Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revive Old Seeds - Hydrogen Peroxcide

Default Revive Old Seeds - Hydrogen Peroxcide

www.prepschooldaily.blogspot.com

posted specifically for older seeds - it boosts the probability of success with your fresh retail seeds also

"While this tip is meant specifically for boosting the germination of old seeds, even fresh seeds perform much better using this method. A study showed that corn seed, which usually has a germination rate of about 70%, boasted a 95% germination rate. That's significant when every seed counts."

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    www.prepschooldaily.blogspot.com

posted specifically for older seeds - it boosts the probability of success with your fresh retail seeds also

"While this tip is meant specifically for boosting the germination of old seeds, even fresh seeds perform much better using this method. A study showed that corn seed, which usually has a germination rate of about 70%, boasted a 95% germination rate. That's significant when every seed counts."
    That is an awesome tip, thank you so much for this IW

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    That is an awesome tip, thank you so much for this IW

I've been gardening my entire life and this is the first I'm hearing about this >>> I was soaking some old seeds already and switched over to a 3% HP treatment - see what germinates ...

Iíll have to try this. Iíve got some seeds that have been in cold storage for 8 years now. Iíd like to see if the will germinate or not.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Ige got a ton of old seed I'll try this out with.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I germinated aprox 4 yr old seed this year. They were kept in the fridge; onion, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprout, tomato, cauliflower, and cucumber. I had great success.

If I wanted to check my seed I would try a couple with peroxide and a couple without so that you'll know if peroxide is needed or not. That's a great tip though thanks.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

On the subject of seed.... I bought several packages from lowe's this year, had to dig into them because I was out of squash seed. Planted the squash at the same time as my old heirloom seed and only 1 out of the $3 package that had 9 whole seeds in it germinated I left the planters alone and continued to water them along with the other seedlings and roughly 3 weeks later more of them are sprouting. So don't give up on your seeds some just take their time I suppose.

Default 50 cal. ammo can

This is a great tip - hope it works for some of y'all ! I usually get heirloom seeds from Baker Creek (rare seeds dot com) but during the pandemic they sold out of most varieties. Demand must've been great as folks woke up to the possibility of a weakened food supply chain. Once their web site was back up and running again I ordered a boatload of variety, not in large quantities but a large variety spread across the veggie spectrum.

I also purchased a new 50 cal. ammo can and some dessicant packs just for storing my seed stash in a dark, watertight environment until we move to our new place in Tennessee next spring. This tip will work in my favor as I seek to protect my investment in seed stock.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCitizenPatriot View Post
    This is a great tip - hope it works for some of y'all ! I usually get heirloom seeds from Baker Creek (rare seeds dot com) but during the pandemic they sold out of most varieties. Demand must've been great as folks woke up to the possibility of a weakened food supply chain. Once their web site was back up and running again I ordered a boatload of variety, not in large quantities but a large variety spread across the veggie spectrum.

I also purchased a new 50 cal. ammo can and some dessicant packs just for storing my seed stash in a dark, watertight environment until we move to our new place in Tennessee next spring. This tip will work in my favor as I seek to protect my investment in seed stock.
    just set it in the fridge. So far I've had great success. I get mine from theseedguy.net, great family! Welcome to TN! I know of about 4 of us on this forum are in TN

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    just set it in the fridge. So far I've had great success. I get mine from theseedguy.net, great family! Welcome to TN! I know of about 4 of us on this forum are in TN
    a Tupperware container does a good job and the seeds can be disguised as some old frig food sitting in the back ....