Thread: More Power! 2 small wind turbines.

Default More Power! 2 small wind turbines.

Mostly just picking your brains about your set ups. We need more power on the sailboat. At the moment we have 500 Watt worth of solar on the aft sailarch and installing 400 more on cockpit hard top. Have a nice big MPPT controller and all the accessories, panels etc. I did a small "parking lot purchase" and picked up a little 300 w wind turbine. The only reason I bought it was that it was NIB and cheap. I'm talking a couple bucks oh and it has a metal housing. Neighbor is giving me his bigger (600W?) Unit, all I need are the blades, Irma was kinda mean to it.

So my plan..... use the 300w with the trailer bunker along with its solar set up and the big unit on our liveaboard. They are both just for night time trickle charge, just to help with things like the dometic 12v fridge, lights etc. My solar charges everything by 11 am so it's not like I need the wind genny to do all of charging.

Questions.
    1: The base of these look like your standard bolt patterns for a plumbing floor flange, but those are cast and galvanized, everything on my boat is stainless or aluminum. What have some of you used?

2: Break switches. There a several cheapo's out on the market but I'm not sure they are big and safe enough. There's also a lot of YouTube commandos building monstrosities lol. Thought I'd ask and see if anyone around here has experience w any of this.

3: The way the turbine is wired, 3 wire single phase (AC), and how one must connect to its controller (DC Rectifier) I'm confused how the wires wont eventually twist up and pull loose once the head unit turns around and around, chasing the wind angle.

I know I'll eventually master this like other systems of ours, I just wish I was as experienced with wind gennies as I am with marine sanitation systems.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

I have a commercial transmission tower on top of a local 3,000 ft mountain. Primary power is solar, and I did some testing with wind. I used a 600w WindX generator (they have since been bought out and small generators are no longer in production). I mounted it at 30 feet on my 200 foot tower. Its hike or chopper only, so access only happens periodically.

The generator had a built in rectifier. I ran it into my MPPT controller with a dump into a dummy load (in a 55 gal barrel of water/antifreeze, in the shack, for winter heat for the batteries - it gets down to -30F in the winter). The transfer of power was done by brushes on the swivel, so no worry about the witches head twisting off. Remote monitoring showed it did contribute at night and during snow storms.

What I found, on my periodic visits, were the blades eventually blew off, the two inch plumbing pipes bent, and well, it didn't work out for me... lol. If I had been in attendance, I would have been able to tweak it to work properly.

It's really too remote for a BOL, someone might (hopefully) find a frozen body.... too bad
    Last edited by Winni; 04-06-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

Put a tail on the windmill so that you can turn the bladed sideways except when wind speed and direction work for you. I cant wee galvanized lasting long in salt air, by flats boat stores on land but even chrome and stainless rust down there, on the water must be bad.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Dang, sounds like it worked ok but not for the costs and efforts of maintenance. Thanks for the info/story.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Put a tail on the windmill so that you can turn the bladed sideways except when wind speed and direction work for you. I cant wee galvanized lasting long in salt air, by flats boat stores on land but even chrome and stainless rust down there, on the water must be bad.
    So just tie it down, simple, makes sense. And yeah, everything down here turns back into salt eventually.

That's why I'm curious about the flange pattern. If I still had my shop it would be a no brainers and I'd turn one down on the lathe or weld up a nice chunk of aluminum.