Thread: Scored me a 26' nomad today.

Default Scored me a 26' nomad today.

The wife has been wanting a travel trailer, and we found a 1999 26' Nomad. It sleeps 4, interior is clean as a pin, and all new appliances. The outside looks like a rolling golf ball, as it was caught in a severe hailstorm 2 years ago. Owner had the roof fixed, and used boards/Flexseal in the 2 windows that got broken. He had a new roof A/C installed last year, but just covered the plastic "dome" with duct tape. I will be ordering a new one before winter. I will have to replace most of the exterior lighting, as it was wiped out as well. I got it for $2K. This is my first full travel trailer, so help me out here.

So, the graywater tank is about 1/4 full, and he said he leaves it like that year round. Keep doing that, or flush it out later? I have a dump station close by.

He said he drained the freshwater tank before putting it in winter storage, and blew down all the water lines with an air compressor(from faucet to tank), and drained the toilet. Should I run some sort of cleaner through the lines? My current place(and the future place) are on wells. No chlorine or chemicals in my H2O.

He had a new plug/7-way harness/taillights installed this spring. He also had the slide-out motor replaced last year.

It has the gooseneck that uses a ball/plate mounted to the 5th wheel rails. I'm picking up the plate Friday. Roll with it, or swap it out to a kingpin/5th wheel setup later?

I already have a 3.5kW genset for it.

Do the electric jacks on the front have a manual override(hand crank)? He put a new battery in it last year, but it may have discharged from sitting. We didn't think to test it, and he's off on the fire lines right now.

Anything else I should know?

Our plan is to roll with it until we get the property we are looking at, and then possibly upgrading in a few years.
    Last edited by Lone Eagle; 07-21-2020 at 09:57 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Eagle View Post

So, the graywater tank is about 1/4 full, and he said he leaves it like that year round.
    No reason not to empty that tank, especially in the winter as it can freeze and crack the tank or pipes just the same as any other tank or pipe on that trailer. Is there something wrong with the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Psycho View Post
    No reason not to empty that tank, especially in the winter as it can freeze and crack the tank or pipes just the same as any other tank or pipe on that trailer. Is there something wrong with the tank?
    No, still holding the 1/4 tank. I didn't see any signs of leakage, either. I do plan on flushing it on the way home.

The only reason I can think for the 1/4 full grey water tank is to provide a bit of ballast and to lower the center of gravity. I know guys a work with a few travel trailers and you notice when empty they rock a bit empty.

When the trailer is loaded with water supplies and general stuff they are heavier and don’t rock as much when towing or parked.

But that’s just a guess.
    Last edited by Big-D; 07-22-2020 at 12:56 PM.

you going to try pulling out any of those hail dents? - being thin aluminum they might just look half decent with a little effort ....

Welcome to the club Eagle!

Yours is roughly the same size as mine... great for 2 people.

If it has a fridge that runs on propane, only run the fridge when the trailer is level. running off level can cause problems with the refrigerant which is not freon but a water/ammonia mix that is susceptible to scorching.

After a bad experience I drain the water heater when parking for the winter, and in the spring I flush the lines with a few bottles of hydrogen peroxide from the drug store. You can use bleach, but the H2O2 doesn't leave the chemical taste in the lines after you've run fresh water through, and the chlorine seems to. Both the fresh water tank (drive around with it about 25% full with several bottles of H202 in it) and also the water hose inlet, which I do by using a funnel to pour H202 into the hose (several bottles) and then attach the hose to the trailer and run every spigot & flush the john enough to circulate it (like bleeding brakes).

Exterior lights - go with LED. You can stick a 12v automotive fuse or circuit breaker in the 7-pin plug and have your lights on at night, even with the truck disconnected. Cheery and makes finding your trailer in the dark a little easier. LED won't run your battery down (much) overnight if you leave them on.

Good luck with the project and happy camping!
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Thanks, Bruss. We plan on doing the repairs this summer/fall, and start using it on the road next year. About the only use it will see this year is when we start fixing the master bedroom in our current house.

We just got it to the house a bit ago. Brakes worked, tracked straight, and towed like a dream. It felt no worse than a U-haul car trailer with my Subie on it. Once I got the controller adjusted, braking was smooth as silk......until the connector popped out. Even then, stopping distance didn't increase by much. I have a new pigtail ready to install anyways. Some nimrod had ground the safety tab off the old one, so the cover couldn't lock it in like it should.

I do have a little work on it. Both roof vents(bathroom and bedroom) need replacing. Hail took out the covers, and replacement is as a unit. I found a place online that has them fairly cheap. Roof will need a good cleaning and possible re-coating after I fix the vents and AC cover. I plan on hooking the genset up tomorrow and giving the electrical system a good shakedown. All the appliances, water heater, and AC are new(less than a year old). Furnace was replaced in 2016. Fridge is dual power(AC and propane), and took no time to cool down.

Now I have another Q. What is the best way to clean/flush the holding tanks? We figured out the slightly off odor inside is similar to sewer gas. It's not unbearable, but noticeable. We have a friend coming next weekend to give the interior a thorough cleaning. And for the record, the mattress was the first thing to go out the door. Wife has a phobia about used mattresses, and her dad gave us a brand new queen we are putting in there.

I'll try to get some pics of the hail damage. After getting it in a better light, it has more of a ripple look than a golf ball look.