Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned or Hard Target House For SHTF?

Default Abandoned or Hard Target House For SHTF?

https://youtu.be/HJfkCdNVEEk

new UTube posting for the Big Guy over at Reality Survival & Prepping >>>> topic that comes up quite often - especially with the newbies still trying to figure crap out >>> fortify your bug in/BOL place or play Hollyweird and have a staged play ...

this has never been a either/or discussion for me >>>> if you begin to understand the desperation that's going to be circulating around with these unprepared sheeple - you'd know that you could prop up the most pox riddled diseased corpse by your front door >>> and these starving retches - perhaps diseased themselves - are going to step right over your fakey set dressings ....

and - the UTube discusses this first >>> you signal an abandoned home and you're either inviting an almost constant killing of trespassers or a firefight that sooner or later you'll lose ...

keep in mind - there'll be wayyyyy more dark and totally open homes than homes that show life and have a barbed wire entrance ...

I went hard target a few years back
    I think one of the fallacies of the "abandoned" philosophy is that it assumes a total WROL situation
    but IMHO we are more likely to see a slow slide into shtf with property crime growing worse and worse, I am talking about stealing things from your property not at the stage where people are lobbing Molotov cocktails.
    so in that situation it is somewhat like having a burglar alarm sticker - the burglar moves on to a softer target
    I want the meth heads to decide my retreat is just too hard to bother with and move on to a softer target
    so my entire perimeter of 1,600 lf of road frontage is fenced. Not that a pair of bolt cutters won't get you in, but few meth heads carry those - at least not now, LOL
    my entrance is gated and stays closed and locked
    i have obvious security cameras (as well as a few not so visible)
    in short, I think the most likely situation to protect from is not a full on emp type Armageddon, it is more likely increased property crime.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    I went hard target a few years back
    I think one of the fallacies of the "abandoned" philosophy is that it assumes a total WROL situation
    but IMHO we are more likely to see a slow slide into shtf with property crime growing worse and worse, I am talking about stealing things from your property not at the stage where people are lobbing Molotov cocktails.
    so in that situation it is somewhat like having a burglar alarm sticker - the burglar moves on to a softer target
    I want the meth heads to decide my retreat is just too hard to bother with and move on to a softer target
    so my entire perimeter of 1,600 lf of road frontage is fenced. Not that a pair of bolt cutters won't get you in, but few meth heads carry those - at least not now, LOL
    my entrance is gated and stays closed and locked
    i have obvious security cameras (as well as a few not so visible)
    in short, I think the most likely situation to protect from is not a full on emp type Armageddon, it is more likely increased property crime.

just had a prepper posting conversation concerning bug in home prep >>> female prepper advised stockpiling extra curtains, blankets , sheets ect ect to "deaden" windows to light, sound, cooking odors ...

problem is that before a SHTF gets to that point of concern - comes the probable residence looting & associated arson >>> definitely want to guard against the Zippo Squad that fire up anything they can reach thru broken windows - being able to barricade the home opening to protect the glass and prevent arson could be 50% of the SHTF problem ...

I prefer both. Keep them guessing until their brains are splattered all over the place. I can see whats coming a half a mile away from every direction being way up on a hill. From my lookouts, I can see out but they can't see in and I'm 20 miles plus from activity on a main road with no neighborhoods near by. At best, a straggler might wander in my path by accident but he/she won't see anything until they are within my firing range. Then it's too late.

Even in a slow decline after SHTF, people like me will be on very high alert 24/7 for thieves, robbers and others who want to bring harm. People who are desperate are in bigger danger than those who 'expect' desperate people to show up. We know they will eventually come, and we stay ready for them.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

That's my thought. Cleared back from house, not as far as you talk but couple hundred yards. I'm thinking that if it happens, I'll strategically place coke bottles with nails and tannerite just to help the perps make a decision.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I like the combo look. Let the house appear somewhat abandoned. But have plenty of things to deter thugery. Barbed wire, blackberries, and wild roses in some areas to get thru. I have a few more to buy, but I'll have blackout shades, that double as insulated shades on all the windows. Front porch easy enough to wire up and make almost impossible to enter. And will be on guard to take longer range action if need be.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I'm for sure bugging in, I'll play my theatrics by ear. Might even move into the barn.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I like the whole low profile. I also think you should be able to be fortified. I like the metal rolling shutters for windows. Blackout curtains are also a good idea. I read a Louis Lamor book. I seem to recall him talking about having rocks painted that you can see from you shooting positions with the yardage being precise. You know they make paint that glows in the dark even. If your using a NVG or scope and even thermal scopes. Fibrotex corporation makes hides and cloths that beat NV and IR and Thermal...Movement sensors might be a thing. Pressure sensors and other things might be advantageous. I know a few who have all obsticals ranged from every firing position with cards.

I agree that some things will probably slowly go down. Might happen fast depends on what occurs. I think it is best to plan on both.

We have wild black berries and heirloom rose bushes in some places but my favorite and what we have all around out perameter are very thorny cactus. I love the cactus because it serves multi purpose. A very good deterrent and a great source of food. I like to fry up a couple pan cactus pods every once in a while when I make cornbread ans beans. I have them growing thick around our place.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Good topic.

Here are a few thoughts to add to the conversation:

Be it a meth head, crack head, good guy or bad guy, most people will opt to take the path of least resistance when looking for scraps or a temporary place to shelter from the elements (heat, cold, snow,rain). So if the home is in a high traffic area such as on or near a main road then one should expect to have a good number of people stopping by to investigate an abandoned looking home for the reasons I mentioned above. If one is going to bug in and they are alone or are the primary protector of the family, making your intentions known to those passing by in ways of signage such as "you loot we shoot" may be the best option.

There will always be determined bad guys who will test ones resolve to protect ones property or loved ones, but by making your intentions know and clear to those passing by, one will drastically reducing stressful interactions with those that are simply passing by trying to survive and have absolutely no intentions of engaging in confrontations; therefor, reducing the amount/times one would have to constantly display their ability to defend what's theirs, which in a SHTF situation can be extremely taxing on ones physical and mental state/well being.

Keep in mind that the majority of homes in the US are easily torched or shot through, so building partnerships with neighbors to prevent those passing by (bugging out or simply scavenging for food or other materials) to get close to your home in the first place is really your best bet. Creating distance between threats and your home via perimeters will help ensure your loved ones and your property remain safer. NOT safe, but just a bit safer in the grand scheme of things in a SHTF environment (depending on what type of SHTF one is experiencing).

If the home is out in the middle of no where, then making sure to practice strict light discipline at night and noise and smoke discipline during the day would be a wise choice so as to not attract attention from those who would otherwise not even notice your home as they pass by in the distance.

I really think that most people just don't realize how easy it is to shoot up a house for the purpose of forcing the occupants to evacuate quickly so they can take it and it's contents for themselves.