Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting in new engine in Troy Built horse tiller.....,

Default Putting in new engine in Troy Built horse tiller.....,

I consider this olde Troy Built Horse tiller to be a survival tool...and possibly very important labor saving machine.

I loaned it out out some years back and the motor got seized up.

Found out that replacement motors are not all that expensive. They are not electric start but I can work my way around that.

Nonetheless...I am in the process of installing the new motor. Have it mounted but still need to put in a new reverse idler pulley. Rigged the new motor by rope and from my come along...to facilitate the installation.

Breaking for dinner and then going back out to my garage to finish up and put oil in the new motor...to begin starting her up.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

What engine did you go with? I know some of the old Horse Tillers came with a Kohler industrial motor. They were really nice. I'd like to find a Horse to rebuild myself. The new ones are crap
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    What engine did you go with? I know some of the old Horse Tillers came with a Kohler industrial motor. They were really nice. I'd like to find a Horse to rebuild myself. The new ones are crap
    I have a Troy Bilt Bronco I bought about twelve years ago. Only complaint I have with it is it doesn't till up a wide enough space...only fourteen inches wide. Takes about two hours to till up my garden with it. But sure beats digging it up with a shovel.

Recently bought a kit for a Honda 7.5 horse power engine......coil, pull rope assembly, oil, carb, spark plug and kill switch. engine is on a Lincoln welder and had been sitting for 10 years.......$40 for the kit...........started 2nd pull.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I have a Troy Bilt Bronco I bought about twelve years ago. Only complaint I have with it is it doesn't till up a wide enough space...only fourteen inches wide. Takes about two hours to till up my garden with it. But sure beats digging it up with a shovel.
    My stepdad has a 5 hp and an older 8hp Horse model. I think it does 18". And it is heavy enough it'll just set and dig instead on bouncing around in clody clay. The 5hp is good for tilling between rows after stuff comes up.
    I'm not sure how long ago is was but Murray bought out TroyBilt. They aren't near what the old ones used to be.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Gentlemen....

Indeed...the motor I am removing is a Kholer engine....I think it dropped a valve as it will not turn over a complete cycle by and without hitting something. I will have to disassemble to be sure.

The replacement is from Harbor Freight and is called a Predator....from this video..on u Tube..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLkC2C-GFpQ

I completed the installation late tonight and put oil in the crankcase..but will not start until tomorrow after fueling.

Installed a new reverse Idler Pulley while I had it apart.

This was a good tiller until I loaned it out...

Will not be doing this again....

Let you guys know how it works after I get it started tomorrow.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Thank You Orangetom,

We do appreciate the update. Not loaning things out. Hard lesson learned. I loaned my 10" Forshner Chefs knife to a guy. When I got it back it had a big chip in it.....That M'F' never replaced it or made any effort to apologize or anything. No one gets to borrow anything anymore. Unless I know they are trust worthy. Sorry about the rant. The Loaning and getting stuff back broken reminded me...

1+ on not loaning
    and the new troybuilt tillers are trash, but the old ones are tanks

OT, I have a troybuilt bronco tiller, came from lowes. Never would run correctly, something just wasn't right. I slapped a predator engine for
    $99 from harbor freight on it about 3 years ago or so, I may have made a post about it I can't remember. She's a reliable little machine now.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the update on Troy Built tillers of current manufacture. I was not aware of this declining trend in their quality.

Oh...and Finris….I only have a set of Chicago Cuttery kitchen knives..but when you have a decent knife set or even my pocket folder for every day carry ..I get quite particular about these tools.

I learned years ago...that a decent kitchen knife set can make a difference in food prep and or kitchen chores.....hence I am choosy and particular about them...
    I even have some replacements brand new still in the package of my most frequently used Chicago Cuttery knives.

And it is similar with any tool I so possess. I get particular about them
    Some people just cannot be bothered to go out and purchase their own gear.....they live by borrowing stuff from others..
    Took me a number of years to figure this out about some people...

I want my tools to be there and in working order when I need them...not broken, damaged, or scattered all about town.
    Ok...now I will stop ranting....

Having morning coffee and toast before going out and attempting to start this tiller.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 05-25-2020 at 09:09 AM.