Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st TP now baby chicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    How many do you freeze in one pkg? I freeze 4 per pkg as one meal for me and hubs. 2 eggs ea. Do you ever add cream or milk to yours? It makes the eggs really fluffy when thawed and scrambled. When I'm out of cream, I use milk. About 1/8 cup per two eggs.
    4 per pkg.... and I put some in old ice trays that I'll take out and vac seal
    Live Free or Die

Camouflaged...

If you can find someone local that has fresh eggs, you can scramble them raw and freeze them raw.
    Wow!! I never thought about this as well...but will now. This has been a very useful thread...thank you.

Olde Timer,

You omitted one essential ingredient...Georgia ice cream (grits)
    I was not raised on grits..I'll eat them..but....I usually prefer potatoes. Yeah...I know that is a sacrilege in places here down south...!! Taters and onions!! Yummy!!

A lot of folks here put Texas Pete on their breakfast too...never quite caught on to that as well ...though on occasion I like Texas Pete..

But I do love me some breakfast ...any time of he day or night. I verily liked mid rats breakfast when I was in the Air Force. A lot of folks did not like it but I liked SOS.

Thanks to all for their posts...this has been a very informative thread.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-31-2020 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Camouflaged...

Wow!! I never thought about this as well...but will now. This has been a very useful thread...thank you.

Olde Timer,

I was not raised on grits..I'll eat them..but....I usually prefer potatoes. Yeah...I know that is a sacrilege in places here down south...!! Taters and onions!! Yummy!!

A lot of folks here put Texas Pete on their breakfast too...never quite caught on to that as well ...though on occasion I like Texas Pete..

But I do love me some breakfast ...any time of he day or night. I verily liked mid rats breakfast when I was in the Air Force. A lot of folks did not like it but I liked SOS.

Thanks to all for their posts...this has been a very informative thread.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Yu should have seen the "spread" my grandmother put on the table at breakfast. Fried potatoes, grits, rice, country ham, bacon, red eye gravy, biscuits the size of a softball, coffee, fresh milk and fresh home churned butter. Walk away from her table hungry it was your own fault. Oh, and all this was cooked on a wood burning stove. Man !!! Those were the days!!!!!

Yeah beo, I remember those days.... Those were perfect times in my eyes. My grandmas house was full of family. My grandma had 21 children. Lots of twins in that brood and lots of grandkids from that brood. Family gatherings were intense and lots of fun when I was a kid and even a young adult with 4 kids of my own.. Yep, those were perfect times!
    You left out huge stacks of pancakes and mounds of fresh fruit right off the vines. 😜
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Yeah beo, I remember those days.... Those were perfect times in my eyes. My grandmas house was full of family. My grandma had 21 children. Lots of twins in that brood and lots of grandkids from that brood. Family gatherings were intense and lots of fun when I was a kid and even a young adult with 4 kids of my own.. Yep, those were perfect times!
    You left out huge stacks of pancakes and mounds of fresh fruit right off the vines. 😜
    Ahhh, the sweet, beautiful memories. Yep! Pancakes and fresh fruit...along with cane syrup boiled down from cane juice at home. These and so many other things I miss so much about spending time on the farm with my grandparents and one of my uncles who lived with them and farmed with granddad. This was back in the 50s. The best of times.

Speaking homemade syrup..... I was cutting some low branches of my trees and the next day noticed the sap pouring out in a very steady stream of one of the maples. Of course I stood under it for a little drink. To my disappointment it was not very sweet......... I guess it takes a lot to boil down for Syrup
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Collect it and see what you can make of it. I've never tapped maple trees. I've only made syrup using Karo and brown sugar with nutmeg and vanilla extract. I love maple syrup but I have to buy it.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Flock, syrup is boiled down to at least 1/10 of what you start with. Maybe less than that.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I watched some videos on the whole process but that with my recent taste test is the extent of my knowledge. 10/1 that is a lot of boiling down, 2.5-3 gallons could give you roughly a quart of syrup.

Thanks backpacker, Callie I believe I need to study a little more.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

That sounds Bout right. I've never done it, but have talked to folks making molasses (similar process) and they were taking several gallons down to a few quarts.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13