Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I didn't foresee this

Default I didn't foresee this

I always figured the golden hord would be leaving the cities after an EMP or dirty bomb
    or after the cities became too dangerous to live in after economic collapse
    I just did not see large numbers of people able to move freely and doing so at this moment
    don't see it as an issue where I am, but lots of areas where people have second homes are seeing the arrival of people.
    just talked to prepper relative who lives along the Canadian border where people have second homes, he says the summer crowd has arrived months early

a few articles along the same lines

As wealthy New Yorkers flee the city to practice social distancing in the Hamptons, they aren't exactly being welcomed with open arms by the locals.

On numerous Hamptons Facebook pages, "STAY HOME" messages sit alongside pictures of empty store shelves, citations of the rising number of coronavirus cases, and even anecdotes of state troopers all meant to dissuade city dwellers from infiltrating the full-time residents' offseason sanctuary.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/hamp...us-2020-3?op=1
    https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2...-wish-go-away/
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-defiant.html

seeing a lot of New Yorkers coming through West Virginia. So much for the stay at home orders.

We've been seeing a little of this in my rural area as well. Today, we went to our local small town Walmart to pick up another 12,000 BTU window unit and we saw so many out of state tags it concerned us quite a bit. These people have decimated their resources so now they are rushing our little stores. Pisses me off!

Our Walmart has now desided to do CK points in our zip code. If it's not in our zip code, they won't get to shop. Walmart is already rationing quantity. Now thEy are being forced to card for zip codes. That's a shame we have to resort to that but that's what happens when people get greedy!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Limiting quantity is one thing and understandable but prejudicially denying access... That's just wrong what if it's a family just passing through? I used to all of the time when traveling with my family. There's one in almost any decent size town and they used to be open 24 hrs and have clean restrooms.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

We are NOT A Decent size town. It's a small, farmers town. We have only one small Walmart store. It's not a super store. It's one of the first Walmarts. And we have an old Brookshire bros grocery store. Two convenient store/gas stations, a liquor store and a TSC and two cattle feed stores. Our small town serves 4 counties. People don't just pass through. It's not on any major routes. The next town of any size is Bryan/College Station and it's almost 50 miles away. Th majority of the residents here are elderly. The roads in my town rolls up mostly around 6pm. Walmart and Brookshire bros closes as 8 pm. Most of everyone here is rural.

The people doing wrong are those exhausting their resources and praying on small rural towns for their resources without remorse.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 03-24-2020 at 10:42 PM.

most of what you guys are talking about goes on every year - same people travel to those very same destinations - vacation homes, family, vacations ect ect >>> it's just being concentrated currently because of the biz shutdowns and the people off of work - AND - you are being uber senzitive and attentive because of the SHTF

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    most of what you guys are talking about goes on every year - same people travel to those very same destinations - vacation homes, family, vacations ect ect >>> it's just being concentrated currently because of the biz shutdowns and the people off of work - AND - you are being uber senzitive and attentive because of the SHTF
    True...to a point. But in times like these, especially, there are still those who will go to whatever lengths necessary to get what they need...and way beyond...without any regard that they are depriving others of necessities. There is, always has been, and always will be, a certain element of our society...or any society...who don't give a shlt about anyone but themselves. Greed, selfishness and paranoia combined. I guess that's just human nature and I don't know what can be done to change it.
    Last edited by beowulf; 03-25-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Seeing the same here in the vacationland of the north east. Summer homes are at their mid summer max, stores stripped, and we just started Spring. The stores here are built to take the summer hordes. They are mostly hanging about their houses, since the restaurants and bars are closed, the stores stripped and the amusement parks are still snowed in..

We should have closed the borders to non residents
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

Our town is not a summer home place. It has nothing to offer to those summer place people. Pretty much everyone in this town has lived here their entire lives like their family before them. There is no land available. This is a cattle rancher town. There's not even an RV. Park. Just cattle and exotic game ranchers and farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    True...to a point. But in times like these, especially, there are still those who will go to whatever lengths necessary to get what they need...and way beyond...without any regard that they are depriving others of necessities. There is, always has been, and always will be, a certain element of our society...or any society...who don't give a shlt about anyone but themselves. Greed, selfishness and paranoia combined. I guess that's just human nature and I don't know what can be done to change it.

you're almost writing a foreword for prepping - we not only prepare to take care of ourselves >> but to protect ourselves and isolate ourselves from these type of azzholes of life ...

you see initially the Black Friday type buying craze and it actually continues long afterward - but it's much less concentrated to specific store and time frame - all we can do is to avoid those situations and the people ...