Thread: Axis Stash

Default Axis Stash

I ranch in South Texas and have access to whitetail but Axis is a whole milder less gamey taste. Got a pretty good deal working now. A friend archery pro manages a vineyard not far from me. He has Axis deer coming out his ears and they will destroy crops. With his suppressed 243 he sits back and splits their eyes at 200 yds all day long. For $100 he will shoot, field dress and wash out the carcass and either leave it at his parents house which is really easy to get to, or about a 1/2 mile down the road is Stonewall Smokehouse.

I've heard good things about the place but last time I went by with a whitetail buck, they were full and could not take any more. So he grew up with the folks that own the processing place and has no problem getting in. Three Axis does is a lot of meat, I didn't think about the fact that they are bigger than whitetail.

Will see how this stuff is. I really like making myself but my kids are all too tied up to help these days, or scared. Sure is easy to have it done with no headaches and really good flavor, but I really want to teach the kids how to DIY, the flavor is guaranteed to be exactly what you want.

Also I got them to cut up one side of ribs in about 4" lengths and 4-5 ribs. FIL deep fries them like this and they are really good.

Anyway, got a haul of meat to hold a while, the freezer was kinda empty. Lost it in flood along with about 100 lbs of Nilgai, some Axis and whitetail and all the Caribou.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 01-12-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I sure hope that works out for you because You'ld be set, even if the workin taxing, the end result is like gold in the freezer! Good luck Chip!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Flooded? I hadn't read any threads about that.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Quote Originally Posted by VoorTrekker View Post
    Flooded? I hadn't read any threads about that.
    He lost most everything back in the summer
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Oh. I understand, I saw the devastation from flooding in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Nebraska.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

October 16 of 2018 we finally got the flood that they had warned us of one week prior and ZERO happened. On that day the water came unobstructed down the Llano river and hit our lake rising to 18' high at my house. The I think it is Texas 2900 bridge at Kingsland, Texas collapsed at about 8:15 that morning. Lost lots of stuff, but freezer full of meat hurt pretty bad.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Oops time flies.....
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.