Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up two more Beofeng UB 5R walkie talkies.

http://max-mesh.com/professional-mobile-radio/

What is your opinion of this? I kinda would like this type of setup from what I have read and understand. I tried to ask radio lady about this and she had no clue....

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Migaud, another distraction.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

Quote Originally Posted by finris View Post
    http://max-mesh.com/professional-mobile-radio/

What is your opinion of this? I kinda would like this type of setup from what I have read and understand. I tried to ask radio lady about this and she had no clue....

Finris,

That is a very interesting set up. I believe it is an FM mode radio with what is a type of trunking set up...frequency agile.....similar to cell phones and with both voice and data capabilities.

I've seen radios that can connect similar to cell phones coast to coast for businesses.

This is a very nice set up...…

But there is one problem from a prepper standpoint...

Most VHF/UHF radios are of very limited range without support networks and these networks can get complex if conditions change and they get shut down for any reason.

If you are doing this for a prepping standpoint....it is best to be independent and not dependent on a complex network.

This is why I have HF radio...I can go long as well as short range with it.

Richmond, Virginia is some 70 plus miles north west of me and on the long range bands I can easily make it on 160 meters and or 75 meters...with low power or even high power if I so choose...simplex..radio to radio. To do this on VHF/UHF I have to go through repeaters...or what we call duplexing.

To be fully working on that kind of set up in your link...,.you have to go through several repeaters/cell phone towers, or even satellite links.

You are talking about vulnerabilities if conditions go very very bad..and these links are not working.

It is indeed a very nice set up with alot of options....but complex and dependent on too many variables...too many links in the chain.

While I don't particularly have much use for this kind of set up...but in the last ten years or so...the FCC has authorized private repeaters for individuals...to install in their homes..

These are what are called simplex repeaters..wherein the signals goes in on one frequency and goes back out on the same frequency instead of duplexing and coming out on another frequency.

This would tend to make one more independent as long as the electricity supply is working.

What you linked is a very nice set up...and full of options...as long as the complex network is working.

One more thing...about SHTF or TEOTWAWKI...…

In such conditions....government can shut down all communications coast to coast...locally as well as long distance...even repeaters..or what amounts to total lockdown.
    This to prevent panic or even any information's getting out for which they do not want communicated.

My question is at what point , if not already with this virus, will we reach said point????

I m picking up some tell tale traces, outside of the MSM, that certain key businesses/industries are preparing for very very bad scenerios….
    With that in mind..I am envisioning... in the back of my mind... a possible lock down of communications....almost to a wartime level...to prevent panic.

I just do not care to be dependent on a complex network for prepping purposes....

I think this is called the KISS principle.....Keep It Simple Stupid!! There is a lot to be said for that olde adage..particularly in an emergency.

Also..I don't know if I have told you ….but not only do I have a ham station...long and short range both ...but keep several portable short wave receivers/sets with single side band capabilities.

I do not care to have a short wave receiver without single side band capability.

I also keep five 48 packs of AA type batteries around here for my short wave sets as well as my mag lites and other gear....all to a common battery type..

Soon..I am going to attempt to link up with the Richmond, Virginia repeater ..some 70 miles away with my short range VHF/UHF Walkie talkie from the roof of a building at work..some 85 feet in the air...and with my more efficient antenna attached to the rig..

https://www.amazon.com/42-5-Inch-ABB...0DRA93Y4XCRFXH

Altitude is often the key to better reception and or transmission. on many radios.

Failing that I may walk down with the same antenna to the edge of the river and try it again...the same river goes right upstream to Richmond, Virginia and hopefully to the same repeater....
    Water can be a very efficient conductor of radio signals if you put a body of water between you and where you want to talk/reach. One of the lesser known trivia of radio work.

This will be an attempt to link up with a prepper group some 40 plus miles west of Richmond.

The problem is that they do not have a long range HF radio and no training in using one....nor such HF license capabilities or I could reach them easily from home should the cell phones go down for some reason.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-20-2020 at 12:05 PM.

I'm impressed with your setup. The reason I was looking at the setup above is they apparently don't need a hard set up. The radios and such in the "group" make up the actual network. Kinda like what you have with a WiFi style home network. That is the reason these were the setup they used for the cave rescue of the Thai soccer team. The radios were some how all connected and set up to bounce the signal from one radio to the next to the person who is to be contacted. I know this is part of the new set up for military comms in wartime so they don't have the gaffs and loss of satellite/cell tower usage and such. I honestly don't understand it well enough to be honest this is one of my holes in my back ground that is a major gap.

Wow finris…..

I think you are describing a radio set up which can work from radio to radio as a "Hot Spot" similar to many cell phones...or as you alluded ..like Wi Fi.

Makes sense to me..and that is a quantum leap from the olde days.

Thanks for filling me in.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

Just being honest I don't understand it all....The whole Mesh network is very similar to a Mesh style Wi Fi type thing. Like I said I don't understand the whole thing. Heck I don't understand the basic stuff.

I now have four new Baofeng UV 5 R radios to be manually programmed. I also got ahold of four of the oversized 3800 mAh batteries to replace and or augment the issue 1800 mAh batteries.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom

Been manually programming these four Baofeng UV5 R radios with the 2 meter/70 CM ham frequencies in the lower end of the memory storage.. memory slots 0 to 73 out of 127 slots...both simplex and duplex ham frequencies...most of them repeater access frequencies.

The top end from 127 down to 100 are full of simplex MURS...GMRS/FRS frequencies....and slots 74 to 99 are empty.

It is slow tedious work and I have had to put it aside for a day or two but working on the last unit now.

just took my temperature @ 98.8 F.

I now have 6 Extra Baofengs and programmed sufficient. Also some 8 Adapters to hook up a Baofeng Walkie talkie to an base station antenna if need be.

Have heard last night that North Carolina is going on lockdown as of Monday. Thinking Virginia will soon follow.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

I have been hearing of all the lock downs as well. I work in a vital industry. I work in the medical field. I can and do see all the areas that most don't get to see. I think much is very over blown in things. The nearest large city to me at the moment is Tulsa. Tulsa has a curfew of 2300. They are not enforcing it really at the moment. You know that could change. j

I have stated that my comms are no where near what yours are. I'm sorry to say. I need to do more along those lines at times.

I need to find me a more permanent base of operations. I don't think it will be where I am now. "Lucky" me I know a few groups who want me as part of their plans. They know a little about my background and some of my medical abilities.

I need better comms...........Thank You for pointing out my lack of and knowledge bass.

Your certainly welcome finris,

The Baofeng radios are short range radios...and work best for getting out in distance by using a repeater...versus radio to radio. With a better than factory antenna and altitude I have been able to use them at 10 to 12 miles.

With repeater I have been able to make it from here to Richmond Virginia some 65 to 70 miles and then some 40 to 50 miles west to Cumberland, Virginia. This best at night.

I've also made it from here to Elizabeth City North Carolina about the same distance as from here to Richmond...but in the other direction.

But these repeaters require licensing. That is also the drawback or weakness in a SHTF situation should the power go down.

Many small towns today often locate their repeaters on top of their olde water towers....or in some cases on top of olde forest fire watch towers.

One day I will look into a private repeater for this property....but until then my very long range transmissions will be via HF radio instead of VHF/UHF radio.

I don't know if I have told you this but two methods for getting any radio...mobile or walkie talkie to reach out further or even better reception is to go for altitude...

I am often want, in my car or truck and time allowing, to go to a multi story parking garage to the roof and transmit....thus taking advantage of altitude.
    At work I go up to the top of a certain building and put on that Long Abree antenna on my Baofeng walkie talkie and transmit/receive from some 85 feet of altitude.
    However keep in mind security ...two legged wildlife.

The other method is to put a body of water between you and where you want to talk....
    Water acts as a reflector..like a tuned dish antenna... and transmits and receives with fewer losses.

There is a fellow in Ireland or Scotland who lives on the side of a cliff...overlooking the ocean. He puts a great signal here to the States without running much power. Same with many stations on the islands in the Caribbean.

I too am in a vital industry, in shipbuilding, and this nuclear equipment cannot be left unattended without trained/qualified people around.. and so too these facilities. They must be maintained ready. Not many shipyards have the nuclear capabilities of this place....nor politically speaking do they want it.

I have concerns too about this virus being overblown for purposes of keeping Americans properly "Herded" while someone extends their power and control over this country.

I am very well aware, historically speaking, that often governments take more and more power and then do not want to give it up.

The French Revolution and what came afterword's is textbook of this. I often laugh in reading some books when sometimes the French Revolution is called "The first scientific revolution."

I lived in Paris for four years when I was young....elementary school. I remember how tall was the Eiffel Tower..but never knew the streets ran so red with blood...until I was older sufficient to read and appreciate history.

Your certainly welcome finris..

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-29-2020 at 06:01 AM.