Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Mazda rx8 project. ....

Default Free Mazda rx8 project. ....

You know what every Mazda rx8 needs?
    A got-ammm American v8.
    Lol. Me and my son are putting together a 2009 Mazda rx8 with a vortex 5.3 lsx engine swap. May even turbo the thing if we're feeling froggy. It's a good father son project for a 17yo who graduates next year and is going to college for mechanical engineering. Good way to learn Abit. And have bad mamma jamma when the project is done

So I bought a 2010 Chevy truck for $400. Good engine and recently rebuilt trans. Rusted threw body. But ours like a kitten. Should get half my money back in scrap once we pull what we need

How are you going to compensate for the weight difference between a 247 pound 13B and an almost 600 pound Iron block truck engine? Even if you could find the L33 aluminum block 5.3 it is still about 430 pounds.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

The modern ls motors are all aluminum. So not much weight difference and it sits back closer to center than a 13b. It will be getting coilovers also. Just want to get the hard part done

Weighed the LS1 when it was out of the 2001 Camaro. With accessories it was just shy of 450. The LC9 has the same stoke with a smaller bore so the weights should be pretty close.

Front coilovers may be enough to get the weight to balance out. Good luck, keeps us updated.

If "they" can get an LS3 in a Miata and make it work you should be able to do this.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

LS swaps are so common that you can buy an engine wire harness and programmable computer for them. The YouTube channel Cletus McFarland took the LS swap to the extreme after finding out a Corvette he bought at an auction had a junk yard 5.3 under the hood. They then turbocharged it, put a power glide behind it, and raced it till the motor blew. Then they went back to the junk yard and replaced it with another LS motor. They did this two or three times and ran several deep 9 second 1/4 mile passes before deciding to put a built 427 in it.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I'm just going a cam and some headers. Maybe a intake plentem. If it's putting down 350+ ish. That little car will be so fun to drive.

Update...
    So we pulled the truck motor. Sonny boy swapped the front accessories out. Removed ac and ps stuff. We will be running the factory rx8 electric ps setup. Installed f body oil pan and pick up. Ls1 intake mani and fuel rail/ injectors. We're running a 5 speed nv3500 trans with exedy clutch. My buddy has made up the swap kit and motor is almost ready to go in. We're using a ls swap harness that is super simple to wire up. Worth the $300 bucks fer sherrr. Also got a 2 row aluminum radiator and a set of coilovers so we can make her handle good after the v8 swap. I'm looking for about 365hp and 390-420 ft lb tq. Not huge. But in the little light weight Mazda. Nothing to snicker at. Definitely going to be a fun grocery getter. And for a 17 yo to go autocross it will feel like a rocket ship...lol

Btw. Got $230 scrap for the truck...winnnning

Awesome update, thanks.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.