Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2019 novel corona virus

Wife and I watched Contagion on Amazon Prime last night with Matt Damon & Lawrence Fishburn. Pretty good flick. eerily similar to Covid-19 - starts with bats, spreads aerosol & surfaces. I thought it gave a very good depiction of the knock on effects to the society and economy very similar to what's going on in China right now - mandatory quarantines, food shortages, nobody leaving their houses to work, medical system overwhelmed, lots of heath care professionals killed by it, etc etc
    worth your time to watch i think

**** ELDERBERRY WARNING ****

https://survivalblog.com/letter-elderberry-wuhan/

Normally, with flu, elderberry syrup is a positive and helps fight the virus.https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...4.htm“Sambucol Elderberry Extract and its formulations activate the healthy immune system by increasing inflammatory cytokine production.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518

However, “…elderberry also enhances cytokine response, which may not be so good when one of the complications of pandemic influenza is cytokine storm.”

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-...-flu-treatment

And here we have that immune dysfunction also showing up with COVID-19
    “In most moribund [dying] patients, 2019-nCoV infection is also associated with a cytokine storm…”

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...305-6/fulltext
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 02-16-2020 at 08:18 AM.

My family has been slamming garlic and elderberry for about a month. Should I stop?

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    My family has been slamming garlic and elderberry for about a month. Should I stop?

from what I'm reading it's almost a death sentence to be slamming elderberry if you got the Virus >>> what it'll do to prevent is another whole different ???

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    Wife and I watched Contagion on Amazon Prime last night with Matt Damon & Lawrence Fishburn. Pretty good flick. eerily similar to Covid-19 - starts with bats, spreads aerosol & surfaces. I thought it gave a very good depiction of the knock on effects to the society and economy very similar to what's going on in China right now - mandatory quarantines, food shortages, nobody leaving their houses to work, medical system overwhelmed, lots of heath care professionals killed by it, etc etc
    worth your time to watch i think

someone was looking all over the internet for a copy to stream - consensus is that the probable violence and desperation isn't depicted too well in the movie >>> I personally think they should cut in some scenes from The Road and Testament for some reality ....

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    There is a lot of conflicting information right now, so citing opposing "experts" is a good way to chase your tail until you drop.

Based on everything I have been able to research so far, here's what my personal plan is.

Phase 1 (pre-illness)

Get a lot of sleep, as much as possible. A respiratory doc who is also a sleep therapist says you are substantially less likely to become ill if getting plenty of sleep routinely.

Boost vitamin D, significantly. I typically take supplemental vitamins a few times a week, but am hitting the D daily now. It was explained to me that without D, the immune system gets confused when hit with a strong infection, panics, then decides to carpet bomb the infection leaving scorched earth ( organ damage) in its wake. With D, the immune system is able to respond in a more targeted fashion, taking out the infection with "smart bombs" that leave lots less collateral damage. It takes time to build up in your system so my advice is start now and be prepared to ramp it up as time goes by.

Exercise - making room for moderate exercise improves lung capacity, all of which may be needed during a pneumonia illness.

While these 3 strategies may or may not help, they at least cost very little and hurt nothing.

Phase 2 illness onset (first minor symptoms)
    Cough, sniffles, slight fever
    Allow immune system to respond... allow 1-2 degree temperature. If you are going to take elderberry, here's the time to do it IMHO. REST, mostly sitting reclining or vertical, not flat. Isolate from rest of household. Increase vitamin D. Start zinc lozenges... these really do help fight a cold (which is the most common type of coronavirus).

Phase 3 -serious symptoms (severe cough, shortness of breath, wheezing sounds, high fever)
    STOP elderberry... it had a chance to work early on and will do more harm than good from here out.
    The challenge at this phase is to keep your immune system from killing you with a cytokine storm.
    Start an H1 antagonist, an H2 antagonist, a PPI and an NSAID (de-coder ring below). This should help attenuate the immune response hopefully preventing cytokine storm. Stay on the vitamin D big time. Have simple broth and electrolytes on hand in case gastro symptoms occur. Maybe loperamide (immodium) for Captain Tripps, if he makes an appearance.

Continue until symptoms are gone.

This is assuming superior medical intervention is not available, which in a pandemic, it may well not be.

I'm not a doctor, can't reccomend this to anyone nor do I have a link to an authoritative source, just a "tip" I received. YMMV. But I do know that 80% of pharmaceuticals and their precursors come from China, and that drugstore shelves may be bare by the time official sources get around to advocating these meds, and they are inexpensive. It costs me little to have them in my inventory just in case.

I am open to revising this plan if/when better info comes along. This is such a novel situation that new info does come out daily.

Personally I would only take elderberry extract prophylactically if I were going to be around sick people... but that's me. And definitely stop soon after symptoms appeared if they didn't improve in short order.

DECODER RING:
    H1 antagonist - Benadryl or it's generic equivalent (diphenhydramine)
    H2 antagonist - Pepcid, Tagamet, Adix, or Zantac or their generic equivalent.
    PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) - Prilosec, Prevacid or Nexium or generic equivalent
    NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) - any of the following or their generics where applicable:
    - aspirin
    - ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin)
    - naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
    - NOT Tylenol/acetaminophen!

As always, consult YOUR physician before beginning any course of treatment, and be sure to do your homework regarding drug interactions with regard to anything you might take.
    Last edited by bruss01; 02-17-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

I guess pet owners are concerned about their pets >>>>

https://www.doomandbloom.net/coronav...dogs-and-cats/

“We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare for the expectation that this is going to be bad,” said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases
    https://www.nbcboston.com/news/natio...demic/2081743/

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    I am open to revising this plan if/when better info comes along. This is such a novel situation that new info does come out daily.
    I've seen people talking about taking liposomal vit C. Thoughts?