Thread: New house!

Default New house!

So Mrs. Pork and I are finally in our new home. It took us almost two years to accomplish but here we are. We spent that time living on the 7 acres we bought after we sold our last house in an 34' RV. Man what a haul that was. We spent the time paying off debt and incurring new debts for things we needed. Learned a lot of things about the world and how my family effects our world. We have spent nearly all the time on the property without a well of any kind and having to haul water daily. 24 Gallons at time. Also no septic. So we hauled everything in and everything out.

So here we sit now in a 2200 sqft house with a septic and a free flowing artesian well that is 500' deep. Slowly getting boxes unpacked from storage, enjoying the solitude of the land. We are surrounded on three sides by timberland.

We have laying hens that I am about to expand the run area for them. Then we will begin adding animals to our homestead as we can take care of them. What a relief this finally is. I know I am adding a whole new set of problems, but we can finally let the kids run in the house without shaking it.

So question time. What animals would you want to add to your homestead, and why?
    Vox Populi!

rabbits. Good eating and they breed like rabbits.

Goats another animal. Small and eat mostly the brush and undergrowth that creates a fire problem in timber regions. Also might consider Guineas. Eggs to eat like chickens but excellent watchdogs.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

i second the rabbit recommendation
    they are more quiet than chickens
    produce very valuable pellets for your garde
    easy to butcher
    small quantity - eat at one setting or two, so no need to preserve

and congrats on the new house
    and way to go on the sacrifice to get there

Absolutely fantastic! Congrats, sacrifice pays off.
    Rabbits
    Goats
    Talapia
    Bees

I believe a man with those animals paired with a good garden would have everything he needed.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Congrats on the house and for the way you went about it. Great job
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Congrats on the house and homestead. I did a small urban homestead for several years in Denver. The location was out of way industrial area with very little traffic after 5 pm or weekends. Home was and still is travel trailer. Wind and solar. 12 X 36 garden. Chickens, started with 6 - maintained 3 core and 4 goats. No rooster or billy. Brought boys to visit the girls... then found those boys really good homes. Rhode Island Reds for cold weather and laying. Nigerian dwarfs for hardiness and milk quality. Was looking at rabbits -

Denver zoning government stumbled across my set up and made a fuss. Property is owned by the railroad and they told them to kiss off. No jurisdiction. Then the City started adding lights and sidewalks to the surrounding area. Figured it was only a matter of time and took off for the remoteness of Wyoming. Those years were about seeing if I could do it - as had been city raised. Thrived and loved it - Pork Family, enjoy the adventure ahead of you. LH
    "...Your most important survival tool is your brain -think!..."
    Rand of the Return of Planet X

i imagine there's a real feeling of security in having shelter being taken care of. Congratulations.

So I have wanted to do rabbits for year, but the wife doesn't want to raise bunnies for food. Rabbits are food, bunnies are pets and she can't separate the two.

The goats is a maybe. My daughter wants them because she thinks they are cute. I don't think she realizes she can get milk from the, and how much work they will be. We are kicking around the idea of getting some Dexter cows for meat. Just not sure the timeframe of when. I have a friend that raises quail for food and eggs, so I am taking the family next time the cull the flock to see how they respond to that. That will tell me a lot about the type of animals we can have for food, and how many vegetables I will be eating if they are not able to shoot things in the face and then eat them.

Going to be slowly adding the property in physical structures starting with a car port for the wife to park in when its raining. Then hopefully a small barn for farm tools that I want to start getting.
    Vox Populi!