Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2019 novel corona virus

Additional information:

A substance called Lactoferin apparently has properties that inhibit infection by SARS (and by extension, since the same mechanism is believed used, against the novel coronavirus which is now being referred to as Covid-19).

Inhibition of SARS Pseudovirus Cell Entry by Lactoferrin Binding to Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycans
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3161750/

It can be purchased online (Amazon, etc).
    Last edited by bruss01; 02-12-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

This is the latest in a series by pulmonologist (lung doctor) Dr. Roger Seheult MD on the Covid-19 (new name for the Wuhan coronavirus).

This one focuses on several areas of interest (including underreporting, prevention, incubation period) but also covers ground on some of the challenges in devising treatments and why it takes as much time as it does.

While this is good info for just background knowledge, I'm keenly interested in what he says will be the focus of his next installment - practical treatments using extrapolation from known facts. He announces this in the final few minutes of this episode. I'll be tuning in!

Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o804wu5h_ms
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Thanks for the links Bruss
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

My apologies for being absent the last few days. The type A flu paid me a visit on Monday and I’m finally almost back to normal today. But on Monday, I found myself in a situation where people were literally looking at me with fear in their eyes!!

After my diagnosis I went to a local Dollar General on my way home to pick up some extra meds. I was wearing a face mask and because of that, people were legitimately frightened. After getting what I needed I walked to a checkout lane. The guy that was in line in front of me was in the process of paying for his items when he noticed me. He quickly turned to the cashier, grabbed all his stuff, turned and was VERY quickly leaving the store as the cashier was trying to ask him if he wanted his receipt. I heard him holler no as he was already halfway out the doors. The cashier looked at me with a blank look on her face. “I have the flu, and I wish whoever gave it to me would have been wearing a mask so I wouldn’t have gotten it”. She shrugged her shoulders and went about her job.

Imagine how the general public would respond if this were to spread here in the states. Some of the population would be barricaded in their house holding a shot gun shakily while aiming at their front door while some will still go about their normal routine just so they don’t get fired from their job.

At least we aren’t like North Korea. They just executed an infected patient!!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Glad you are feeling better Cav. Monday at the office there was a chorus of coughing and sneezing all around, throughout the workday. I don't think any of it could rationally be Covid-19 but it's that creepy feeling you get hearing a noise late at night after watching a horror flick. It's kind of an involuntary reaction that your brain knows can't be a real threat but your instinct for self-preservation says "don't take a chance!"

I wrote to one of the corporate bigwigs who had sent out an article on the coronavirus (as it was being called at the time) expressing my concerns about all the sick people at work and, given the developing situation the potential for perceived or real risk. Saying it was great to urge people to wash hands and stay home or work remotely if I'll, but it clearly wasn't enough. I'll be darned if they didn't reply personally, saying they hear and echo my concerns, and that they were in discussions about implementing further measures. I'm fortunate that I can work from home frequently and could possibly take that full time if circumstances warranted. May have to consider that in a few weeks, depending on how things progress here in the states. They're saying now 2-4 weeks, we should know if it's going to catch hold here like it has in Asia.

I am hearing the same timeline. The cruise ship that is being used as a petr dish has exploded with the virus. The last count that I had heard last night was over 200 now infected. It appears as though the Achilles Heel of cruise ships is there is no air filtration system in place that can stop an airborne virus in their HVAC system.

As I get ready for work this morning, the local news is on the TV and a report about a new case in San Antonio came on. They gave false information!! Go figure. “This virus does not spread easily and is only spread when you are within 6’ of infected individual, and even then, it is only spread when the infected person coughs or sneezes.”

One thing that I am noticing as of right now is this does appear to be an engineered bio weapon. The only areas(right now) that have outbreaks of this are Asian countries. The same goes for deaths. As of yet, there has not been any deaths except for people from Asian decent. To me this is more evidence of a targeted bio weapon.

Regardless of all of that though, I am monitoring the situation VERY closely.

You could be right about it targeting an ethnicity - there was a publication last year about the potential for development of such... don't have link right now but it was a professional paper by folks in a position to know. There's a vial missing from the Harvard researcher who had two Chinese researchers with him, working at both Harvard and at Wuhan. Who knows if that got smuggled for counter-research purposes and then mishandled at the level 4 bio-lab in Wuhan that experts have long had safety and security concerns about. I think that's a very possible scenario.

I suspect one reason why no deaths here is because if one or two people walk into a hospital, and end up needing to be put on a ventilator, the hospital has a couple at the ready, good to go. If 100 people show up with the same need, do they have 100 respirator/ventilators? There are limits to the scalability of advanced treatments. Maybe we haven't seen deaths here because everyone who needed advanced treatment, got it... and the same wasn't true in China because they were swamped before they knew what hit them... (?) - Possibly.

A recent paper out of Los Alamos analyzed the degree of infectiousness of this virus. A normal cold or flu usually rates around a 2. This monster is over 4, possibly as high as 6.6 - that's impossible to contain short of extreme measures like we see going on in China right now - military-enforced curfew, fogging everything with disinfectant, shutdowns of workplaces or any public gathering.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....07.20021154v1

The novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a recently emerged human pathogen that has spread widely since January 2020. Initially, the basic reproductive number, R0, was estimated to be 2.2 to 2.7. Here we provide a new estimate of this quantity. We collected extensive individual case reports and estimated key epidemiology parameters, including the incubation period. Integrating these estimates and high-resolution real-time human travel and infection data with mathematical models, we estimated that the number of infected individuals during early epidemic double every 2.4 days, and the R0 value is likely to be between 4.7 and 6.6. We further show that quarantine and contact tracing of symptomatic individuals alone may not be effective and early, strong control measures are needed to stop transmission of the virus.

Lots of people are saying "It's no worse than the flu" or "It's just the flu" - they're wrong, and here's how:

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by bruss01; 02-14-2020 at 10:29 AM.

I read the same from Los Alamos. Very sobering what it said.

along those lines this article from South China Morning Post.
    Scroll down the list of countries that have experienced death and look at how many are Asian

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...ed-coronavirus

and zerohedge reporting their economy is collapsing
    https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...proaching-zero

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Lots of people are saying "It's no worse than the flu" or "It's just the flu"
    Ug, this. You can't equate it at all. The seasonal flu is always present, it doesn't make its way to us from China every year. Every metric says this is worse than the seasonal flu, the only hope is that is stops before it gets here, which is doubtful. Its much more infectious/fast moving than MERS or SARS. While the CFR for MERS and SARS might be higher, Covid-19 has killed more people in 2.5 months than SARS did in 9 months and MERS has done in 7 years combined.