Thread: Sailing

Default Sailing

I've been getting into sailing the last 9 or 10 years. It's pretty interesting and you can keep it as simple, or go as complex as you want.

I highly recommend learning to sail. And on top of that, sailboats are a great bug out vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Droid View Post
    I've been getting into sailing the last 9 or 10 years. It's pretty interesting and you can keep it as simple, or go as complex as you want.

I highly recommend learning to sail. And on top of that, sailboats are a great bug out vehicle.
    I was one of those avid sailors. Lived aboard a 50' Valliant. It was rigged for single hand sailing, but I always liked the company of others, on the long trips. I took it sailing to Hawaii, and then on to the South Pacific and back. Mostly I sailed up and down the West Coast, from Anchorage to San Fran. My work has always been flexible as long as I can connect to the internet. I traded all that in for a lawn mower and a rake, when I married my wife. She got queezy in two foot swells out on the Puget Sound and I have never seen someone so miserable as that woman out on the ocean.

I don't know if it is still in publication, but a book that would be good to have is "Dutton's Navigation". It teaches you about how to plot courses, shoot your position using a sextant, dead reaconing, and other handy things. In today's electronic age, it is horrifying how few people don't even understand the basics of how to figure out their positions, by using the stars, moon, and sun. That works on land as well as at sea. Another book is "The Complete Sailing Manual". It will teach you about attack angles. Relationships between wind and waves. Apparent wind direction. How to rig sails and which ones to use in different conditions.

Good luck!
    "Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then." - Philip K. Dick

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate that. My wife loves the water and she kinda pushed me into giving it all up. All I had to do was take her sailing once, she was hooked.

I can't do that cold water/weather stuff anymore, to many Wyoming winters lol. I'm sticking with the Keys, Bahamas and Virgin Islands for the time being.

I'm trying to grasp celestial navigation, I'll probably take a course or two. I loved the ASA coastal navigation class.

Duttons will help with the celestial nav.

Watch the weather in the gulf. I have never sailed a place that scared me as much as that. It is astounding how fast a squall can develop and the wave trains come out of strange directions.

Be safe out there, and keep the keel pointed down.
    "Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then." - Philip K. Dick

Indeed! If we cut loose it will only be within an hour or two from home base, keep an eye on things and that's only if things go to crap. Have a couple of holes nearby......

Even then we are part of a big flotilla, it would involve a few other floaters.
    Last edited by Bad Droid; 04-03-2020 at 12:10 PM.