Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned or Hard Target House For SHTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    finris,

I agree that shutters are a great tool to have, but realistically they are not very useful against someone who has no intentions of breaking into your home and is instead more interested in simply getting you to evacuate all together and take your home along with everything in it that you weren't able to carry out as you ran for your life trying not to get shot by them as they shoot through your outer walls or set one side of your house on fire.

Yes, if it's a relatively low scale SHTF event that is either localized or short term, then the things you mentioned will be of great help, but if it's an all out long term SHTF event, then people trying to break into your home through your windows or doors will be the least of your worries.

We really need to do better at grasping what a SHTF event truly means as it pertains to our long term survivability .
    Well Sir, lets look at those metal roll down shutters, AR500 seems to work well, Multiply layered windows rated B6. If your home is built out of concrete and earthen sheltered...You can't torch concrete like a tinder box like most US homes are made of... If you have friends who are think outside the box type. You might have them come by and tell you how they would attack your place. Of course if they are professionals they way they would go after the place will differ from the world of Amateurs....Might ask a amateur how they would do it...

Also would say this is a good reason why not to keep all things at your home...Having a cache or 2 or 10 depending on your location etc. Even then you might also plan a way to take your home back from evil doers if it happens to get taken. You know while your not there or have guests waiting on you when you were away visiting grandma and SHTF while away.....I don't think inside the box, a product of having dyslexia is your mind is always working on problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    I'm really not trying to sound like a smartass but, why would anyone be dumb enough to spray their bullets into a house when they can't see behind walls where you might be, and being on foot, their ammo would be limited? Even being in my own place with a nice stash of ammo, I wouldn't shoot at anything I couldn't verify as a target.

not a smartazz remark - totally practical and based in reality >>> while someone like this ammo sprayer is emptying his magazine - the guard or the neighboring reinforcements are flanking - just another reason why you can't be openly exposing yourself thru uncovered windows ...

no matter the type of SHTF - even a natural disaster like a hurricane/earthquake/tornado - you'll want a nite watch if not an armed guard ..

Quote Originally Posted by finris View Post
    Well Sir, lets look at those metal roll down shutters, AR500 seems to work well, Multiply layered windows rated B6. If your home is built out of concrete and earthen sheltered...You can't torch concrete like a tinder box like most US homes are made of... If you have friends who are think outside the box type. You might have them come by and tell you how they would attack your place. Of course if they are professionals they way they would go after the place will differ from the world of Amateurs....Might ask a amateur how they would do it...

Also would say this is a good reason why not to keep all things at your home...Having a cache or 2 or 10 depending on your location etc. Even then you might also plan a way to take your home back from evil doers if it happens to get taken. You know while your not there or have guests waiting on you when you were away visiting grandma and SHTF while away.....I don't think inside the box, a product of having dyslexia is your mind is always working on problems...
    Finris,

An earthen shelter with B6 rated windows and roll down shutters made out of AR500 (if I understood that correctly) is for sure a preppers dream, but my statements were more pertaining to the average American home which is made from wood. I think what you described would be great, but a bit out of reach for most of us due to the cost.

I do agree that caches are a great idea.

My comments are based on my experience in real world SHTF situations in my previous career. From what I've experienced in multiple wide spread, long term SHTF situations, abandoned buildings are typically the first ones to get explored, torched, occupied or shot up just for the fun of it. Once people realize there's no police or other authorities to maintain rule of law, all logic and respect for others peoples lives/safety/property can go out the window rather quickly. Add in being in an area with already preexisting cultural or social tensions and you have a recipe for thugs to go around shooting entire neighborhoods up just for the fun of it. Trying to defend your home against 20 to 30 young men with more ammo and guns then they can carry is not an easy task (if you're on your own or a hand full of other adults) even if the thugs are relatively disorganized and inexperienced at shooting firearms or basic tactics/movements.

In conclusion; I do not recommend making a home look abandoned in any SHTF situation due to how much more visitors it will get when compared to a home that is visibly guarded/protected.

In your previous career, I'm sure you saw most home every where else in the world are built with cement blocks and rebar and concrete pored in the holes. I have seen them make 2 walls with some space and pack it with dirt.

Yes most American homes are match box type. No I would not like to be in one if someone wanted to torch it. '

I also agree having a more armed presence hardened looking. You have to have the man power to keep it. Yes it might keep the standard thugs from shooting at your home. Yet, the more professional attacker is going to go about it differently... A hand full of people with some training could take it from you.

1 dedicated sniper/DMR putting the hurt on your security force for a week or 2...Thermal watching inside outside your home.Less than a dozen guys with 2 blocks of C4 some cardboard for breaching fencing and walls. Max 6 guys with 6 magazines a piece and that many frags a piece.

I am looking at more a rural area. Don't notice me. Don't realize what I have until its too late. Not as cool as having a KORD 12.7X108mm MG on your roof. I live near a munitions factory and they have AT4's out there.

When you look at walls/fences in Buenos Aries, they all have glass on the top...You might not notice it. If you try and go over their wall you sure will find out about it quick.

Yes, these walled compounds like benladens in Islamabad type thing is a visual leave us alone. That only goes so far.

In your previous career, I'm sure you saw most home every where else in the world are built with cement blocks and rebar and concrete pored in the holes. I have seen them make 2 walls with some space and pack it with dirt.

Yes most American homes are match box type. No I would not like to be in one if someone wanted to torch it. '

I also agree having a more armed presence hardened looking. You have to have the man power to keep it. Yes it might keep the standard thugs from shooting at your home. Yet, the more professional attacker is going to go about it differently... A hand full of people with some training could take it from you.

1 dedicated sniper/DMR putting the hurt on your security force for a week or 2...Thermal watching inside outside your home.Less than a dozen guys with 2 blocks of C4 some cardboard for breaching fencing and walls. Max 6 guys with 6 magazines a piece and that many frags a piece.

I am looking at more a rural area. Don't notice me. Don't realize what I have until its too late. Not as cool as having a KORD 12.7X108mm MG on your roof. I live near a munitions factory and they have AT4's out there.

When you look at walls/fences in Buenos Aries, they all have glass on the top...You might not notice it. If you try and go over their wall you sure will find out about it quick.

Yes, these walled compounds like benladens in Islamabad type thing is a visual leave us alone. That only goes so far.
    I can vouch for the truth in this post. In my 23 years active duty I crossed the "pond" a few times: Philippines, Korea, Thailand, and others. Your description of how they build is dead on. And I've seen those walls around a compound with glass on top. Trying to climb over could probably end up a case of "suture self". And the houses they're building in the U.S. these days? Right on again. Better be careful about sneezing inside. You're subject to blow the walls down around you.

Having been in one of those countries in the very poor areas. Me and a few guys had been out drinking some, and walking down the street. Had a guy step off the road and step over into like 3 pieces of corrugated tin and starts pissing...Had this guy come up yelling Why you pissing in my house!!!! Well it did turn out to be the poor guys house....You do have those folks. SHTF will not affect them to much.

Having been in one of those countries in the very poor areas. Me and a few guys had been out drinking some, and walking down the street. Had a guy step off the road and step over into like 3 pieces of corrugated tin and starts pissing...Had this guy come up yelling Why you pissing in my house!!!! Well it did turn out to be the poor guys house....You do have those folks. SHTF will not affect them to much.
    Oh, Lordy! finris, you're stirring up the dust from times and memories long past. Those were the days, for sure!

Look up "The Morrow Project". It's an old RPG series that takes place in a classic nuclear war PAW, and there are bases scattered around the US that are setup to look like a variety of abandoned properties. The writers of the modules were really creative about how to conceal the facilities, for instance the entrances, nature of the base, and basically how to make it look unapproachable/dangerous.

If you have property turn it into your enemy's worst nightmare. Spiderholes. Booby traps , sniper hides, bunkers and fox holes all around. If your gonna have a boogaloo may as well have the party at your place.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    If you have property turn it into your enemy's worst nightmare. Spiderholes. Booby traps , sniper hides, bunkers and fox holes all around. If your gonna have a boogaloo may as well have the party at your place.
    Don't forget the punji sticks smeared with either swine or human feces.