Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: little things will kill ya

Default little things will kill ya

not in the literal sense
    but stocking EVERYTHING one might possibly need is so hard

case in point.
    working in rock area with my tractor, hit rock that broke off valve stem.
    I don't stock those.
    and I don't have spare tire for the tractor either
    so one tiny part put my big tractor out of operation.
    of course pre shtf it was a quick drive to the co-op tire shop and i was back in operation in an hour.
    but post shtf i would have been severely hampered

then my small diesel tractor with belly deck that i use for mowing had an issue
    tire came off rim
    np, i fixed it
    thought i had lug nuts pretty tight - but i didn't
    discovered 3 of 5 on one side fell off
    np moved one from the other side to give me 4 or 5 until I could get more
    these are metric 10MX125
    went to a handful of auto parts stores - nobody had them in stock
    was able to order 16 from amazon and now all wheels are back to 5 lug nuts
    but post shtf that would have been problematic

I am wondering how many other tiny items am i missing that can take down a whole piece of equipment

reminds me of the old story
    for want of a nail the battle was lost
    https://www.citadel.edu/root/images/...-of-a-nail.pdf

Right off hoses and belts come to mind. I just had a pin for the center link come apart, luckily I had one on hand. But when looking at that found 1 only had 1 lynch pin left.
    Plenty of grease for the grease gun as well. I'm sure there are a thousand others.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Great reminder Explo... we often overlook the large significance of seemingly small things.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

hoses and belts come to mind
    belts are not such a big deal to stock extras
    but all the different hydraulic hoses for all the different equipment I have that uses them would be pretty expensive.
    I do have spare filters for everything, spare spark plugs and lots of those items, but seems like everything has some tiny Achilles heel.

we often overlook the large significance of seemingly small things.
    For sure. This gave me new wake up call on how tough post SHTF is really gonna be.

Best to keep at least a couple of everything that pertains to farm equipment.... Or others....You know I do a lot of gardening. My tiny tractor does a lot of the work but in a post SHTF I thought ahead and bought me a Hoss manual walk behind plow. I though about extra wooden handles but I have lots of trees to carve handle from.

It's hard, you're right, to think of everything but I mostly concentrate on the things I absolutely must have and use a lot and stock up on parts just incase. In your free time, sit still without TV etc... And brain storm. Make a list and keep adding to it until you just can't add any more. As you are making your list, purchase the items on your list as you can afford them. I put stars next to items I've purchased but I don't scratch them out because I may get more later.

Just yesterday I was using my band saw and jammed the blade. It got bent. Luckily, just a couple weeks ago when I was in Harbor Freight, I picked up a couple extra blades of that same teeth. I had other blades but they were finer and were not good for the work I was doing.

About a month ago hubs purchased two more lug nut keys for the locking lugs nuts on my Nissan. It's a good thing because somehow, the one I had was not where it was supposed to be... In the Nissan. He put one of the new ones in the jack compartment and I spotted it when I went to change the flat tire. I eventually found the misplaced one under the seat when I cleaned the car. It must have gotten knocked out of the console when I was cleaning the car out.

Ya just never know til it happens.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Oh yeah, the little things. I keep a gross of those locking pins in a box. I'm always losing those things. I do find some of them eventually....

We have three chain saws. We have enough stocked parts that we could almost open our own store. Hehe. Lots of extra chains for each as well.

I have to start a new list. We bought a 52" Cub Cadet zero turn mower last month from TSC. NO SPARE PART YET.... ACK!

Thanks for the reminder!
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 05-16-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

well this whole think caused me to do some research
    which led me to learning something new
    you CAN make your own hydraulic hoses at home
    I always thought it required special equipment

https://www.greentractortalk.com/thr...tutorial.1473/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JndOT3qvhM4

here's one source for the parts:
    https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...-fittings.html
    https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...lic-hoses.html

We carry hose making equipment and fittings on our work vans. It's actually pretty easy. You can also buy special reuseable fittings.

We carry hose making equipment and fittings on our work vans. It's actually pretty easy. You can also buy special reuseable fittings.
    just goes to show you what a nube I am - after 10 years of prepping hard !

Good links Explo. I've never had to do hoses. But it only takes one.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13