Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st TP now baby chicks?

Not surprising since there has been a run on eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    goats?
    Already there. Does in milk are selling out in my area. Craigslist is full of bucks and some new doelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Not to tell you your business but, just an FYI, you need to have 1 Roo per 5 hens and 1 drake per 3 duck hens.
    Thank you. If it came down to needing a rooster I would build a special home just for him and a few hens. At this time I have no need or desire, the yard is much more peaceful, and no blood spots in the eggs not to mention all the extra noise. We don't eat our chickens, it's just not worth the hassle and mess because they're so cheap at the grocery store. If I were to raise birds for food I would get back into quail, they're quick from egg to table fairly clean and quiet. Here's some info. In my opinion they are the optimal homestead and survival animal. https://www.purelypoultry.com/jumbo-...gs-p-1192.html
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I tend to agree with you about the noise.
    I raised quail and pheasant for several years I really enjoy them but the drawback is that they have to be contained whereas chickens don't. Their mortality rate is a lot different too.

After a while, a roosters crowing becomes white noise.

Personally, I wouldn't own a rooster either if I didn't want my flock to produce more chickens. Problem is, a chickens life span is only about 5 years under good conditions. In an extended SHTF situation, what you see is what you get and there's no more afterward. No eggs, not meat and empty store shelves, so for me, I'm willing to tolerate a couple of nice Roo's at a time to keep my flock replenished. All excess is processed and goes in the freezer or freeze dried.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Just an Observation.....looking back on history.....about eggs...

Some years back...there was supposed to have been some kind of bug going around which effected the chicken population and many many chickens in this country had to be put down.

This created an egg shortage....

In particular it effected the price of dried eggs from which the marketplace has not recovered to this day. Dried eggs have almost tripled in price..

Now...

I don't see this price being reflected in whole eggs per se...but dried eggs mostly .a good prepping item.....in like manner to dried milk. And Dried milk has also significantly gone up in price as well.

What have certain metals done in the marketplace...not justs PM's...buts other metals...Nickle, aluminum, copper, lead...etc etc et al ??

I have quietly believed this dried egg shortage was manufactured to hide someone removing huge quantities of dried eggs from the marketplace...

Not just dried eggs but other commodities as well....as reflected in increased prices...vehicle batteries...tires....etc etc etc.

I think someone out here is quietly stockpiling...without most catching on and have been doing this for some time now....and while many of us are distracted by ESPN and the Kardashians...et al.

You guys don't have to buy into this ..it is just my rabid runaway Non Ishmaelite thoughts.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

I'm glad I don't have to worry myself over the egg. Fresh or dried. All my excess fresh home grown eggs are freeze dried and stashed away. Luckily, I have enough layers that We have fresh daily with some to spare, just incase.

As for milk, over the years I have been buying small quantities of powdered/dried milk and repkging it for safer storage. Same with flour and starters for making bread.

I have my grandparents and fox fire to thank for my insites to accumulate staples way in advance.

About the only issue I have at home is my husband chomping at the bit to go back to work. I have to give him a pep talk about every three days. Last resort is telling him, if he insists on going in to work, take his backpack and stay there because he's not coming home until we get the green light. That usually works and he chills out until the next time. I'm beginning to think he is one that will not take retirement easily. It's just not in his nature. I do understand though, but still..... Our health is more important!
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 03-30-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Camouflaged...

Would be interested and appreciative of you outlining for me how you repackage dried milk for safer storage. I am not familiar with this method. Flour and other items too.

My powdered milk is in a box...cardboard box. I think the shelf life is not long...

My thanks in advance.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

I vacuum seal. What I do to keep the powder from being vacuumed out is to make my bags a little bigger so I can fold the opening I'm sealing over, then pushing out as much air as I can by hand before putting it in the vac sealer. I do the heat seal twice to make two seals.
    After that, they go in a Mylar bag and heat sealed without vacuum.

You can also use the vac seal for jars and seal them that way but you still need to either place ea jar in a Mylar or paint the jars black to block out light. I also put oxygen absorbers in each just for extra measure.

It's called Avian flu or bird flu and it's still a threat. The VMDL enforced all fowl owners to have their flocks tested annually.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Just an Observation.....looking back on history.....about eggs...

Some years back...there was supposed to have been some kind of bug going around which effected the chicken population and many many chickens in this country had to be put down.

This created an egg shortage....

In particular it effected the price of dried eggs from which the marketplace has not recovered to this day. Dried eggs have almost tripled in price..

Now...

I don't see this price being reflected in whole eggs per se...but dried eggs mostly .a good prepping item.....in like manner to dried milk. And Dried milk has also significantly gone up in price as well.

What have certain metals done in the marketplace...not justs PM's...buts other metals...Nickle, aluminum, copper, lead...etc etc et al ??

I have quietly believed this dried egg shortage was manufactured to hide someone removing huge quantities of dried eggs from the marketplace...

Not just dried eggs but other commodities as well....as reflected in increased prices...vehicle batteries...tires....etc etc etc.

I think someone out here is quietly stockpiling...without most catching on and have been doing this for some time now....and while many of us are distracted by ESPN and the Kardashians...et al.

You guys don't have to buy into this ..it is just my rabid runaway Non Ishmaelite thoughts.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

This world needs a lot more women like Camouflaged.....a true gem.