near the eye of the storm.

Power has gone up and down several times and I decided to hook this computer up to my Cyber Power 1500 battery back up. First time I have used it. So far so good.

Have some large limbs down in my back yard..and will have my work cut out for me when all this subsides.

No standing water here.

Got a text from someone I know down in North Carolina...they are indicating it has passed them up and clear skies down there.

Have my ham walkie talkie and monitoring the local ham emergency monitors about town.

Going to try to put on a pot of coffee...

Expecting winds to pick back up.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Post Script...

The large limb I thought was down in my tree....is a neighbors tree two lots over which came down and knocked some limbs out of my tree and also the back of my immediate neighbors garage. This is going to be a bigger job than i had thought. Will pull together with the neighbors and see what we can do about it.

Wind is picking back up again and I have not bothered to go out and look at the damage but what I can see from here....that can wait until this is over...as long as no one is hurt...

Coffee hits the spot this morning.

Post post script...

Decided to go back to the fallen tree to holler out loud on the off chance that someone alive was caught in there....and got no response...

Did not go in very close as I am also aware of snakes and such looking for high ground...dry ground...

It is a very large tree from two lots over....and I also did a quick survey from afar and came back in...
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 08-04-2020 at 07:35 AM.

It was almost a non-event here. I never even lost power. Not even limbs down from the trees. Got some rain and a little bit of wind but not much else. Praise the Lord! No damage of any kind. Got another one brewing up out n the Atlantic we'll need to monitor though.

Got some additional preps I need to attend to though. I've been procrastinating about getting a generator. Gonna see to that post-haste. Have rubber boots, but gonna get some heavy duty rubber gloves too for if/when I should ever need to use it. Ain't planning on getting myself 'lectrocuted! Then, a few other minor things. Other than that, I'm in pretty good shape. Just would hate to lose everything in my fridge and freezer in the event of an extended power outage. Also, planning on have ing an electrician put an outlet under the house and rig my water pump so I can unplug it from there and plug into generator so I can continue to have running water in the event of an outage. So many things we too often take for granted...until we don't have them.
    Last edited by beowulf; 08-04-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Good to hear that the damage is minimal so far. Keep up the reports as you are able.

Glad to hear that you made out well Olde Timer....,so too someone I know down at Four Oaks.

A generator is always something good to have on hand for very inclement weather or conditions.

I started out years ago with a Coleman 4000 watt generator and learned quickly that should have gotten the wheel kit for it. Was hauling it back and forth to my parents house by day and back here at night. Back then they were also very loud...today they have much better mufflers for them.,

Updated to a 7500 with electric start and wheels now days. Also have two small 1200 watt 2 cycle generators more portable...though I haul them around on a hand truck.

Have also purchased a battery pack....for this computer....which you charge in the AC power and then plug your computer into it. This was the first event by which I used it....and it worked well.

My Walkie talkies worked out well on the Ham bands ...and I did not change batteries on the one I used..but now it is back on the charger.

Good to hear that you made out well and safe Olde Timer...

Watching events via The National Hurricane Center.....on the Web.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Keep them in the X ring.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 08-04-2020 at 10:08 AM.