Thread: food shortages

good on you Possum
    keep up the good work
    220lbs of rice is lots of calories

Love me some beans and rice.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Love me some beans and rice.
    Good chili on rice, with some good cornbread, hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Good chili on rice, with some good cornbread, hard to beat.
    chili and crackers, cornbread and homemade apple butter.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Yep! That there's "stick to your ribs" vittles. Grub like that a feller could work for q spell and not run out of "git up n go".

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Yep! That there's "stick to your ribs" vittles. Grub like that a feller could work for q spell and not run out of "git up n go". Washed down with a good cold "suds".

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Possum View Post
    Hi guys. I'm new here but not really new to prepping. I used to be big into storing bulk food in mylar bags and 5 gallon buckets with O2 absorbers. I had built up a pretty decent food supply at one time. That was years ago. Things happen and things change, and I drifted away from prepping for a few years. Stuff got used up or thrown away (not my doing) so in just the last year or so the bug bit me again and I started putting up some extra food week by week. I'm so glad I did. In just the past year me and my wife have put back enough canned food for around 2 to 3 months plus 220 pounds of rice, nearly that much pinto beans, along with flour, cornmeal, grits, pastas, powdered milk and cheese, etc. I know I still have a long way to go to get back to where I was, but we're getting there. The shortages didn't affect my area that much. For awhile bread was limited to 2 items. Ground beef was hard to get for a month or 2. Certain canned foods got scarce for awhile. It seems to come in waves now. One week the grocery store might be out of beef stew and have plenty of Spam, then out of canned chicken and Spam and have cases of beef stew the next trip. I try to stock up on whatever they have that I like while it's there.
    Well, good luck to you all. Keep your powder dry.
    I feel ya on the falling away from prepping. My parents kinda took up the mantel once I had them incepted. I move more toward gaining assets for long term food creation, namely goats. I'll be finally getting on my own land, probably next spring, so I can really start homesteading hardcore. Its good to have the food you regularly eat stored, but the next step is being able to grow/raise your own food and having the skills to do so. I'm really wanting to try out a Walipini/aquaponics set up with a tropical fruit garden year round. Keep on prepping, things are good and its easy to fall into complacency, but the dems will have us into the gutter soon enough when they get their way again.

Me and my wife have an acre with a double wide mobile we bought as one of the land/home packages about 20 years ago. We've been thinking about upgrading and buying 5 -10 acres and putting a new home on it in the next couple years. Someplace that I can have a small orchard (apple, peach, and pear trees) and some dwarf Nigerian goats. I already have a decent size flock of laying hens and a few raised beds. I hear we may be facing more shortages and lockdowns in the coming months if there is another wave of Corona. Also probable unrest and riots when President Trump wins reelection. All we can do is keep prepping and hope for the best.