Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Visions of a Garden

Default 2020 Visions of a Garden

Just had to take advantage of the new year lol.

I moved at the end of summer, and have been working hard to prep the property for gardens, chickens, goats and other stock. I have big goals and the list is long.

We've done a lot of clearing and have a temporary run and coop for the fowl. The guineas pay no attention to the 6 foot high wire but the chickens and ducks respect it. I hope to plant muscadine, grapes, blackberry and blueberry this season. I've been clearing another area for a large garden but I'm not sure I'll be able to plant it this year.

My wish is to have a green house 400 sq ft or larger. Who all have one?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Sounds good Flock. You got a lot done so far, but there is always more to do than time to do it.

We have 3 garden spots, I try and rotate between them. Also have a small orchard, blueberry, and grape vines. Always looking to expand something. A greenhouse is on my long term list too.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

good on you flock
    IMHO you are on the right track to delay short term annuals (garden) for things that will product for years.
    berrys are a fantastic start and should bear fruit in a couple years
    follow up with dwarf fruit trees , again come into production in a couple years
    then you are done with those and can sit back (LOL) and just watch them grow
    then do an annual garden

I have greenhouse which i use to extend the season by starting plants early which i just started.
    I am in zone 6B in upper east Tn
    got some cold tolerant lettuce in the ground this past week

If I were you I would worry about building greenhouse next winter for summer 2021 garden

I have three very large soil gardens about an acre ea. and 5 greenhouses. Three of the greenhouses are fairly small, 10'x16'. The other 2 are 18'x24'. I also have a kitchen garden, 100'x96'.

I've started 3 small hydroponic gardens indoors just to see if it's worth it to me and I'm enjoying the hell out of them. So easy to manage and harvest from, and clean, in a controlled environment. Being the Texas heat has really been getting to me the last two years, I'm strongly considering going full on hydroponics. Convert the soil greenhouses and have my kitchen garden inside my house since I have a large spare room. I'm having fantastic success with hydroponics and the food is right at my fingertips. I don't have to fight the heat in Texas. I will keep one root veggie garden and the corn field That's an acre in size ea ( potatoes, beats, carrots, corn, asparagus etc..) intact but the others will most likely go back to being a yard instead of gardens. The leafy veggies, beans and peas, okra, fairy tail eggplants, tomatoes, peppers, melons etc... I want to go full hydroponic and install water cool fans in the outdoor greenhouses.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

You have an acre of asparagus??

Oh hell no. I have almost of acre of leafy green veggies that include asparagus, collards, spinach, squash and zukes and and herbs. I have almost an acre of tubers....potatoes, turnups, beets, carrots etc. and a 1/4 acre of corn and about an 1/8 acre of okra. Then I have my kitchen garden that has melons and smaller varieties of other veggies like tomatoes, cabbage, radish, green beans, peas etc... and more herbs. I have several fruit trees and my green houses where I grow fruit like pineapples, kumquat, drarf dragon fruit, and low growing bush bearing fruits. My fence lines have rows of berries and cactus.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

LOL, I figured. I do remember one of your grape harvests so I didn't put it past you. I have almost 20 acres to use now, I have no intentions of gardening that much but enough garden to supply a roadside stand has been in my thoughts. We have Amish nearby it's almost more efficient to buy bulk from them.

I wish I had more land. I have one acre, and my house and utility shed sit on it. My current garden space is approximately 2000 sq. Ft. But now that I'm "flying solo" I have more space I could till up and turn into garden also. In past years it was lawn that I tried to maintain for beautification to please Sandy. But now that I don't have her anymore (sigh) grass doesn't seem nearly as important as growing sustenance. Gotta recover from an up coming surgery (Jan 29th) for a hernia before I can think about doing much hard work, though. Had it done back in Sept 2017. Doctor did laproscopic (sp) surgery...two small incisions...band aid surgery, but it didn't last. He said this time he's gong to do open surgery and FIX it. I'm probably looking at at least six to eight weeks for full recovery. I don't want to do too much too soon and have it open back up. Gonna drive me nuts. I HATE not being able to get out and do stuff! But I'll get there. Can't keep an old war horse down too long.
    Last edited by beowulf; 01-12-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Prayers for swift recovery! I'm a firm believer in working out your ailments but healing first and foremost.

Prayers going up Beo. Take it easy on yourself and give it time to heal. You sure don't want problems with it.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13