Thread: Gotta love small town courtesy!

Default Gotta love small town courtesy!

We have one grocery store in my town. I took a trip there to top off a few thing needed like dishwasher pods etc.... Our grocery store is really taking its local shoppers into their arms. They ran out of Clorox and Lysol so the were passing out free... 2 for each customer, comet cleanser x2, and 2 ea distilled white vinegar and 2 ea lg pkgs of wipes. All fresh produce was buy one get one free. They've also dropped gas prices dramatically. $1.29 a gal. With fill up you get a 12 pk of cokes. A few other things too that I don't need in my home, like diapers and baby food and formula etc.... Every check out line was manned but there was no crowd. Everyone respected each other's space and very pleasant, even helping fellow shoppers find certain items or something comparable if the store was out. Everyone was helping each other. It was quite pleasant!
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 03-17-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Nice. Animals tend to want to live near other animals. Polite people move to the country

what's happened is that the usual shoppers that hit the out-of-town larger chain stores for their groceries are now shopping local - even though they are locals they aren't too used to the inconviences that go with smaller local stores - not that used to the closer aisles & spaces - they could use a little patience at the check outs - used to 8 check outs being open out of 15-18 - local store has 3-4 total ...

Had to go to closest big city today (whole urban area about 40K) so I went into a supermarket (regional chain) and it was as crowded as I can ever remember seein' it. Out of lots of stuff but nothin' I was after except bananas. Folks weren't rude, but the whole place had an uneasy atmosphere. Next stop was Dollar Tree. Slightly different clientele but almost everyone was polite, not pushin' and shovin'. They had no TP but lots of paper towels and napkins. Only pinto beans at a buck a bag, but white rice at 2 pounds for a dollar and plenty of that. Pasta such as spaghetti and elbow macaroni at a dollar for 1.5 pounds. The girl that checked me out was cheerful, and when I told here about how much stuff that's supposed to be "in demand" seemed plentiful there, she said that folks seem to forget about Dollar Tree stores. No crowds, quick check out and pleasant employees keep me goin' to places like that, and I don't miss the folks who'd never set foot in po' folks stores.
    Almost stopped at the Dollar General that's on the way out of town just 'cause they're about as nice, but since I didn't really need any more stuff (unless all y'all think a couple of hundred rolls of TP ain't enough) and I wanted to get back home in case it snowed some more I hightailed it back to the ol' homestead.
    Oh, yeah, did make one quick stop at another place to get the bananas and some chocolate fudge brownies. A guy gettin' close his 49th anniversary know there're times whan there should be chocolate in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Vale74 View Post
    Had to go to closest big city today (whole urban area about 40K) so I went into a supermarket (regional chain) and it was as crowded as I can ever remember seein' it. Out of lots of stuff but nothin' I was after except bananas. Folks weren't rude, but the whole place had an uneasy atmosphere. Next stop was Dollar Tree. Slightly different clientele but almost everyone was polite, not pushin' and shovin'. They had no TP but lots of paper towels and napkins. Only pinto beans at a buck a bag, but white rice at 2 pounds for a dollar and plenty of that. Pasta such as spaghetti and elbow macaroni at a dollar for 1.5 pounds. The girl that checked me out was cheerful, and when I told here about how much stuff that's supposed to be "in demand" seemed plentiful there, she said that folks seem to forget about Dollar Tree stores. No crowds, quick check out and pleasant employees keep me goin' to places like that, and I don't miss the folks who'd never set foot in po' folks stores.
    Almost stopped at the Dollar General that's on the way out of town just 'cause they're about as nice, but since I didn't really need any more stuff (unless all y'all think a couple of hundred rolls of TP ain't enough) and I wanted to get back home in case it snowed some more I hightailed it back to the ol' homestead.
    Oh, yeah, did make one quick stop at another place to get the bananas and some chocolate fudge brownies. A guy gettin' close his 49th anniversary know there're times whan there should be chocolate in the house.

Dollar General store chain has instituted a nationwide store change - 1st hour of daily operations is strickly for senior citizens - limit their exposure from the younger possible Virus carriers and no freaking rough action in the aisles & cash register lines ....

I went west to Llano to visit Lowes for stocks to take to my kids. Canned veggie aisle was a little less than fully stocked but plenty of choices. I guess it's called hoarding but when I go shopping for ranch I buy a flat, ( about 24 cans) each of canned potato, carrot, green beans. Started stacking 12 each of the potatoes first then moved down and noticed a list sign. Fair enough under circumstances although since that's my regular purchase it really wasn't excessive. Went ahead and returned all but two of sliced, went ahead and grabbed 2 diced, and two whole then moved on.

It was the right thing to do and I get it, but damn it's difficult to get kids some stash set up and they suddenly asking how and what to get. Wife finally gets it, so I may be getting the wake up I've been hoping for.

OTOH, DIL is RN and conservative but still sheeple. We went through several discussions about her "herd health" approach to medicine and flu vaccines. It's been interesting but silent since daughter and granddaughter but got vaccine but still got flu, daughter 2 times. Still, we were discussing preps and DIL added that Trump and governor both said not to worry that grocery stores would not close, so they didn't need anything. Still doesn't get that when guv says not to panic, it's time to consider panic.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 03-19-2020 at 07:17 AM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

My are becoming more "woke" and take my advice the same as always........." I have told you this for years"....... Instead of I told you so LOL
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.