Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st TP now baby chicks?

Blushing.... just trying to help.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I vacuum seal. What I do to keep the powder from being vacuumed out is to make my bags a little bigger so I can fold the opening I'm sealing over, then pushing out as much air as I can by hand before putting it in the vac sealer. I do the heat seal twice to make two seals.
    After that, they go in a Mylar bag and heat sealed without vacuum.

You can also use the vac seal for jars and seal them that way but you still need to either place ea jar in a Mylar or paint the jars black to block out light. I also put oxygen absorbers in each just for extra measure.
    https://www.whenshtf.com/images/smilies/usa.gif
    Thank you for that explanation Camouflaged. I do have a food saver device here but have not considered using it on the powdered Milk....but will now. I also have somewhere the mason jar sealing attachment and hose.

Also thanks for the explaination of the Avian flu. Yes..I remember that event now.

Still....it leaves a huge question mark on the dried egg explanation versus regular eggs. Dried eggs are to me astonishingly high in price....they never went back down.

I love eggs...breakfast...I could eat breakfast three times a day. Grandpas breakfast at Cracker Barrel....chicken fried chicken, white gravy, biscuits,...eggs over well...taters...jam...could eat that any time day or night and often did.

Looks like it will be awhile before any of us go back to cracker barrel...or any other establishment.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-30-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Same here. We love breakfast for any meal. Can't help you on the powdered eggs unless you have a freeze dryer. When I freeze dry my eggs, I put them in my instapot blender to powder them, then vac seal them the same way I do powdered milk.

If you can find someone local that has fresh eggs, you can scramble them raw and freeze them raw.

I just froze 12 dozen.... Sunday....
    Live Free or Die

How much of a shelf life do you think you've added? To the dry milk.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    https://www.whenshtf.com/images/smilies/usa.gif
    Thank you for that explanation Camouflaged. I do have a food saver device here but have not considered using it on the powdered Milk....but will now. I also have somewhere the mason jar sealing attachment and hose.

Also thanks for the explaination of the Avian flu. Yes..I remember that event now.

Still....it leaves a huge question mark on the dried egg explanation versus regular eggs. Dried eggs are to me astonishingly high in price....they never went back down.

I love eggs...breakfast...I could eat breakfast three times a day. Grandpas breakfast at Cracker Barrel....chicken fried chicken, white gravy, biscuits,...eggs over well...taters...jam...could eat that any time day or night and often did.

Looks like it will be awhile before any of us go back to cracker barrel...or any other establishment.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    You omitted one essential ingredient...Georgia ice cream (grits)

I honestly don't know, but we are still using the powdered milk I repkged 4 years ago. I make biscuts, bake cakes, milk bread and cornbread and anything else that's baked with it and it tastes fantastic. I never could drink milk. I'm lactose intolerant. Milk makes me dbl over with cramps. Same with ice cream with milk in it, but I'm fine with it in baked goods.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    How much of a shelf life do you think you've added? To the dry milk.

How many do you freeze in one pkg? I freeze 4 per pkg as one meal for me and hubs. 2 eggs ea. Do you ever add cream or milk to yours? It makes the eggs really fluffy when thawed and scrambled. When I'm out of cream, I use milk. About 1/8 cup per two eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Wildcat View Post
    I just froze 12 dozen.... Sunday....

Same on the lactose. I prefer the taste of goat's milk 10 to 1 over cow's. Thanks for the info on the milk storage, that has been my hang up. Now that I know I will store more, that stuff is too expensive to feed to the dogs.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I hear that!