Thread: ESCAPE - ESCAPE - ESCAPE > Bug Out Time

Default ESCAPE - ESCAPE - ESCAPE > Bug Out Time

article is wayyyyyyyyy to wordy and could have trimmed the naive "Everybody knows that" bull >>> but there's a few pondering in there and maybe something that could make the difference sometime ....

https://survivalblog.com/planning-es...t-1-jmd/print/

https://survivalblog.com/planning-es...t-2-jmd/print/

https://survivalblog.com/planning-es...t-3-jmd/print/

https://survivalblog.com/planning-es...t-4-jmd/print/

https://survivalblog.com/planning-es...t-5-jmd/print/
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 12-09-2019 at 09:34 AM.

any Monday morning thoughts on this guy's BOB take?

You're assuming someone took the time to read that....
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I've been reading bug out blogs, books and magazines for the last umpteen dozen years. Mostly, beyond the basics of food, water, fire, shelter, clothing and personal security, other "necessities" are pretty much up to the individual. One of the most important things to come to grips with, in my humble opinion, is the fact that bugging out and surviving is going to be a hard road to travel. Luxury is only going to slow you down, and could cost you dearly. Its sort of like leaving society and moving into a wilderness area and living completely off grid. It takes a special mentality, and a complete understanding of what you'll be up against. Bugging out and surviving under some austere conditions is going to be rough, and a lot of folks won't make it. Not many have the funds to buy a remote property, build adequate shelter, stock it with what's needed and then maintain it. and even those who do, there's the problem of maintaining secrecy while doing so. Many, many, many are living with a gross misperception of what it will be like. Old coots like me have the advantage of having done a lot of those things just for fun when we were growing up. I think I spent more time prowling around the woods than I did at home. It would take far too much space here to list all the thigs one would have to consider...before hand...prior to "lighting a shuck" to the hinterlands. I, for one, pray it neve comes to that. Just some adle thoughts of an old fart.
    Last edited by beowulf; 12-09-2019 at 09:40 AM.

LOL old fart. MY bobs have changed so much through the years and increases in my skills.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I've been reading bug out blogs, books and magazines for the last umpteen dozen years. Mostly, beyond the basics of food, water, fire, shelter, clothing and personal security, other "necessities" are pretty much up to the individual. One of the most important things to come to grips with, in my humble opinion, is the fact that bugging out and surviving is going to be a hard road to travel. Luxury is only going to slow you down, and could cost you dearly. Its sort of like leaving society and moving into a wilderness area and living completely off grid. It takes a special mentality, and a complete understanding of what you'll be up against. Bugging out and surviving under some austere conditions is going to be rough, and a lot of folks won't make it. Not many have the funds to buy a remote property, build adequate shelter, stock it with what's needed and then maintain it. and even those who do, there's the problem of maintaining secrecy while doing so. Many, many, many are living with a gross misperception of what it will be like. Old coots like me have the advantage of having done a lot of those things just for fun when we were growing up. I think I spent more time prowling around the woods than I did at home. It would take far too much space here to list all the thigs one would have to consider...before hand...prior to "lighting a shuck" to the hinterlands. I, for one, pray it neve comes to that. Just some adle thoughts of an old fart.
    Highly intelligent answer. People tend to sit in the comfort of home and think they can survive in the wilderness at the drop of a hat. I've lived in the country all my life. Hunted, fished , trapped , butchered hogs, beef , deer , turkeys, all manner of critter, spent long cold days in the woods, day and night. Having said that, at 54 years old , not sure I could survive in the wilderness the rest of life. Dam sure my wife and daughter couldn't . I have no intention of living in the wilderness, subjecting my wife and daughter to the rigors I know we would encounter. They deserve better. I wont live underground either. I am an American, I believe in God, and Jesus. I aint afraid to die. I have a better life ahead . I will not live on my knees , or like a rat. I will not run . Molon Labe .

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Highly intelligent answer. People tend to sit in the comfort of home and think they can survive in the wilderness at the drop of a hat. I've lived in the country all my life. Hunted, fished , trapped , butchered hogs, beef , deer , turkeys, all manner of critter, spent long cold days in the woods, day and night. Having said that, at 54 years old , not sure I could survive in the wilderness the rest of life. Dam sure my wife and daughter couldn't . I have no intention of living in the wilderness, subjecting my wife and daughter to the rigors I know we would encounter. They deserve better. I wont live underground either. I am an American, I believe in God, and Jesus. I aint afraid to die. I have a better life ahead . I will not live on my knees , or like a rat. I will not run . Molon Labe .
    Yep! We be kin for sure! These are EXACTLY my sentiments. Now, I don't have a wife any more, and I ain't lookin'. I have no desire to or intentions of ever marrying again. I do have two grown daughters close by though. Both have been married and divorced, the oldest one twice. She's 49 and the youngest is 47. They've given up on finding a decent man so they look to me, and I AIN'T a-gonna let'em down. And, like you, I have a deep and abiding faith in my Lord and Savior and I have no fear of death. I view death simply as a door through we pass into something far better than we've ever known here in this life. Jesus said "I go and prepare a place for you. If it were not so I would not have told you." I put my trust in that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Yep! We be kin for sure! These are EXACTLY my sentiments. Now, I don't have a wife any more, and I ain't lookin'. I have no desire to or intentions of ever marrying again. I do have two grown daughters close by though. Both have been married and divorced, the oldest one twice. She's 49 and the youngest is 47. They've given up on finding a decent man so they look to me, and I AIN'T a-gonna let'em down. And, like you, I have a deep and abiding faith in my Lord and Savior and I have no fear of death. I view death simply as a door through we pass into something far better than we've ever known here in this life. Jesus said "I go and prepare a place for you. If it were not so I would not have told you." I put my trust in that statement.

God bless you brother. Hope to meet you on this side, but if fate deems otherwise, we will meet up there. God have mercy on those who think we are sheep.

..Amen Olde Timer ...Amen....

Agree Olde Timer...Agree. I miss my Lady Friend very very much since she passed back in February. Since then I have occupied with my home, job, and helping her children and grand children.

Soon enough and as He wills it ...we will be together again. Until then...it can be lonesome...but we've been there before,,,and far from home and those we love as well.

Thanks,

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 12-10-2019 at 10:43 AM.

I like to backwoods camp. I have had some rough trips that make 3 days feel like 3 weeks. In the dead of winter in Ohio. Without the proper gear you wouldn't make it threw the night. Even if you had a fire and a warm set of clothes. It sucks. I love testing myself and my gear. I have about called my trips off on a few occasions. Got to stay motivated. Winter is worst, I might last 2 weeks with my Bob in January. With food / water source I could go all summer.