Thread: Picked up some new wheels over the weekend.

Default Picked up some new wheels over the weekend.

Well, my trusty 1993 F150 decided it had enough. Dropped 2 valves, and busted 5th gear when it locked up at 80MPH. Went for a little spin, but kept it on all 4 wheels. Hail and farewell, Grumpy. You gave 280K to 2 owners.

So, we had $6K saved we were going to use for a new rig anyways, so off I went. I saw an ad in the local paper: 1999 Subaru Outback, nice condition, $6K OBO. I figured what the heck, so contacted the owner. We met up Friday after I got off work. It was in nice condition, alright......sans the front seats need new foam. Covers are in great shape, foam is breaking down from age. Looked under the hood, and had a fresh tune-up, oil change, and trans service. I then got under the wheel to crank it, and saw the odometer.

IMG_20200603_150857483.jpg

No, it hasn't been swapped out. I ran the VIN, and one outstanding recall on it for the brakes(wrong master cylinder and calipers from factory). When I scheduled the recall work, dealer verified the mileage through the OBD computer. Carfax came back as a 2-owner. The original owner was a college professor, and abandoned it when he left the U of M. Second owner got it from auction, got it fixed/running(needed front axles and a good detailing), and decided to flip it. I talked him down to $4500 and a case of M855 5.56. My youngest and his Sgt want me to get it to JBLM for a new set of head gaskets, radiator swap, and a new sound system. His Sgt is a WRX freak, and has the parts I need already on hand. Only issue I have right now is Safelite FUBARed the windshield install, and it leaks if I run it through a car wash. I already have a local guy(ex Safelite employee who says this is par for the course) who is doing the job for $170.

And from the outside:

IMG_20200603_150916151_HDR.jpg

And, no, I don't plan on growing a goatee and a man bun. I've already picked my plates, and we have the Gadsden Flag plates(supports the local 1776 Foundation).
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

That car is legal drinking age. Lol but it's still a baby according to the mileage. How can axels be ruined in only 27k miles? That would worry me. So long it makes you happy that's what matters. I've heard good things about them, congrats.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

The front axles(or CV shafts) have sealed boots to protect the U joints. If those boots get torn due to debris(like sticks or other sharp objects) then it will let moisture in. Once moisture gets in, it can cause the CV (constant velocity) joints to rust and degrade. It’s not that uncommon on low mileage vehicles that have not been cared for.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    The front axles(or CV shafts) have sealed boots to protect the U joints. If those boots get torn due to debris(like sticks or other sharp objects) then it will let moisture in. Once moisture gets in, it can cause the CV (constant velocity) joints to rust and degrade. It’s not that uncommon on low mileage vehicles that have not been cared for.
    That's why he had to replace the front. Boots were torn, and lost all the grease. The rear are better protected, and look like new. I'm watching seals for leaks as well. When we get ready to meet up with the youngest, it's going over on a trailer, going on the lift, and getting any leaky seal replaced. Like I said, his Sgt is into WRX's, and knows any low-mileage Subie is a diamond in the rough. Most are over 100k, and need tons of work.

Had a Gen 1 those things are darn near indestructible if properly maintained. Got it new in 96 I think. Used it to deliver newspapers in all kinds of weather 7 days a week 365 days a year. When we finally retired it in 04 it had well over 200k on it and was still a dependable vehicle

I work with a couple guya, one has a Suby for a daily driver. The other guy drove a WRX for years. Finally got him a big Doge truck. He swears by the WRX.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Well, a little update is in order. Head gaskets popped on me a couple of weeks ago. I got to my MIL's house, and it was puking antifreeze out the reservoir tank. Luckily, it didn't overheat, and i shut it down then and there. I got it ready to pull the engine today, and will be pulling the block tomorrow. From what I could tell, it is the OEM fiber gaskets that were notorious for failing. I ordered a complete Six Star MLS kit, and hoping it goes smooth. I remember the old FWD Mopars, and had a gasket swap down to a science on those.

I hold the somewhat unpopular opinion that Subarus are vastly overrated from a reliability standpoint. When buying that vintage used NA 2.5 Subarus you're honestly better off with a 100k mile car that's already had the head gaskets replaced than a 50k mile car with original gaskets. My 2nd and last Subaru (2005 Legacy GT) was without a doubt the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned.....every morning I woke up and looked outside to find that it hadn't been struck by a meteor and reduced to a smoking heap of wreckage I died a little inside.

They get an across the board reputation for good reliability but it's really dependent on model year/engine. Their NA 2.5s ate head gaskets for about 10 model years, the 5MT didn't randomly earn the nickname "the glass transmission" and never should of been paired with the higher HP turbo motors, the newer turbo engine had massive oil consumption issues, hell the Legacy GT forum I used to be on invented an abbreviation (YNANSB) because people got tired of typing "you need a new short block" when new people asked what was wrong with their car.

I will give them some props, my 02 WRX was very reliable, the awd system is great in the snow, the 3.0, 3.6 H6, and 2.0 turbo (early WRXs) are pretty bulletproof, and the newer 6mt is vastly stronger than the old 5mt transmission. Honestly as much as hated my 05 Legacy GT and swore off all Subaru's because of it if I found a good deal on a Subaru with a 3.0 or 3.6 H6 and a 6mt I'd still be tempted to buy it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." Tuco

Thanks, Jwag. I got it apart Saturday, and it was the OEM gaskets, they just failed from sitting. Bud machined everything for me for a case of beer, and got it back together Sunday. All that's left is bolting the intake and accessories back on. Getting the motor out/in was simple. I'm not arguing for what I paid for the car, which was about half book value. Mine has the Phase II 4EAT speed auto transmission in it, and I was told a 2.2L in front would rock with my gearing.