Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 VW Jetta Diesel/manual/high miles- Value?/

Default 2012 VW Jetta Diesel/manual/high miles- Value?/

Sorry guys - have time on my hands today - my neighbor dropped by and offered their old 2012 VW Jetta diesel/stick shift/turbo. Fly in ointment 270,000 mostly highway miles. Haven't talked money yet. I have driven in pass and is in good shape- owner maintenance. No leaks where parked. Has two sets of tires - studded snow - on now and regular tire set. What do you think?
    "...Your most important survival tool is your brain -think!..."
    Rand of the Return of Planet X

Back in 70's I was oilfield back when they would let us fuel up on rig to travel on. I got a GMC diesel Blazer but gas thanks to Carter ran up to .65/gallon and we panicked. A friend bought a diesel Rabbit. That thing only had about a two teaspoon gas tank but ran forever on that little bit. I guess it all depends on price.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I'll buy it, LOL.
    diesel rabbits are good to have
    kbb.com will give you some idea of worth

better find out where that neighbor has been getting repairs & irregular maintenance - if a garage/dealership is willing to give it a try >>> it could be a fricking nitemare ...

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    I'll buy it, LOL.
    diesel rabbits are good to have
    kbb.com will give you some idea of worth
    kbb.com most helpful - it's a sports wagon model - Fair = Has some cosmetic defects that require repairing and/or replacing Good = Has some repairable cosmetic defects and is free of major mechanical problems. If was 100,000 miles in good condition $6,000 to $8,000. Fair is $5,000 to $7,000. Using the 270,000 miles at both good and fair and then averaged it - comes to $3800. Good starting point. Thanks guys for the comments - as said it comes down to the Benjamin's. Let you know the outcome. LH

They are good cars. But not every mechanic is a vw mechanic. My background is as a mechanic. I have an a&p
    Certification by schooling, worked on f15s in the air Force. Been a car guy all my life, and have 20 + years working on equipment. Raced cars and built them for years. I don't work on vw stuff. They are just odd ducks. So knowing that alot of good mechanics don't know about vw's is an important but of info

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    They are good cars. But not every mechanic is a vw mechanic. My background is as a mechanic. I have an a&p
    Certification by schooling, worked on f15s in the air Force. Been a car guy all my life, and have 20 + years working on equipment. Raced cars and built them for years. I don't work on vw stuff. They are just odd ducks. So knowing that alot of good mechanics don't know about vw's is an important but of info
    The old bugs were a blast. Built a buggy before I could have a drivers license at the ranch and a couple sand rails after that. Really fun those old bugs and Porsches.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Yup, everybody I knew with rabbits and golfs etc used places that specifically mentioned "German auto" in their names. Same with volvos, my old man would tow his 100 miles to his "Volvo guy" and never regretted it.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

The old cis injection was weird. Where a normal car had 12v a vw only had 5..lol the way they do things is completely different. I'm a Toyota guy. I like Japanese cars. I know my way around them. My brother brings his Ford f150 to me for stuff now and again and I am like why did Ford do it that way..that's dumb...but a Ford guy looking at a Toyota probably thinks Toyota engineers are dumb. But they all think vw engineers are dumb

Score! It's a 2002 - not 2012 - my mistake. Mileage remains the same. Meticulous records and notes. Timing belt change every 80,000 miles. Oil every 5,000. Dealer and reputable auto shop repairs and invoices. Two months ago new front tie rod ends, oil change, new oil pan, changed transmission fluid, new control arms and alignment. Studded snow tires on front - two new snow tires on rear. New summer tire set used only last season. Sliding sun roof, heated mirrors, butt warmer, mean seat - leather seats. kbb.com on very good $2600 to $3400. Shook hands on $2000.

They sold their home - and have to be out on Tuesday - bought new p/u Silverado Christmas Eve and with thier VW 4//4 conversion van, bogging to Idaho, New Years. Didn't want to have to return for Jetta which was original plan as a ride for visitor use. LH