Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can tell I'm getting olde...what was I not thinking here......

Default I can tell I'm getting olde...what was I not thinking here......

Good grief.....I can tell I'm getting on in years here....by what I am not thinking about under theses circumstances....

Took me this long to think it through........

It occurred to me while rummaging around in my garage for certain items to pre stage for use.....reckon I'm slowing down..I should have realized this before I did.

Here it is..........

With all the lockdown coming....will we be seeing a very noticeable rise in the birth rates in about 9 months...????

Think about it.....human nature and all...

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom

I have a motto.... On it not in it......lol

In the 1960s there was a major Blackout in the northeast. I was living in Connecticut at the time. It was encompassing several states.

Guess what happened 9 months later?

It wasn't hard to figure out what A LOT of people were doing .... nine months earlier.

Yeah...but I was thinking about prepping and or survival....and not that...

And that is what took me so long to realize how long in the tooth I am getting...

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

I've never thought of myself as getting old, but at nearly 75 years of age I reckon I am. Sandy always used to tell me I needed to slow down, that I wasn't Superman. My daughters now tell me that I need to let them take care of me more, the way I and their mother did them when they were young. They do have a point. Many times when I've gone home to Georgia to visit my mom, I'd buy groceries for her, or something. When she offered to pay me for them I'd tell her she didn't owe me anything, It was just my way of partially repaying her for all she did for me when I was a child. So, I suppose I need to start to listening to my girls. As much as it sticks in my craw to admit it, I really ain't no spring chicken any more.

Beo, you might not be the spring chicken of yore, but you still peck with the best of 'em!!

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I've never thought of myself as getting old, but at nearly 75 years of age I reckon I am. Sandy always used to tell me I needed to slow down, that I wasn't Superman. My daughters now tell me that I need to let them take care of me more, the way I and their mother did them when they were young. They do have a point. Many times when I've gone home to Georgia to visit my mom, I'd buy groceries for her, or something. When she offered to pay me for them I'd tell her she didn't owe me anything, It was just my way of partially repaying her for all she did for me when I was a child. So, I suppose I need to start to listening to my girls. As much as it sticks in my craw to admit it, I really ain't no spring chicken any more.
    True but us old roosters can be cagey and still get things done . Maybe not as fast as when we were young but slow and steady with less mistakes . Take help as needed , no more no less .

Run Low Drive On

Quote Originally Posted by eagle326 View Post
    True but us old roosters can be cagey and still get things done . Maybe not as fast as when we were young but slow and steady with less mistakes . Take help as needed , no more no less .

Run Low Drive On
    My problem is, and I'll admit it, I've always been hard-headed independent. Do anything I could to help someone else, but almost rather take a beating than ask for help. That can be a strength or a weakness. I don't think its a case of stubborn pride as much as just an attitude or belief that I can take care of myself. I guess we all reach the point, though...if we live long enough...that we aren't as independent as we once were. For some its just hard to come to terms with and accept. I guess I'm one of those, but I'm learning how a little at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGunn View Post
    Beo, you might not be the spring chicken of yore, but you still peck with the best of 'em!!
    Ah, yes! quality over quanity.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle326 View Post

Run Low Drive On
    Nicely stated olde man....nicely stated...

Holy Cow...!!!

My problem is, and I'll admit it, I've always been hard-headed independent. Do anything I could to help someone else, but almost rather take a beating than ask for help. That can be a strength or a weakness. I don't think its a case of stubborn pride as much as just an attitude or belief that I can take care of myself. I guess we all reach the point, though...if we live long enough...that we aren't as independent as we once were. For some its just hard to come to terms with and accept. I guess I'm one of those, but I'm learning how a little at a time.
    Wow...I'm looking in a mirror here....!!!

I always knew....and in certain of ways had it driven home by my Father...that there were times as a man...one would be walking alone....doing alone..solving problems alone....no one was coming to help you ...no one was coming to rescue you ...save you from the next calamity..the next risky/even dangerous task.....hence one had better learn to deal with much ...ones self..to walk alone ...or learn to do without.

The law of the minimum...I sometimes call it...as much as one can....not being high maintenance.

As I get older I notice a lot more of what I call high maintenance males out here....almost feminine...and know it not.

Makes me realize and appreciate that my Fathers generation had to be some rough tough SOB's....and before them even more....

They never had half or what we take for granted today....the Ladies too!!!!

Gave me a new appreciation for the olde word..... Salty!!

Asking myself how many of us will have the Salt to get through what is coming...???

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-23-2020 at 01:34 PM.