Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up two more Beofeng UB 5R walkie talkies.

Default Picked up two more Beofeng UB 5R walkie talkies.

I've picked up two more of the Beofeng UV 5R type walkie talkies and will be slowly and manually programming them with various ham frequencies....simplex as well as Duplexing modes.

I will be putting these radios away for future use after programming and charging the batteries...and operational checks.

I will also be manually programming them with the FRS/GMRS frequencies...the frequencies you see on those Wal Mart....sports walkie talkies.

Also I will be programming into them five MURS frequencies..

Planning down the road to get two more and put them away in like manner.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

I grabbed a dozen a while back on a good offer , I thought. Need to do the same and distribute to my kids. I won't be able to reach them but they can communicate with each other and bugout together.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I grabbed a dozen a while back on a good offer , I thought. Need to do the same and distribute to my kids. I won't be able to reach them but they can communicate with each other and bugout together.
    Good thinking KINGCHIP.....good thinking.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Good thinking KINGCHIP.....good thinking.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite
    Except now is program time, and I don't read Chinese except at restaurants.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Except now is program time, and I don't read Chinese except at restaurants.
    Yeah...me too KINGCHIP...me too.

One of the menu Items is to turn the voice prompts from Chinese to English. On my UV5 R it is under Menu line 14 and the selections are Chinese, English, or off.

I just picked up a new HF rig and for which I had been procrastinating for some time now. It is a Chinese rig...recommended to me by another ham on 75 meters the other night..

It came quickly in the mail and it is called a IXEGU G90. It is a 20 watt max power out and works the HF bands.

Learning how to work the Menu on this rig and I must confess..the instructions are much easier to follow than on the Beofeng rigs.

https://xiegu.eu/product/xiegu-g90-h...r-transceiver/

I will eventually get my other HF rigs working but wanted this one because it is very portable...and has small power requirements.

I am using it now monitoring the Virginia Fone Net on 3947KHZ LSB. Hope to contact my friend out in Tennessee when the net is over. Conditions are a bit rough tonight and 20 watts max may not make it but it is going to be attempted.
    Oh...and I manually programmed a Baofeng BF8 HP last night and will be working on manually programming two more in the coming nights.

A very 73 to you and your house.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-10-2020 at 07:03 PM.

I don't know anything about radios. I wish someone here who knows on some of this stuff. Best radios and even which ones those of you that know which ones. Anyone getting any ones that are encrypted? I don't have many friends, but I would like to be able to communicate with.

Dang it, OT...now y'all got me wanting a set ! I, too, know literally nothing about ham radios, but I still remember my cousin's call sign from the merchant marines decades ago - "MVS-MM" or something like that. Gotta do some more reading and research, but I can see how these might be very useful if comms go haywire for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by finris View Post
    I don't know anything about radios. I wish someone here who knows on some of this stuff. Best radios and even which ones those of you that know which ones. Anyone getting any ones that are encrypted? I don't have many friends, but I would like to be able to communicate with.
    I also have this rig which has encryption of a basic type....

https://www.amazon.com/KG-UV920P-Tra.../dp/B00ABSQJ42

If you look at the photo close up of the microphone you can see under the number 0 the word "scram."

I have used this function only once with my friend and locally before he retired and moved to Tennessee.

TheCitizenPatriot,

Many of these radios are actually commercial radios and happen to work on the Ham bands. I have taken the liberty of finding out the actual frequency allocations on line of the GMRS/FRS radio service and programming them into these radios as well as the Baofeng Walkie talkies. THe GMRS/FRS radios are only allocated half a watt at those 400 plus MHZ Frequencies and those Baofeng rigs put out twice as much .one or two watts in the 400 MHZ bands.

Also the MURS frequencies in the 151 to 154 MHZ band have been installed as well....

These frequencies can be used without a license ..and are limited in power..but more than the GMRS/FRS power output.

MURS .Multi USE Radio Service...you can use them similar to CB. Most people do not know about this.

https://www.w4zt.com/freqs/murs.html

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Thank you Orangetom.... I work at a company and we have radios. We even have a dispatch base station style. The lady who is owner or lead sales woman came by the other day. I asked her about getting some of these types and on which ones she recommends in the encryption style. Even though she is considered by many to be in the "know". You just gave me a better answer. I think the reason most like here is she is skinny as a rail and is somewhat flirtatious/hugging and things like that. I"m sure the guys that work at her shop could give a better opinion, but they don't seem to let them out.....According to her they are going to be digitizing most of the lower bands you know how bad they are to just drop out....She didn't even wanna talk encryption. She mentioned a name or two and said they do most of the military contracts and blah blah blah....They still refuse to sale certain radios to us mere people. I try not to let my irritation show to much......

Finris,

They do not want most people getting involved in encryption or encrypting their conversations nor their Computer output/input....it causes them big headaches should too many people start doing this...

One of the reasons we chose this radio was indeed the encryption .though we only used it once.

Since those olde days He has moved some 400 miles out to Tennessee and we can still communicate by land line or by two way HF radio.

If we have to we can use Morse Code keyers the old way but prefer microphones...or phones for short.

I have been hearing speculation over the years about moving the CB Bands to the VHF spread...and the government taking over some of those frequencies.

I sometimes listen to the airliners talking long distance into or out of New York....on upper sideband....between 3.000 MHZ to some 6.5 MHZ.

I also think that satellites are capable of trailing antennas out behind them to cover a lot of bands....just as they do with some airplanes.

Also...the lower bands tend to go long more often than the VHF/UHF bands....and for much further distances.

It is not unusual on the lower frequency bands to be listening and talking stateside and suddenly hear Europe coming in very strong as conditions change. This particularly on 40 meters..or in the 7.000 MHZ to 7.300 MHZ spread as the day heats up.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-19-2020 at 01:03 PM.