Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild Mustang grapes, oh my!

We.have wild blackberries all over our place. Have a couple of thornless blackberries as well. Wild ones are a much more intense flavor. I'll be picking some of them this weekend.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Our wild berries have already come and gone. I picked a couple of buckets to freeze for pies, cobblers and a few jars of jam. I still have several jars left over from last year. You have to be ready to pick when they get ripe because the birds get up early and beat you to them. lol

We had plenty of rain this year so the berries were nice and plump. I wish we had wild raspberries around here. I think our temps are too harsh for them. There is an exception though. We have lots of feral mulberry trees. The only draw back to that is, the birds love them too and make a mess of everything . Cars, well pump handles, front porch, boat covers etc etc... Everything turns purple for a month or so... Blek!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

We found a couple of "weeping Mulberry trees" at our local nursery. They took weepin willow and crossed it with Mulberry, so it grows like a weeping willow, but produces mulberries on the tines.

Humm, never heard of those but I'll bet the picking is easier! 😜

We have one mulberry tree. Berries are so sweet. But we only got one decent picking on them due to the birds. They love those things, but it keep more birds away from my blueberries.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Finally picked the last of the wild grapes I plan to harvest. It's just too hot outside. We hit 104* already today and it's just 2 o'clock.
    I got them cleaned, cooked and smashed the juice out, ready to make the last batch of jelly tomorrow. Ended up with 4 more 5 gal buckets. I'll have plenty to pass out this Christmas for sure! Our bunch will probably get two jar ea this year and still leave us with a few cases for just us.