Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NICS is busted. Overloaded, and delaying purchases

Default NICS is busted. Overloaded, and delaying purchases

Yesterday, I went to Cabelas, and traded in my 1911 for one of my grail guns. Filled out the paperwork, they entered it into the system, and 2 hours later, delayed. Now Cabelas has a policy of not releasing after the 3 business days since B(A)ss Pro took them over. No biggie....not like I need another gun desperately right now. I have plenty. Well, today, FFL on Arfcom posted this.

Per NSSF.....

NICS Experiences Unprecedented Volume Increase
    FFLs Must Consider Closures, Reduced Staff Effects on Three Business Day Delays

As our nation continues to navigate its response to the COVID-19, we recognize the firearm industry, like many other industries, is being impacted. NSSF is aware of delays within the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) System. We want you to know the FBI is on the job and working diligently to address the dramatic response and increase in background checks experienced over the past few days. Just yesterday, Monday, March 16, 2020, the NICS staff experienced over a 300% increase compared to this same time period in 2019. As we’ve seen in the past with other national events, our citizens often seek to exercise their Second Amendment rights during times of uncertainty. Therefore transparent communication remains a top priority.

According to NICS, there are delays in the system due to an astronomical volume of transactions over the last several days. While much of the NICS System is automated and yields an immediate “proceed” or “deny” determination, transactions that result in a delayed status require the work of NICS examiners to investigate whether the transaction should be approved or not. With daily volumes roughly double that of last year, the NICS team is unable to begin investigations on all delays within three business days, creating a backlog in the delayed checks.

Some states offices and agencies are considering options to protect the health and safety of their employees, which may include a reduction in staff or a temporary closure. If you operate in one of these areas and if you receive a delayed response from the NICS, please note the Brady transfer date provided to you by the FBI could be extended beyond the normal three business days. The three business day timeframe does not begin until relevant state offices are open for business. Additionally, because of the dramatic increase in volume, it is important to recognize FBI staff may not be able to begin their research on delayed transactions as they normally would. Therefore, you may want to consider waiting on a definitive response from the NICS before opting to proceed with a sale on any delayed transaction. We are operating during exceptional and uncertain times, so you may wish to consider implementing temporary changes in order to safeguard yourself and your business. However, please note that when state offices are closed it does not constitute a “business day” for purposes of calculating the “three business days” period before an FFL may transfer a firearm to a non-licensee as mandated by the Brady Act.

The NICS Section is working overtime to get through the backlog and we appreciate their hard work and open communication. NSSF will continue to communicate with NICS and our members to ensure operations move forward as smoothly as possible during this period.

He said every transfer he did today came back delayed, with a Brady Release Date of April 15th. The Brady Release Date is normally 3 business days. So, basically, the system is so overloaded that NICS is defaulting to "Delay", pushing the BRD out to 15 days, and creating a backlog. This is starting to make 2013 look like a blip.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

Well ... I've heard that gun sales are skyrocketing. It's no wonder that NICS is over loaded.
    People panic buying; I hope they can figure out where the bullet exits from.
    I bought a revolver Tuesday....not for defense though; a repro Colt Peacemaker by Uberti, bird's-head grip and 3.5" barrel, in .45 Colt. Cabela's uses a tablet to do nics and it had trouble connecting but 5 minutes later it succeeded. The sales clerk told me they'd been slammed with gun sales in the last few days ; this in Huntsville Alabama.

I've had the guns I'd use for self-defense for a long time. Everyone here knows about being prepared, and I wish the population in general would get a clue atleast about simple obvious things.

I was talking to some friends out in the Communist CAli. They are all forgetting about the double lock law and BS that is demanded by the State. They are all concerned that thing will go south rather quickly in some of the areas that they are. They are the type that are prepared in a they will survive no matter what, they don't need tons of gear gadgets to get by, but they will....They have smaller kids and that is their biggest concern.

Yes no one of the sheeple flock is prepared at all. The PD's are not picking up unless major stuff. Cali is really bad. Friends said they are releasing professional criminal class out there. Due to the Patriot Act, most of the Jobs that these just out of prison folks use to do can no longer do, Longshoremen, AMP mechanics at airports. NO jobs for them they can't pay rent, so they are homeless and have to eat some how.....This is the what is scaring them. They see the possibilities.

In Ohio as well . Cops basically said we're not doing anything about drugs or petty theft and if you get in accident get there info and file it online. We're pretty much on our own. And they will come clean up after

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGunn View Post
    and I wish the population in general would get a clue at least about simple obvious things.
    Well maybe that is the silver lining in all of this......?

Naw, what was I thinking? Sheep will be sheep, won't they?

I'm hoping to see my suppressor paperwork anyday
    ...who am I kidding. That's never coming I'm at a year wait in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    I'm hoping to see my suppressor paperwork anyday
    ...who am I kidding. That's never coming I'm at a year wait in a week or so.
    Must be something wrong with things. You might should check with the ATF about your stamp....They have been getting them back quickly. Especially with the electronic stuff.....

I called 2 months ago they said it was still pending...aka we put it on a guys desk and he will do it when he feels like it.

I got a call from them yesterday. PROCEED. I was talking to the gun counter guy, and he said that NICS was running about 3 days behind. So far, no one there had been denied. I went in this morning and picked it up.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

People should have been well prepped months if not years ago in this arena...…both guns and ammo....reloading supplies too.

Right now ...people are closing the gate after the cows have gotten out...Textbook.,....Textbook.

Interesting development here..today.

Got a call from someone I know wanting some .223 Ammo and they know I reload a lot of it...as well as other calibrations.

In like manner to how some time back someone wanted to borrow one of my generators...as they knew I had four of them.

In both cases these folk are what I call "Good time Charlies." Out there when the good times are happening but putting nothing back for hard times...

Now they look for a safety net provided and risked by someone else's efforts...labors and risk taking....they are high maintenance.

After all….they are good people....there will always be a safety net to fall into ...so they never have to worry.

They know how to go out to eat a lot and spend monies on the good life but not put anything back....a television and or movie way of life....belief and religion.

Shades of that dream/nightmare of being stuck on a Desert Island with 400 people who only know how to text.

.223/5.56mm was plentiful not long ago....now the cupboards are going bare..

The Ishmaelites will be running wild...soon enough..

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite