Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyro putty fire starter

Default Pyro putty fire starter

Pyro putty. Fire starter. Anyone tried it? Just ordered a few types off Amazon. Looks like if it works I could lighten up my fire starter stuff in my b.o.b

I've used a product called Fire Ribbon. It came in a tube like toothpaste. It worked very well. and it didn't take much to get a fire going.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I'm a country boy, and I've always just used fat wood...the resin impregnated part of the stump of a pine tree. That stuff ignites instantly and burns hot and long. I have some of those military chemical neutralizing kit boxes that I cut the fat wood into small splinters, stuff'em in one of those boxes and keep them in my pack. You can buy fat wood, but I usually look for a pine stump when I'm prowling around the woods doing my Daniel Boone thing. I always have my tomahawk with me and hack off several large pieces and bring them home to keep my supply built up. You can take a stick of fat wood, scrape it with a knife and get a small pile of powder you can ignite with a ferro rod. I keep two or three of those in my pack also. I've never tried any of the commercial fire starter stuff, so can't comment on it. Funny thing, I never heard fat wood called anything except "lighterd" until I left South Georgia.
    Last edited by beowulf; 12-11-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I'm a country boy, and I've always just used fat wood...the resin impregnated part of the stump of a pine tree. That stuff ignites instantly and burns hot and long. I have some of those military chemical neutralizing kit boxes that I cut the fat wood into small splinters, stuff'em in one of those boxes and keep them in my pack. You can buy fat wood, but I usually look for a pine stump when I'm prowling around the woods doing my Daniel Boone thing. I always have my tomahawk with me and hack off several large pieces and bring them home to keep my supply built up. You can take a stick of fat wood, scrape it with a knife and get a small pile of powder you can ignite with a ferro rod. I keep two or three of those in my pack also. I've never tried any of the commercial fire starter stuff, so can't comment on it. Funny thing, I never heard fat wood called anything except "lighterd" until I left South Georgia.
    We call it pitch pine here, or pine knots . I gather it up every time I'm in the woods. There's no better fire starter IMO .

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    We call it pitch pine here, or pine knots . I gather it up every time I'm in the woods. There's no better fire starter IMO .
    A country boy CAN survive!!

All you really need to start fires is dry wood and a knife.
    You can scrape and shave slivers of any size needed to light your kindling.
    If you're having to buy things, buy cigarette lighters or candles

The nice thing about pitch pine or pine knots is it will light even if wet.

I at times have not been able to find dry wood or pine. This or trioxcane is easy and quick. If your on the go. I have trioxcane in my bag as well as fire sticks. But this might replace both. I will find out I guess.

I can see having a for sure fire starter on hand extremely beneficial. Cold wet and shivering makes starting a fire extremely difficult.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
    All you really need to start fires is dry wood and a knife.
    You can scrape and shave slivers of any size needed to light your kindling.
    If you're having to buy things, buy cigarette lighters or candles
    I have all those nice, modern, fancy "doo-dads", but I'm one who believes it very important to know how to do things the way my ancestors did them. When it comes to starting fires I prefer things such as flint and steel and char cloth, ferro (ferrocerium) rod. Did you know that with a ferro rod you can generate really hot sparks by scraping it with just a piece of plain old glass? REAL glass, not Plexiglas or plastic. I know all about "fuzz sticks", cedar bark, pine cones, and birch bark to use as tinder for fire starting. Did you know that birch bark will ignite almost instantly even when wet? Now, I'm a "WELL seasoned" citizen (what Rush Limbaugh calls us of farts). Been kicking around this old rock nigh onto seven and a half decades, so I know things young'uns these days have never heard of. I guess you could even say I'm somewhat in rebellion against modern technology to a certain point. I believe its making people soft and unable to take care of themselves in dire, austere circumstances...and that ain't good. I could go on, but since this thread is about fire starting I should try to stick pretty close that topic.
    Last edited by beowulf; 12-11-2019 at 10:52 PM.