Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting in new engine in Troy Built horse tiller.....,

i hate that the engines from Harbor Freight are from China
    but i got to give praise when it is due
    I had an old old rear tine tiller (no Trybuilt) that my son let run dry of oil and it siezed up
    replaced it about 6 years ago with a Harbor Freight and it runs very well

then just recently i needed a trash pump to empty a small pond
    got the cheapest, smallest one Harbor Freight sold and the thing runs like a champ
    starts first pull every time
    an the outlet from the 2" line looks like a fire hose

my general rule on Harbor Freight is to buy things there that I don't need to last or things i will rarely use.
    when i need a quality tool or a tool that I must depend on then I go somewhere else

Success with the motor and tiller.

Fueled it up and started with only a few pulls..and started easily.

The olde Kholer engine had electric start which can spoil one very easily. But I don't know what they have done to these newer smaller engines but the pull and start much easier than in the olde days....and I am very pleased with this measure of progress.

Ran it for about ten minutes and then put it in gear and went across the yard to where I had deposited a lot of my burned brush and tilled it over. The engine worked fine and so too the tiller.

Shut it down and let it cool off in front of the garden hose ..before I turned it up and sprayed down the tines and underside ...careful not to spray the engine.

Then started it up and drove it into my garage.

"And now you know the rest of the story."

I don't mind that the engine is built in China. For I know that an American built engine would have cost three or four times as much. Also those are American and European companies who invested in China ...as they so invested in Japan and Korea...they have only moved much of their operations as costs inflated in Korea and Japan.

Remember ..American companies as well as British Companies built Japan and Nazi Germany between wars...

Buckle up...

Have it in mind to get an extra engine at these costs and put it away.....about 130 dollars.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 05-27-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Explo, same here on harbor freight tools to get out of a pinch.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I believe I told you members wrong in the origin of the new replacement engine for this Troy Built Horse Tiller...

It came from a place called Northern Tool....and not from Harbor Freight.

But...in thinking about it.....most likely they purchase from the same sources/vendors for their gear.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Intentions are to lengthen the fuel hose coming from the fuel tank to the carburetor and install a fuel shut off valve. When I put the tiller away for long periods of time I shut the valve off and starve the motor and carburetor of fuel.

I have learned that with small engines ...this ethanol alcohol gasoline is not good for them long term...sitting in the carburetor...and not running. I solve this issue by installing a fuel cut off valve and shutting that with the engine running such that's the carburetor runs dry and the engine quits.

I have done this with my two push mowers and also my riding mower...and now will do the same with this tiller

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

I have done the same for a few years with good results.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I run 100% gas in all my small engines. Never have any issues. Rotate my stock out and treat w Stabil once a year.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

What a bonehead...read the instruction manual carefully....

Got ready yesterday to install a fuel cut off valve on this small replacement tiller engine...and discovered there was already one built in the carburetor.

Great by me..

I ran the engine for about 10 minutes and then cut off the fuel supply and let the engine run dry...to where it quit...

Mostly I want the carburetor dry inside before I run it again.

Then put the tiller away in my garage.

Read the manual thoroughly next time bonehead...

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.