Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Economic impact of Covid-19

I have a real suspicion that this is the real deal SHTF event - world wide.
    pandemic is bad enough, but the world economy is in a free fall also

i made a few last minute runs to various stores over the weekend
    I think it is time to crawl into a hole and pull the lid over top of us
    no trips off property except emergencies

Indeed the poo is definitely hitting the fan. The time to prep has passed for the time being. I haven't made the decision just yet but my company did not work today. I'm in the middle of a few projects and I hate to just shut down.... I'm torn actually.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post

Agreed for the most part here. I discovered yesterday we were out of topical antibiotic ointment. Be a shame for a minor ouchie to get infected and necessitate a trip to a doctor's office for treatment - with a waiting room full of coughing and sneezing people. No thanks. Our local grocery store had plenty on the shelves, so I took what we needed and a scant bit more, leaving plenty for the next shopper. Touched nothing else in the store except the self-checkout, which avoids breathing the same air as the cashier and also having two other people handle the goods (cashier and bagger). I really intend for us to become house-bound at this point.

I also made a stop off at the bank. It seems the Simolean family who's staying with us wished to be re-united with their incarcerated bretheren, and engaged my assistance in liberating them.

Hand sanitizer and hand/face discipline applied rigorously on both errands, and the bring-home items spent time in the UV/Ozone chamber before ingress to the household was granted.
    Last edited by bruss01; 03-16-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post

It is turning into a SHTF event real quick. I'm not completely sold on the virus being the end of the world the media is making it out to be. But they are trashing the economy without a doubt. And the sheeple are ramping things up really fast.

Other than work we haven't been doing a lot. Over the last 3 weeks I made a run to Sams and made it a good haul, almost everything I was looking for was still in stock. Wife has also done 2 purchases, one at Wally world for curbside PU. The other at Krogers, which she's gonna pick up tomorrow. I also placed orders with both Honeyville Farms and Auguston Farms. Honeyville is already here, the other said they would be 2-3 weeks out. It may show by next week. I've also gotten a couple Amazon deliveries. Gonna place another order with them tonight. Went by our Rural King tonight and picked up a bunch of garden plants, canning supplies, etc. While there found a Can of 5.56 ammo on sale. Couldn't leave it on the shelf. Since it was the last one, it looked lonely. Not a bad price I didn't think. .38 cents a round wasn't too bad, and they are on stripper clips.

Just found out today that I can start working from home starting Wed. I'm gonna jump all over that. Save some money and time from not driving 70 miles a day. Plus don't have to deal with the public.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Great thinking, sounds like you made it just in time plus a win win with the work.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Indeed the poo is definitely hitting the fan. The time to prep has passed for the time being. I haven't made the decision just yet but my company did not work today. I'm in the middle of a few projects and I hate to just shut down.... I'm torn actually.
    The virus isnít the threat at this point. If this extends out over 4-6 weeks, the US and world economy will be in free fall with little ability to recover.
    Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.

really nice email update from a company I deal with outlining the impact on them and their plans, very professional.
    bold emphasis are mine

As we know, President Trump has declared a state of National Emergency. The "Novel Coronavirus" or (COVID-19) is directly affecting our personal and business lives, including factory staffing levels and material supply chain. We are only beginning to see the ripple effect upon global supply chains. While overseas factories are reopening in China, others are closing completely in the United States and Europe. We cannot control the COVID-19 outbreak, or material shortages and surges that it may cause. What we can do is to mitigate the impact upon our staffing and material supply levels by communicating with one another, working together and planning ahead.

With immediate effect, Eberle Design, Inc. (EDI) will begin using our Twitter feed for up-to-date broadcast status messages to our customers and employees about our company Production and Operational Status. I encourage you to logon to Twitter and enable "Push Notifications" for the Eberle Design Twitter feed at @editraffic. For those without Smartphones, the same status updates will be provided at the following special website, www.editraffic.com/covid-19.

EDI has implemented a domestic and international company travel ban for its employees, which went into effect on March 10th, for the protection of employee health. EDI has issued US Government official guidance to our employees regarding best practices to prevent transmission of the virus, and are asking all EDI employees to avoid all nonessential business and personal travel. We are dedicated to maintaining a healthy workplace, and will continue to follow guidelines for business and employers set forth by the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the State of Arizona.

We are also requesting that all suppliers postpone all visits to EDI Headquarters in Phoenix until further notice. As the situation progresses, we will stay in close communication with you regarding any additional plans or changes via the above noted Twitter feed and special EDI COVID-19 website. We are already experiencing global supply chain disruptions, and we are doing our best to maintain an optimal level of production. We are already experiencing an employee absence rate of 7.5% as of today. We have had no EDI employees diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus to date.

Our business remains one of the strongest in our market sector and industry. We continue to provide the highest level of service and shortest possible product delivery time, while being faced with multiple unknown challenges. Many major industry OEMs and Distributors heavily reply upon EDI and Reno A&E products for their traffic cabinets. Without the timely shipment of our products, the installation of new and upgraded signalized intersections throughout the United States and Canada are negatively impacted. EDI is actively expanding our inventory of our most commonly ordered products, as well as longer lead-time material. We are actively engaged with our suppliers, to minimize the impact of potential critical supply chain disruptions to our partners/customers.

On the EDI Twitter and website feeds noted above, you will receive daily status updates on our Operational status. We are establishing a new metric, "VIRUSCON", which is denoted by a single letter followed by our Operational status as noted below:

VIRUSCON A: Normal factory operations with full personnel strength, few absences and no COVID-19 quarantine recommendations. Business as usual. Suppliers and partner meetings at EDI-Phoenix are welcome.

VIRUSCON B: Factory operations at a reduced level, with skeleton staffing and experiencing material shortages. "At Risk" employees directed to work from home, (if possible), with videoconferencing, telephone and email contact with our office and customers. Business as usual, with limited impact upon production. Suppliers and partners are requested to postpone all in-person visits to EDI offices until further notice, and VIRUSCON A status is restored.

VIRUSCON C: Factory not in production due to impacted staffing and material shortage levels. Limited company Administrative, Finance, Business Development, Engineering and Production staff on site, with most Production/Operations staff to stay at home, working from home is possible. Visits from EDI suppliers and partners will not be scheduled until VIRUSCON A or B status is restored. Telephone calls, videoconferencing and email use is encouraged.

VIRUSCON D: Company completely closed. All personnel to stay at home, and remain available by email and telephone. Monitor the EDI Twitter feed and website above frequently for any status change. This status level will apply if there is a complete loss of Internet or cellular telephone service lasting for more than 24 hours.

As of Monday 16 March 2020, EDI is currently operating at VIRUSCON B. All messages posted on the officially noted EDI Twitter feed and website above, are generated by EDI Senior Management only, and all posting content should be considered both accurate and reliable.

Finally, and most importantly, as the COVID-19 virus outbreak related events unfold in our industry, we hope you and yours stay safe and healthy. Thank you for your support, and more to follow as we overcome this temporary threat.

Very best regards,

EBERLE DESIGN, INC.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Hmmm, your company founder is in my family tree, somewhere....
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

Dow down -1660.63, circuit breaker #1 tripped again.

Is it just me or does it seem like we're watching a game of Limbo here? "How low can you go?"

ETA: Now -2110.23

Last edited by bruss01; 03-18-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

"How low can you go?"
    dow 15,000 I am thinking