Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2019 novel corona virus

Beo I have wondered and been asked the same thing. The thing that stumps me though, I never had a fever, nor did my wife or anyone who was around me get it. I do wonder if I didn't have some form of it looking back on this overall. I also never got Pneumonia. Actually never had any fluid at all in my lungs that was diagnosed.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by initogether View Post
    It sure sounds like the Covid -19 virus Beowulf. It is a good thing you survived it!

I forgot to mention all of the prayer that went with everything I was doing. I kept reciting Psalm 23. It is one of my favorite Psalms.
    Prayer, along with a deep trust and faith in Jesus is some powerful "medicine". Psalm 23 is a good one, one of my favorites also.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    It hadn't occurred to me until yesterday when my daughter and I were discussing it, but I think I may have had a mild case of Covid-19. That upper respiratory infection I had the end of February caused by, according to the doc, an "unspecified" virus, and then less than a week later I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I had a cough, short of breath and a fever that went as high as 102+. I'm fine now having recovered completely. Just seems a bit suspect to me and does cause me to wonder somewhat. However, my girl's were here every evening while I was sick, and they're okay.
    I personally believe that we've already have the S type of Covid-19 running through the population. I think the L strain is much worse and is the strain that has everyone freaking out. Both register on the test as Covid-19. Just a personal theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    I personally believe that we've already have the S type of Covid-19 running through the population. I think the L strain is much worse and is the strain that has everyone freaking out. Both register on the test as Covid-19. Just a personal theory.
    I surely can't disagree with your theory, Renee. I can say this though, I knew I wasn't going to die. I was too darned sick to die! I've had viruses before and a couple of bouts with pneumonia, but I don't believe I've ever been as sick and felt as bad as I did with this. It just flat knocked me for a loop!

That word, "unspecified" attached to a disease gives me the heebie geebies!

Just stay low, beo. Keep taking care of yourself as if you were still trying to recover because there are several reports of relapse. It's been my experience a relapse can have a greater impact than the initial infection.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    It hadn't occurred to me until yesterday when my daughter and I were discussing it, but I think I may have had a mild case of Covid-19. That upper respiratory infection I had the end of February caused by, according to the doc, an "unspecified" virus, and then less than a week later I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I had a cough, short of breath and a fever that went as high as 102+. I'm fine now having recovered completely. Just seems a bit suspect to me and does cause me to wonder somewhat. However, my girl's were here every evening while I was sick, and they're okay.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    That word, "unspecified" attached to a disease gives me the heebie geebies!

Just stay low, beo. Keep taking care of yourself as if you were still trying to recover because there are several reports of relapse. It's been my experience a relapse can have a greater impact than the initial infection.
    I sure will, Cammi. Only time I go outside my fence right now is to get the mail or go for a walk along the little road that turns off the highway into our little subdivision. Or, if absolutely necessary for groceries or medical appointment. As far as groceries, my girls absolutely INSIST I make a list of what I need and let them get it for me. Although I tend not to think about it, they remind me that I've been wandering this "ole rock" for almost seven and a half decades, have had problems with asthma in the past, and that I have absolutely no business out in public places like groceries stores and such. And although I've always been a very independent person...like to do things for myself...right now wisdom says listen to them. Oh, I do go out in my backyard and shoot my bow. Or down to the creek with my .22 pistol or rifle time to time just to get away for a little while. Other than that I'm keeping my old ancient, but still very lively, butt at home. So don't you worry about old Watash here. Although it bothers me, a little, to not be able to get out and go like I like to be able to do, I'm smart enough to know when to cool my jets and stay put. Plus, its only been a few days more than three weeks ago that I was diagnosed with pneumonia, and I know that isn't close to sufficient time for my system to have completely recovered. Even though I feel much better, sleeping a lot better, my appetite has returned (I can't get enough to eat) and I'm regaining some of the weight I lost, I can still feel some of the effects of my illnesses. So caution is definitely the word of the day for a while yet. I just don't get over those things as fast as I did when I was a youngster.

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    There is a lot of conflicting information right now, so citing opposing "experts" is a good way to chase your tail until you drop.

Based on everything I have been able to research so far, here's what my personal plan is.

Phase 3 -serious symptoms (severe cough, shortness of breath, wheezing sounds, high fever)

Start an H1 antagonist, an H2 antagonist, a PPI and an NSAID (de-coder ring below). This should help attenuate the immune response hopefully preventing cytokine storm. Stay on the vitamin D big time. Have simple broth and electrolytes on hand in case gastro symptoms occur. Maybe loperamide (immodium) for Captain Tripps, if he makes an appearance.

Continue until symptoms are gone.

This is assuming superior medical intervention is not available, which in a pandemic, it may well not be.

I'm not a doctor, can't reccomend this to anyone nor do I have a link to an authoritative source, just a "tip" I received. YMMV. But I do know that 80% of pharmaceuticals and their precursors come from China, and that drugstore shelves may be bare by the time official sources get around to advocating these meds, and they are inexpensive. It costs me little to have them in my inventory just in case.

I am open to revising this plan if/when better info comes along. This is such a novel situation that new info does come out daily.

DECODER RING:
    H1 antagonist - Benadryl or it's generic equivalent (diphenhydramine)
    H2 antagonist - Pepcid, Tagamet, Adix, or Zantac or their generic equivalent.
    PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) - Prilosec, Prevacid or Nexium or generic equivalent
    NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) - any of the following or their generics where applicable:

As always, consult YOUR physician before beginning any course of treatment, and be sure to do your homework regarding drug interactions with regard to anything you might take.
    Pepcid being used to treat CV19 in NYC drug trial.
    https://www.newsweek.com/famotidine-...w-york-1500341

Researchers in New York are testing a common heartburn drug as a potential treatment for COVID-19.

The substance in question, known as famotidine, is the active compound in the over-the-counter heartburn medication Pepcid, Science magazine reported.

Callahan was in Wuhan, China during the city's outbreak and had been examining medical records of COVID-19 patients when he noticed something unusual. While the disease was killing as many as one in five patients who were older than the age of 80, a significant portion of the survivors tended to be poor.

He then found out that many of these survivors had been suffering from chronic heartburn and were taking famotidine, a cheap alternative to omeprazole (Prilosec) that is commonly used in the United States and by more affluent Chinese people.

According to Callahan, the records of hospitalized COVID-19 patients he examined appeared to show that those who were taking famotidine were dying at a rate of around 14 percent, whereas those who were not on the drug were dying at a rate of roughly 27 percent.
    Last edited by bruss01; 04-27-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Pepcid being used to treat CV19 in NYC.
    https://www.newsweek.com/famotidine-...w-york-1500341
    I think this is like the drowning man grabbing at straws. At this point I don't think they have any idea what to do. I think the whole country is seriously between the proverbial rock and hard place, and we haven't yet even begun to feel the real impact of this virus...in so many ways. I don't even like to think of all the negatives that can possibly come from this. I try to stay positive, but I'm also pragmatic. I try to think in terms of the very best as well as the very worst. One can't be too negative because that can lead to severe depression, but at the same time things are certainly not all sunshine and roses right now. One has to be realistic, both ways, and plan accordingly as best as one can.

I'm not that frightened of this wannabe "Andromeda Strain" virus, which while highly contagious seems little different than the regular flu, but I am deeply troubled by the political and social consequences. And I mean DEEPLY TROUBLED.

All we can do is wait and see and .... be prepared.

And buy more ammo.

I never dreamed civil war 2 would be over going to the gym.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.