Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on war and fighting.. purely hypothetical in purpose

Default My thoughts on war and fighting.. purely hypothetical in purpose

So how does one win a battle?
    I was thinking about this alot lately. Does one stand toe to toe with an enemy that out numbers them 10 to 1.
    Does one get into a fight on the enemy's terms when provoked... The answer is no.
    The solution lies in tactics. A single sniper can put the fear of God into an enemy. Have them too scared to move.
    My suggestions... Take them if you like. Leave them if you don't
    Get proper gear.
    1. A good rifle and scope. Have a side arm also.
    Have enough ammo. And a means of repairs to weapons and gear. .
    2 camo up. Make a ghilli or get proper camo.
    Know about shadow, contrast. And other principals of camo and hiding.
    3. Water... Get a Camelback. Or have enough water for a few days.
    4. Plan on being on the move for a few days at a time. It could happen. Something similar to a get home bag, use all components with natural colors. No florescent tarps. Or white towels, or glow in the dark stuff. Think hiding.

Just some basics to throw in a bag. If trouble comes looking for you. Try not to be where it's looking.
    If you must strike. Do it. Calmly wait 10 sec. Gather your thoughts. Gather your things. Analyse the situation. Move to a different hidden location smoothly and stealthily. Find a place to strike .. get there . Strike. Give your enemy a psychological disencentive. Make them not want to continue. This is a ongoing approach. Do your damage to the enemy's moral.
    In pairs you could add radios to the mix. Use code and your own language so to speak. Using L-shape ambush tactics a well hidden team using a coordinated assault could inflict major damage on an enemy force.
    Be confidant in your camo. Know that it works and most return fire is indirect panic fire. You can find many videos and books on sniper tactics. I find them historically very interesting. .
    Have a loose plan, and a back up , and 5 more back ups. Think on the fly. Make your plan and stick too it.
    Also you can find videos on moving in the woods stealthily. There were some made by American Indians that got into awesome info on Bushcraft and moving silent.
    Just some thoughts for a hypothetical enemy you may soon face... Please input your thoughts

IMHO one should have some good reading materials. Books on combat techniques for small groups (covering "bounding overleap" and other protective combat tactics small groups -- even individuals-- could employ).
    Also, books on the philosophy of wars. Tsun Tzu wrote "THE ART OF WAR" centuries ago and it's good for stimulating the mind outside the box, being imaginative, and so forth. Von Clausowitz's book "ON WAR" "VOM KRIEG" is a pretty decent book.
    Machiavelli also wrote a book called "THE ART OF WAR" (ARTE DELLA GUERRA) which has its own interests ..... though not as thought provoking as Tsun Tzu's version.

Yes, books on sniper tactics are good. Small arms tactics, guerrilla warfare and asymmetric warfare are a must.

I wish I had time to add commentary on Nathan Greene and his fascinating way of using guerrilla tactics to secure some southern states entry into the Revolutionary War on the Americans' side. It was quite inventive.
    On how to win hearts & minds without winning the battles .......
    Last edited by TommyGunn; 07-05-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Yes. i have most of those books you listed. There's lots of good YouTube stuff aswell. Bounding forward and retreating is a must know. Communication is also 100 percen needed. Knowledge of boobies traps is also a good skill.

Obviously written from a young man's perspective.....lol I can't think of any scenario in the USA where a sniper would be able to control any sized area for any length of time. The role of sniper has always been a supporting role, to platoon-sized ground troops. I like Bruce Lee's thought on fighting: is to win a fight, without fighting. The thing about Cammy is as soon as you move, I can see you....lol No man is an island. To win any fight, you have to have a network. Research the history of sieges: If you can't get resupplied, you lose. I went to NOLA after Katrina and saw many folks who survived the aftermath onslaught. The ones who holed up in apt buildings or tall commercial buildings and worked together were the ones who survived the long haul. Many folks have families and extended families, what about them?

Not that young.. been around. A single sniper can immobilize a infantry unit with ease. And good camo and tactics. You wouldn't see them from 300 yards. Because you'll have your head down kissing the ground.
    Last edited by driftz240; 07-07-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Btw. I dident say win. I said create a psychological disencentive. If the enemy has pieces of his buddy's head all over him. It creates a psychological disencentive. Or another way of saying it. He don't want to fight no mo. Then the hypothetical sniper moves to another position . It could be down the road. Over the next hill. To the next hide. And repeats. Hell he may even wait a day or 2 and go to a whole nother a.o. all the while this puts enormous mental stress on the enemy fighters. Basically. Not going toe to toe with the enemy. But creating chaos. Think Vietnam era tactics, Not war on terror tactics.
    Last edited by driftz240; 07-07-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    ... Not going toe to toe with the enemy. But creating chaos. Think Vietnam era tactics, Not war on terror tactics.
    The title says "thoughts on war and fighting". 1st question: "How to win a battle?" I'm responding to that. VN era tactics? which side? GYSGT Hathcock created as much terror as the VC did. IMO, the American Colonists created more terror to the British, with snipers, than VN did. BUT snipers did NOT win any war. Were they an important part? Absolutely, but when the title is "thoughts on war and fighting" and "How to win a battle" in a sentence, follow Sun Tzu. Btw, most movies about snipers, is about a sniper, going after other snipers.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    .... Because you'll have your head down kissing the ground.
    Hmmm, not in the Marines. They maneuver and flank and endeavor to take them out.

I'm pretty sure having my buddy's brain splattered on me would just make me even more determined. Have you ever seen brains splattered? Think of a kid who just puked up cottage cheese and spaghetti o's
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Hancock was on my mind. He and his spotter could cause chaos for battalions of vc. Basically in retrospect. If 100 armed mildly trained rejects come marching threw your
    town taking over. You can't really mobilize with a like numbered force quickly. In my thoughts a single sniper or 2 . Could be a big game changer. And not be a dummy who goes it to face them head on. I saw a guy get a 20mm cannon ammo drum dropped and smash his head into he ground... So to answer that yes. Me and 2 other guys ran over to try and help..but nothing we could do at that point. Looked like uncooked pork and blood.
    Last edited by driftz240; 07-07-2020 at 08:31 PM.