Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyro putty fire starter

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    The nice thing about pitch pine or pine knots is it will light even if wet.
    Hey, Bammer, I just had a thought. Maybe you and I should get together and start a survival school...you know, teach some of these "new dogs" old tricks...to reverse an old adage. Could be exasperating, but could probably be fun, and entertaining also.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Pyro putty. Fire starter. Anyone tried it? Just ordered a few types off Amazon. Looks like if it works I could lighten up my fire starter stuff in my b.o.b
    that's one of the problems - not everything is BOB oriented - weight & size doesn't always need to factor in >>> having a quiky sure firestarter in the vehicle gear is just as necessary ...

I like practicing the flint. But honestly. I have a big zip lock with 5 lighters, good all weather matches, fire sticks , 12 trioxcane pacs. And I have a fero rod in my gear. I think the pyro puffy will remove the 12 trioxcane and fire sticks. And just be a dip can size.

But I like getting stuff done quick when I can. Suns going down and I need to get a fire going and set up my shelter. And go get more wood in 20 minutes kinda thing.

I hear ya, Driftz. I'm certainly not above using matches or a lighter to get a fire going quickly. Good thing about fat wood, light a match and hold it to a piece of fat wood its like instantly flame. And thre or four of those splinters of fat wood the length and diameter of a standard pencil will burn for a long time. Plenty of time to add kindling and then your main fuel. I have a few boxes of those storm matches made by UCO. The ones with an extra long head on them that will burn for fifteen or twenty seconds...and you just about can't blow them out. Also, you light one, immerse it in water, and when you take it out of the water it will reignite. Just the same, I always have my "back ups" with me. And the more you practice with them the more adept you become at getting a fire going pronto with them. It wise to cover all bases.

I gotta order and buy pitch pine because around here we call it foreign or imported. Cedar is close and grows around the house but not at the ranch. So cotton ball of vaseline it is for me.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Been kicking around this old rock nigh onto seven and a half decades, so I know things young'uns these days have never heard of. I guess you could even say I'm somewhat in rebellion against modern technology to a certain point.
    I've started fires with many different methods.
    That really has little to do with what I said about buying things to use as tinder.

I'm one who believes it very important to know how to do things the way my ancestors did them.
    I know how to do those things the old way.
    I first learned to do it with a rock and an old piece of steel file.

We didn't use ferro rods or fancy gelled fuel.
    We used what you could find or fabricate in the woods.

I know our ancestors found better ways too.

Even a lighter that's out of fuel can still generate a spark.

They are really nothing more than flint, steel and fuel in one handy package.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
    I've started fires with many different methods.
    That really has little to do with what I said about buying things to use as tinder.

I know how to do those things the old way.
    I first learned to do it with a rock and an old piece of steel file.

We didn't use ferro rods or fancy gelled fuel.
    We used what you could find or fabricate in the woods.

I know our ancestors found better ways too.

Even a lighter that's out of fuel can still generate a spark.

They are really nothing more than flint, steel and fuel in one handy package.
    Well, Snyper, I'm very glad you have all this knowledge. And thanks for sharing. That's what this forum is all about, sharing information and learning from one another. Because none of us knows all there is to know about everything we need to know something about. And we had better be honest enough with ourselves to acknowledge and admit our own limitations. To not do so is very dangerous indeed. Not nearly enough folks understand the importance of this type knowledge, because, as I said, modern technology has turned folks soft...too dependent on instant this and instant that. Too many don't want to learn because they have a "oh, it'll never come to that" attitude and mentality. Now, don't misunderstand me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the good life. I do my share of that myself. But the difference between me and a lot of folks is, if necessary, I could get along without a lot of modern conveniences. And even after seventy four and a half years of drawing breath every day, and despite of the things I know, there is still a lot I don't know...but I'm working on it. But I know way more than enough to get along quiet well in austere, difficult circumstances. I truly hope you, too, have sufficient experience that you can have that same confidence in your own abilities. And I'm not saying I don't believe you because I don't know you nor what you do honestly know and can do. Lots of folks like to talk the talk, but when it comes time to walk the walk they're afraid to get off the sidewalk. And if you took anything I said before, or here as an insult, you're way off base. I meant no insult at all. Was just discussing things in general and expressing my points of view. Not everyone sees things the same way. Indeed, fire making is a basic essential and everyone should know how to do so in just about any circumstance. It could mean the difference between seeing the sun rise tomorrow and not. I do carry matches and lighters in my ruck or haversack. I usually have at least two zippo lighters and a can of lighter fluid as well. But I also carry the old ways of getting a fire going, the things that have worked for time immortal before there were matches and lighters. Well, I've taken up too much space already, and I don't wish to be a bore, so I'll say good night for now. See ya on the flip side.
    Last edited by beowulf; 12-16-2019 at 01:08 AM.

Yup. Sleestack?

nah
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.