Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cities are screwed

I'm maybe 20 miles from the biggest city around here, 8-10 to the biggest one near me. Wife's boss took her family to Fl for spring break. I don't think they did a lot while there, but was going out to dinner and such. Anyway when they got back wife told her she would be there for 2 weeks to make sure they didn't get sick. So far they haven't, but they talked Wed and she told the wife to wait 2 more weeks. I just finished my 3rd week working from home. I'm lucky in a couple ways in that regard. Being sick for as long as I was with respritory problems, I was the first one they sent home. Also, most of the other supervisors are still working and can do certain things that I need done face to face. I've been helping the main guy helping me out with some of his stuff.
    Even though I'm closer than I wish to crowded areas even though still somewhat rural. Many folks around here are just in denial about it. Many others just going on with live as if nothing matters. We have went out a couple times, other than calling in groceries and going by for pick up. About the only thing I want to do soon is go to Lowes for some lumber and tomato and herb plants. We do order some extra on any call in, mainly just so we aren't diving into any of our long term stocks and try to add a little like we do anyway.
    I've got some lettuce, spinach, a few onions growing. Planted cabbage, parsnips, and radishes this week. Planning to plants pepper, cucumbers, & okra tomorrow. I didn't get my tomatos started from seed, so need to find some of those or they will be really late. Haven't grown any in a few years, but may plant a couple rows of potatoes.
    Last edited by bacpacker1513; 04-03-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

All I'm going to say is, I need to reorganize to make more room...I think this mess is going to last a lot longer than CDC is predicting, or telling the public. I'm not going to wait to find out. We're in good shape but I want to exceed my suspicions.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by C. Wildcat View Post
    I just planted (corn, green beans, squash, maters, okra, bell peppers and cucumber last week.... I didn't get new taters planted this yr ( I was working in SC)....
    I got some seed taters ready if you need some.
    Vox Populi!

I've been wide open full throttle with work just got home at 8:30 tonight, and have a full day scheduled tomorrow. The ground is finally drying enough to put my equipment back to work. I've actually hired one of my clients lol kinda weird. Hopefully I'll get my garden started but there's a chance of rain all week next week.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I plan to be planting tomorrow to beat the rains. But it's only 20-50% all week. My ground is just now drying out enough to work.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    I plan to be planting tomorrow to beat the rains. But it's only 20-50% all week. My ground is just now drying out enough to work.
    What are you planting there backpacker ? We are a month away from our last frost, but I did plant some garlic and a few taters in my raised beds. Might plant a row of peas tomorrow, we've had warmer than normal temps, but still too early to plant most things.

Hopefully, Cucumbers, Okra, Peppers, Maybe taters, squash. Depends a lot on how dry the ground is. May wait until Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I sure worry about my kids in San Antonio. I keep them relatively prepped and armed with instructions to go to Texan II house which is about halfway to ranch. He knows enough LEO down there I think to get them safe passage on to ranch. Or they can come here. Wish we had a better method to communicate to determine which direction to go.
    Chip - How far roughly do your kids have to go to get to you? We have a similar situation going now after our move to AZ, leaving family behind in San Diego, about a 6 hr drive. We have a true off-grid house in the CA desert about 2 hrs out which is a good hideout, but the ultimate destination would be the ranch in AZ.......