Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st TP now baby chicks?

Default 1st TP now baby chicks?

this one would not have occurred to me either

The combination of an enormous rise in unemployment, anxious free time for those not struggling with illness, and financial instability has created a number of strange moments in economics. Here’s another: For the next few weeks, baby chickens are next to impossible to find.

Apparently when times are tough, people want chickens. Chick sales go up during stock market downturns and in presidential election years.

Murray McMurray Hatchery, of Webster City, Iowa, ships day-old poultry through the Postal Service, and is almost completely sold out of chicks for the next four weeks.

“People are panic-buying chickens like they did toilet paper,” said Tom Watkins, the vice president of the company.

Down at your Tractor Supply Company, a national chain of farm stores, long lines snake out the door into the parking lot before the store opens on the morning of a chick delivery. Many feed stores report they are selling out of chicks almost as fast as they can get new orders in.
    https://dnyuz.com/2020/03/28/america...baby-chickens/

yep. they are selling out around my parts. Also good luck finding any bags of compost.
    Vox Populi!

I didn't think yuppies would eat eggs if they saw where they came out of.

Yesterday we went to TSC to look at zero turn mowers. They had 9 troughs full of them. At least 50 in each. I thought, hey, may as well pick a few more up tomorrow. Well, went in there today to pick up the mower and there were 6 straight runs left of the Bantams. I don't want straight run. All I wanted was pullets so I passes on them. If they get more in, I'll pick some up. I just want to beef up my flock. I have enough roosters. I want hens. If no more come in, oh well...
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 03-29-2020 at 12:08 AM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

If no more come in, oh well...
    exactly the attitude of an experienced prepper. "I can get by on what I have already, but if the opportunity presents to add to my preps on my terms i take it"

so a thought experiment .....
    what is the next unexpected item to be the subject of dramatically increased demand?

bees?
    rabbits?
    goats?
    farm equipment?
    fertilizer?
    potting soil?

I think it is potting soil... The new balcony gardeners are on the move.....Been hearing some rumbles.
    After that, who knows, but if they were really smart, hydroponics would be the easiest and best way..

I hate our chickens...lol bit like eggs. Glad my wife takes care of them cause I would have had 9 shake n bake dinners by now

This is a very good thing, the more that are self sufficient the less people become "desperate"
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I have roughly 3 dozen duck eggs staggered about a weeks worth apart, and 18 guinea eggs in my incubator. The first 16 ducks are due to hatch any day! still roughly a month away from the keets hatching. I don't have a rooster so my chicken eggs are not fertile, but I have a friend who raise chickens all organic and could easily get a rooster or two or fertile eggs from.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

They should start laying just in time to stop laying for the winter.

Not to tell you your business but, just an FYI, you need to have 1 Roo per 5 hens and 1 drake per 3 duck hens.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I have roughly 3 dozen duck eggs staggered about a weeks worth apart, and 18 guinea eggs in my incubator. The first 16 ducks are due to hatch any day! still roughly a month away from the keets hatching. I don't have a rooster so my chicken eggs are not fertile, but I have a friend who raise chickens all organic and could easily get a rooster or two or fertile eggs from.