Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bidet as a solution for possible toilet paper shortage....

Wow!!! Man oh...Man...you guys are rough!!!!!

I never thought this thread would go so far or so rough!!!

But that is how the Olde Folks used to take care of business.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

I have a solution for no toilet paper post SHTF.

like many, life without TP was too fearsome to consider
    so we were building up a supply of TP for the family as a part of our preps. in order to gauge how much we would need i kept track of how much we used each month and then computed a years worth and boy was that a shock.

I spent some time in India where they don't have TP for the most part and use a bucket of water and a handkerchief. Yes, I know that sounds positively primitive, but they can't afford to toilet paper for the most part. but that provided the idea for me.

anyway this is what we have come up with and have tested. You get a pet washer with a spray button / trigger (on/off). Most toilets are near a bath/shower and these are designed connect to the shower head for one to use to wash a dog in a bathtub.

what i do is soon as I get seated, I turn on the water in the tub to a warm temperature. this takes a few minutes of running to reach warmth. Then after you have completed the dirty work, just grab the sprayer and hose off the nether regions.

now i am using a small amount of TP to dry the affected area, but post SHTF I would contemplate a bucket of rags which would then be washed. Or for the truly frontiersperson, you could go commando.

of course the hot water is theoretically optional, but since we have spring fed water, 53 degrees would definitely be a shock down there, LOL. thank goodness for propane on demand hot water

we got ours from Lowe's and it cost about $20. couldn't find a link to their's but here's something similar:
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...paign=shopping

I have collected our old frayed wash cloths and towels for years. I cut them up in approx 12x12 sq. I have three yard leaf bags completely full. They will last for years. Best way to use them is to dampen them before you do your business. You can wipe, fold, wipe fold and whip one more time to get a thuroughly clean bum so you don't chafe. Then use a clean dry square to dry yourself. Wash the squares well and hang out to dry. Terrycloth is great because it's textured enough to remove stubborn stuff but soft enough not to damage sensitive skin.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Brought two Bidets home and will be installing them soon. I think many of the members are correct in cutting up olde cloths and using them along with the bidet.....

I installed one for a lady friend yesterday. She told me they work but they are very cold...

She wanted my olde jeans to cut up for cloths....too.

Thanks for that advice Camouflaged.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Brought two Bidets home and will be installing them soon. I think many of the members are correct in cutting up olde cloths and using them along with the bidet.....

I installed one for a lady friend yesterday. She told me they work but they are very cold...

She wanted my olde jeans to cut up for cloths....too.

Thanks for that advice Camouflaged.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    They make heated ones.
    Think I'll stick with rags or leaves if I have to.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

OMG, sure, buy what you like

Hope the water pressure stays on... distraction
    Last edited by Winni; 03-02-2020 at 07:36 PM.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

Welcome OT. That what my grandparents used! They used worn out towels cut up. I don't think they ever bough TP, BUT I remember seeing the clothesline always full of those rags and stacks of them in the outhouse on the top shelf and a stack in the box next to the potty hole.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I'm cool with modern tp. Lol my wife goes to Sam's club and gets massive amounts of tp. Oddly I always thought it was funny that her big prep item is tp. But it would really suck to go without.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Welcome OT. That what my grandparents used! They used worn out towels cut up. I don't think they ever bough TP, BUT I remember seeing the clothesline always full of those rags and stacks of them in the outhouse on the top shelf and a stack in the box next to the potty hole.

Got to thinking about this Camouflaged....not directly in the TP arena...but in the shaving soap arena.

I have not bought a can of shaving soap...in decades....,.

In a like manner .to what you are describing in TP....I realized our forefathers did not use shaving soap in a pressurized can but just used a bar of soap or soap and shaving brush...and a razor.

Got to thinking it through what a racket the shaving industry is and just used bar soap on a hot water face. As a matter of fact I put a hand mirror in the shower as I am already wet....and shave there...under the shower nozzle..

The Shaving industry is not going to make that much money on me. I try to get off that treadmill as much as I can...

Now to be ready to apply that same logic to TP.....in an emergency or shortage.

But you know Camouflaged.....I think many people today would be ready to go see Dr. Phil should they have to use an outhouse....or shovel....trama...trama...drama!!! LOL LOL LOL!!!

Outhouse.....Whats that!!!????

Driftz 240....I too buy TP in big batches from the BJs wholesalers and put it away in storage. Paper towels too...but at the same time I am aware that economic affluence under which we live and or take for granted can be gone tomorrow...

I have been known to go to BJs and have a big bag of paper towels tied down in the rear double wide basket and a big bag of TP down between my legs on my Honda Ruckus scooter.

Nonetheless I am trying to cover some of those bases for which so many of us take for granted in our economic affluence.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-03-2020 at 11:26 AM.

I only use hot water to shave. On occasion I'll use a little aloe lotion to shave with.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.