Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: "Murder" Hornets spotted in Washington State?!?!?!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    500

    Default "Murder" Hornets spotted in Washington State?!?!?!

    I know it sounds like an intro to a poorly done "B" rate movie, but I looked it up and it's real. These guys are bad.

    As some of you know, I am a bee keeper and I have 6 hives which translates to almost 26 pounds of bees (a lot). I've been doing it on and off for 30 years, and now that I am retired, I got real serious about it. What does this have to do with bees? I am on a call list of apiaries that rescue hives from peoples property. Find homes for them or relocate them to a more suitable place, away from people.

    I was called out on a rescue and when I arrived at the home, the owner pointed me to a large hornet nest. They wanted someone to deal with it for free, which is why they didn't call an exterminator. This happens more than you might think. I packed up my stuff and was going back to the truck, when I saw one of the hornets. It was larger than a regular hornet and I remember the last time I saw one of those things was when I was overseas, tromping through a jungle in the early 70's. I called a buddy of mine and told him to get down here ASAP.

    Why are they bad? They can actually kill people. Their venom is a neurotoxin and in enough quantity, which is astonishingly small, it will shut down your lungs, your heart, and the rest of your muscles. They kill bee hives by loping off the heads of the adults and slurping up the larva in the hive. They are HIGHLY INVASIVE and their sting is horrible (I know). It feels like having a red hot nail driven into your skin and being injected with battery acid and the pain lasts for a couple days. The doctor said I was lucky to have only been stung 5 times. I was wearing a bee suit at the time, and the stingers glided through it as if it was not there.

    Did I mention they kill bee hives? Bees pollinate all of our fruit, much of our vegetables, nuts, basically everything we eat. Long story short: No bees, no food. Bad news. There are a ton of links on this so I didn't include them. Google "Murder Hornets" and you will find a lot of articles. Here is part of one I copied from Fox 59. What they are not reporting, is I was in Oregon when I got stung, and that means they have (past tense) spread. The origin is believed to be our friends in China, who ship goods to ports in Washington and Oregon.

    <p>Here is a quote from FOX-59:</p>
    <blockquote cite="https://fox59.com/news/invasive-murder-hornets-spotted-in-u-s-for-first-time/">
    “Hornets are most destructive in the late summer and early fall, when they are on the hunt for sources of protein to raise next year’s queens,” Truscott said on the WSU’s Insider.

    “They attack honey bee hives, killing adult bees and devouring bee larvae and pupae, while aggressively defending the occupied colony,” he added. “Their stings are big and painful, with a potent neurotoxin. Multiple stings can kill humans, even if they are not allergic.”
    </blockquote>
    Last edited by GR82BPREPD; 05-04-2020 at 10:14 AM.
    Each one hopes that if he feeds the crocodile enough, the crocodile will eat him last W. Churchill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GR82BPREPD View Post
    I know it sounds like an intro to a poorly done "B" rate movie, but I looked it up and it's real. These guys are bad.

    As some of you know, I am a bee keeper and I have 6 hives which translates to almost 26 pounds of bees (a lot). I've been doing it on and off for 30 years, and now that I am retired, I got real serious about it. What does this have to do with bees? I am on a call list of apiaries that rescue hives from peoples property. Find homes for them or relocate them to a more suitable place, away from people.

    I was called out on a rescue and when I arrived at the home, the owner pointed me to a large hornet nest. They wanted someone to deal with it for free, which is why they didn't call an exterminator. This happens more than you might think. I packed up my stuff and was going back to the truck, when I saw one of the hornets. It was larger than a regular hornet and I remember the last time I saw one of those things was when I was overseas, tromping through a jungle in the early 70's. I called a buddy of mine and told him to get down here ASAP.

    Why are they bad? They can actually kill people. Their venom is a neurotoxin and in enough quantity, which is astonishingly small, it will shut down your lungs, your heart, and the rest of your muscles. They kill bee hives by loping off the heads of the adults and slurping up the larva in the hive. They are HIGHLY INVASIVE and their sting is horrible (I know). It feels like having a red hot nail driven into your skin and being injected with battery acid and the pain lasts for a couple days. The doctor said I was lucky to have only been stung 5 times. I was wearing a bee suit at the time, and the stingers glided through it as if it was not there.

    Did I mention they kill bee hives? Bees pollinate all of our fruit, much of our vegetables, nuts, basically everything we eat. Long story short: No bees, no food. Bad news. There are a ton of links on this so I didn't include them. Google "Murder Hornets" and you will find a lot of articles. Here is part of one I copied from Fox 59. What they are not reporting, is I was in Oregon when I got stung, and that means they have (past tense) spread. The origin is believed to be our friends in China, who ship goods to ports in Washington and Oregon.

    <p>Here is a quote from FOX-59:</p>
    <blockquote cite="https://fox59.com/news/invasive-murder-hornets-spotted-in-u-s-for-first-time/">
    “Hornets are most destructive in the late summer and early fall, when they are on the hunt for sources of protein to raise next year’s queens,” Truscott said on the WSU’s Insider.

    “They attack honey bee hives, killing adult bees and devouring bee larvae and pupae, while aggressively defending the occupied colony,” he added. “Their stings are big and painful, with a potent neurotoxin. Multiple stings can kill humans, even if they are not allergic.”
    </blockquote>
    I've been reading about this too. I can't help but think they're doing everything in their power to weaken us as a nation before launching some attack. Since they don't really import from us, they are protecting themselves, while destroying the rest of the world.

    In every millenia, the good people are nearly destroyed by those who are truly evil, because they refuse to accept that the way they've been living is wrong.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,259

    Default

    We've had Japanese giant hornets here for years. I kill them every year around my apple trees. I think they are a subspecies of the Asian giant hornet, but not sure.

    According to Wikipedia, the Japanese giant hornet used to be considered a subspecies, but now they are synonymous. I remember seeing them here when my Granddad was still alive , and he died in 1983.
    Last edited by bambam; 05-04-2020 at 05:20 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,269

    Default

    Never even saw them in Japan...lol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Napalm works every time ..Just sayin'

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    I've been reading about this too. I can't help but think they're doing everything in their power to weaken us as a nation before launching some attack. Since they don't really import from us, they are protecting themselves, while destroying the rest of the world.

    In every millenia, the good people are nearly destroyed by those who are truly evil, because they refuse to accept that the way they've been living is wrong.
    Spot on

    GOD wins...
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle326 View Post
    Napalm works every time ..Just sayin'
    Flame thrower.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,259

    Default

    I just swat the dam things, they're as over-hyped as this dang virus. Ain't near as mean as those frickin yellow-jackets.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Lake LBJ, Texas
    Posts
    8,332

    Default

    Supposed to be good to eat, so I'm wondering, 7 1/2 shot or 8 shot for wing shooting? These won't make it down in South Texas, our killer bees are badazz .

    Then, how to prepare them, quarter out, or simply fillet?
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.


    I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Supposed to be good to eat, so I'm wondering, 7 1/2 shot or 8 shot for wing shooting? These won't make it down in South Texas, our killer bees are badazz .

    Then, how to prepare them, quarter out, or simply fillet?
    Gut, de-wing, pull the legs off, batter and deep fry. I hear they go good (like French fries) with gar fillets.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •