Thread: replaced my steering gear box in my Ranger truck...today.

Default replaced my steering gear box in my Ranger truck...today.

I have been procrastinating on this job for some time now...and finally bought the replacement steering gearbox for my Ranger Truck.

I try to keep this truck running as she has in her the long and short range comms ...in mobile configuration...HF/VHF/UHF and even CB bands...and antennas to go with it.

This is going to be my primary in a bug out situation ....but though locally I usually use my scooters or small car...the heavy work is done by means of this olde Ranger.

Best thing about her is that she is paid off...I owe no one on her....and try to keep her going. I hate car payments and such.

Had a difficult time in places with this steering gear box as they are heavy and bulky. I am glad for this shipyard teaching me how to rig and ease something into a tight space ...bit by bit by bit...re rigging as needed and doing it in installments so to speak...bit by bit....step by step...till I had moved her right where I needed it.

That is how I got the gearbox into place in those tight confines by myself.....along with some choice and or advanced language skills.

Now I am very hungry ...headed for the kitchen after cleaning up...

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite....but definitely a procrastinator.

Good work OT. That's not an easy job to perform by yourself.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

"Choice or advanced language skills" are sometimes the only things that save one's sanity when workin' on vehicles.

LOL LOL LOL...guys....Indeed...choice or advanced language skills....

Agree...Backpacker..I knew it was going to be difficult..but not that difficult..

I considered taking it somewhere but hate to pay someone for something I can do myself...

Soon enough I will be getting too olde for this kind of labors..and that day is coming ...I dred that day...

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

I've done a few of those in my lifetime, Easiest was my '93 F150. The 300 I-6 left me plenty of room to work with.

Now you want to hear the colorful metaphors fly, watch me do the rack in my MIL's '99 Taurus Wagon. I swear Ford put the rack in first, then the 24V V6. I ended up dropping the subframe to do it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

Did the one on my '71 Bronco a few years back. Plenty of room, since the thing was high enough off the ground with stock tires and suspension. These days, though, spendin' that much time on my back layin' under vehicles is not something to which I would look forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Vale74 View Post
    Did the one on my '71 Bronco a few years back. Plenty of room, since the thing was high enough off the ground with stock tires and suspension. These days, though, spendin' that much time on my back layin' under vehicles is not something to which I would look forward.
    I turn 75 in about three and a half weeks. "Bout all I do now is change the oil in the truck. The CRV I let someone else do it. Its too low to the ground. I also plug a flat tire and change them. I keep a patch kit and air pump in both vehicles for plugging tires that get a nail or something in them. Anything beyond these, I take it to someone else and let them bust their knuckles. I'm getting too old for that kind of stuff anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I turn 75 in about three and a half weeks. "Bout all I do now is change the oil in the truck. The CRV I let someone else do it. Its too low to the ground. I also plug a flat tire and change them. I keep a patch kit and air pump in both vehicles for plugging tires that get a nail or something in them. Anything beyond these, I take it to someone else and let them bust their knuckles. I'm getting too old for that kind of stuff anymore.
    I hear you Olde Timer..I hear you. I'll be right there with you soon enough...69 years here..

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Believe me, sir, I hear ya. My mechanic is a youngster at 64. Reasonably small on-site fee to come to my place to do work. Hourly rate is well below shops. Independent as hell, in that if he doesn't wanna do a particular job he'll just say no and I respect him enough to not even ask him why.
    He also knows enough about EFI and EEC stuff to handle them, whereas to me, those things are sorta like magic.