Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: food shortages

Default food shortages

Here's a few articles (there are many more) about farmers just plowing under fields, dumping milk,etc
    that food used to go somewhere to feed someone - most of it went to restaurants
    but there is simply millions of pounds of food that used to be consumed and will now be wasted
    and the economic impact to the farmers will be catastrophic
    I can't imagine how this avoids future food shortages and MUCH higher prices

wonder how the WIC / EBT crowd will react to only being able to buy 2/3rds or 1/2 the groceries with those $
    I predict not kindly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-supply-waste
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/4/...ns-restaurants
    https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200325.html
    https://www.thestar.com/business/202...cant-sell.html

those are but a few

So we have been personally bolstering our food supply on hand to supplement what i see as a coming food shortage/economic hard times. I think food security is a big upcoming problem taking into account the issues with phosphorous which could lead to up to 50% in a reduction of crop yeilds.
    Vox Populi!

I purchased a large supply of freeze dried food years ago (mountain house) and tried to buy a variety of products and during this shut down, trying to limit my time in grocery stores I have opened a few and eaten them......some good and some not so good.
    Most of what I bought were in the chicken scope...rice, noodles and just veggies, the beef and pork at the time i bought were higher in price.
    For those of you considering adding freeze dried to your preps consider adding more of a variety in the meat dept. than I have...beef, pork, as I will do when all this settles down and availability and price becomes more tolerable.
    Even though I know that when nothing is available this stock I have will suffice my needs I think that I'll try and satisfy my palate a little better

Quote Originally Posted by CENTEXDUDE View Post
    I purchased a large supply of freeze dried food years ago (mountain house) and tried to buy a variety of products and during this shut down, trying to limit my time in grocery stores I have opened a few and eaten them......some good and some not so good.
    Most of what I bought were in the chicken scope...rice, noodles and just veggies, the beef and pork at the time i bought were higher in price.
    For those of you considering adding freeze dried to your preps consider adding more of a variety in the meat dept. than I have...beef, pork, as I will do when all this settles down and availability and price becomes more tolerable.
    Even though I know that when nothing is available this stock I have will suffice my needs I think that I'll try and satisfy my palate a little better
    Have you looked at Textured Vegetable Proteins (TVP) they flavor it lots of ways and it is alot cheaper than real meat. I have it about a 3-1 ratio with real meat. Three cans of TVP to every 1 can of freeze dried meats. It is pretty decent and will help off set getting burnt out on one thing. Not sure you will be able to get it any time soon tho. Just a thought.
    Vox Populi!

Quote Originally Posted by porkingporkpork View Post
    Have you looked at Textured Vegetable Proteins (TVP) they flavor it lots of ways and it is alot cheaper than real meat. I have it about a 3-1 ratio with real meat. Three cans of TVP to every 1 can of freeze dried meats. It is pretty decent and will help off set getting burnt out on one thing. Not sure you will be able to get it any time soon tho. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the info, I'll look into that....might be a game changer compared to the price of real meat.
    Theres just no replacing a griiled steak and baked potato.

Quote Originally Posted by CENTEXDUDE View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'll look into that....might be a game changer compared to the price of real meat.
    Theres just no replacing a griiled steak and baked potato.
    no doubt man. i love a good steak
    Vox Populi!

We too started building more food stocks as soon as I caught any wind of the CV in China. Just felt in my gut it would get here. It made it quicker than I expected. Last few weeks we've hit meat even harder. So far we haven't had to get into any of our supplies, actually had added a fair amount to them. Got a decent start on our gardens and will add to that as time goes forward. Planning to start seed so we will have a good fall garden this year that we typically don't do. Gonna try and find a beef to purchase as well.

I think availability of food is going to get short before long, meat in particular. It might let up a little toward late summer, but I think this winter is going to be rough for a lot of people if a second round of CV comes around and there is another shutdown. Prices have already went up and I expect the curve to rise quickly in the next 2 weeks, maybe 4. I can't even imagine what this winter is gonna look like for prices.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    Here's a few articles (there are many more) about farmers just plowing under fields, dumping milk,etc
    that food used to go somewhere to feed someone - most of it went to restaurants
    but there is simply millions of pounds of food that used to be consumed and will now be wasted
    and the economic impact to the farmers will be catastrophic
    I can't imagine how this avoids future food shortages and MUCH higher prices

wonder how the WIC / EBT crowd will react to only being able to buy 2/3rds or 1/2 the groceries with those $
    I predict not kindly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-supply-waste
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/4/...ns-restaurants
    https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200325.html
    https://www.thestar.com/business/202...cant-sell.html

those are but a few

you realize what a laugh those "article" sources really are >>> it's nothing but garbage sources

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you realize what a laugh those "article" sources really are >>> it's nothing but garbage sources
    didn't even click those links. My thoughts on a food issues has been growing since before the rona hit
    Vox Populi!

My brother-in-law drives 18 wheelers for a living and has told us that it is getting REALLY hard for them to do their job. It is next to impossible to find a place to use the bathroom as most truck stops have closed the buildings. The only places you can buy a meal from are drive through only. And there is a lot of fear out there. Physical stores and online stores are running really thin on stock, even things that are not essential. Supply chains are finally now seeing the effects of China being shut down, and the problems are only going to get worse before they get better.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best