Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had to snicker... Burt from tremors

In the back of my mind, I have always been more concerned for biological war, moreso than anything else, and prepped heavy for that, but at the same time realized the other situations are just as libel to happen.
    Im also finding out that even though I am more than comfortable being captive on my piece of this planet, my husband is having problems dealing with it. He is not used to being confined, so I am doing everything I know how to keep him occupied while holding down the home front, keeping things in perspective. It's not bad right now but unless he comes to terms with the prospect of this becoming long term, I'm prepping now to deal with that in the near future. He is trying hard. I do think he is beginning to realize this is very real and not a trial run. I'm thinking the reality of all this is starting to actually sink in for him.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I'm kinda like that too Cammi. I've been used to getting up and going to work for the last 43 years. I'm working from home for now, but it's quite different. I'm considering trying to work in the evenings and work outside during the day. At least some of the time. I feel like I'm not being productive at all right now, even though I taking care of stuff I need to.
    It is a big change of pace. I'm planning to retire in 5 years, or at least was before this. Gonna use it as kind of a test run.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Same with my husband. He has worked the same job for 43 years. Rarely has he missed a day of work, even not taking actual vacation time most of his work history. This is going to be harder on him than me. I retired from nursing in 98' and become very comfortable with home life and out of the work force. My work the last 20 plus years has been wrapped around making home a self sustaining fortress for us while hubs worked outside and away from home.

When we met and married 21 years ago, he lived in Austin, Texas. Everything was at his finger tips. It took him a couple years just to adjust to living the country life after we married because I refused to move back to the burbs. Now he loves the seclusion but still enjoys going to a populated town on the weekends aside from going to work every day. I just hope over time, he doesn't get pissy AND HARD TO DEAL WITH...! LOL He's a great guy but he can be a handful sometimes.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Where I am employed...all the big Nimitz class aircraft carriers were born...so too the USS Enterprise..and now too the Ford Class Aircraft Carriers.

Also born here are Virginia Class Submarines as well as the older Los Angeles boats still in service.

I am picking up stories this weekend that this facility will not be shutting down. However...I am thinking they may be on reduced staffing. Besides....certain Nuclear tasks have to go and be monitored 24/7 and these people are trained and specially qualified...and also have to maintain their qualifications...
    These skills do not grow on trees.

Will find out for sure on Monday when I return to work. I am thinking our security badge will be our pass to and fro work...should this town....and or state go on lockdown.

Other than that I am not going out much....mostly to my garage.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Am I totally prepared for whatís happening? No. Am I better off than say 90%? Yes I am.

And a large portion of how Iíve prepped is due to the advice and posts here, Thankyou so much folks.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Where I am employed...all the big Nimitz class aircraft carriers were born...so too the USS Enterprise..and now too the Ford Class Aircraft Carriers.

Also born here are Virginia Class Submarines as well as the older Los Angeles boats still in service.

I am picking up stories this weekend that this facility will not be shutting down. However...I am thinking they may be on reduced staffing. Besides....certain Nuclear tasks have to go and be monitored 24/7 and these people are trained and specially qualified...and also have to maintain their qualifications...
    These skills do not grow on trees.

Will find out for sure on Monday when I return to work. I am thinking our security badge will be our pass to and fro work...should this town....and or state go on lockdown.

Other than that I am not going out much....mostly to my garage.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

can't imagine much of any manufacturing closing down - especially something like a shipyard - I can see the office taking precautions and your locker room/bathrooms being under special conditions ... don't take anything from the auto industry - the UAW is just taking advantage of the situation - free vacation for their members - Honda closed 2 days and wiped the plant sterile ....

it takes a little more forethought to staying safe & isolated from the Virus - but if everyone is on the same page it'll be OK - special sterilizing tools & materials are spreading - you can expect some temperature testings at work also ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 03-22-2020 at 09:04 AM.

I got the word...that we are coming to work one hour after the day shift has gone home...and staying one hour later....so as to minimize contact with day shift personnel.

Things like this make me sense that this thing is much bigger than we are being told....

I've been in a few very very sticky even frightening incidents/close calls... which happened very fast. I've learned that one of the worst things you can do is panic..or even lose your temper.....you will most often make it worse.

We shall see about this one..

As I am often want to say....I can respect four legged wildlife and their motivations better than can I the two legged variety...including Ishmaelites.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom

Well Ohio is locked down. It's a relief to me. I went to work. Left my customers a message. And I get a vacation I couldn't really take because I own my own business. Wife will jump on unemployment. I can't. But we're good to go on money, preps and food for a good while. I hope we can get back to work in 2 or 3 weeks. But I doubt it. Now my wife is hitting normalcy bias pretty hard. I keep having to explain things to her and she can't seem to process it.

our county seat got one of those drive thru FEMA Test Centers today - set up in a Wally World parking lot >>> saw another one that was set up in the NW Subs of Chicago ...

the plan is coming together !!!!!

May be more sinister that we think. There are lots of conspiracies going around now. We shall see. I'm just gonna enjoy my time off. And refreshed when I go back to work. Aside from that. If stupid stuff happens we deal with it to the best of our ability.