Thread: Water Well Drilling

Default Water Well Drilling

So I live on a lake and pay an annual due for 1/4 acre feet of water for irrigation. A few years ago we were in drought and area lake levels were dropping rapidly. Not the one I'm on, it is relatively constant level to cool a power plant. So the regulating body was getting nasty and threatening to stop our irrigation completely. So I started thinking of drilling a well.

Due to regulations, the only place I could drill is coincidentally very close to my irrigation lines which is perfect, but I must not be within 50 feet of a septic tank which to me is silly because my lateral field is across the street and 150 feet from the house, but I digress.

So I spotted this rig thing that either mounts or is powered by a skid steer hydraulics, I'm not sure. The guy is selling it on Texas Bowhunter forum classified. He wanted $30K for the rig, which Seemed too high and just plain expensive. Still, the thought of being able to drill shallow wells off grid is very appealing to me. I ended up not getting it, the seller dropped price to $20K and someone got it, and I have not found out who yet, I'd like to rent it from him, and I know that he is close to me.

So, now I'm looking at other similar mini rig things for somewhere in the $3-5K range. They suggest a 100' capacity which is probably fine, the well I want here at house is probably illegal but only needs to be about 30-40' deep and at ranch we have water as shallow as 30' and deepest at about 100', all well within reach. They offer up to I think a 7" drill bit I think it is, but I have a 7 5/8" that I could use, my goal is to try to get 6" casing in the wellbore.

Has anybody played with these small drilling units?
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

How close can you dig to the lake? Would a 15 foot deep by 3 foot diameter dug by a back hoe work for you? That is what I did on the lake here, only I dug a 10 diameter foot hole, put in about 6 feet of pea stone, vinyl cover, then back filled it, leaving well tile in the middle.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    =

I'm not sure about regulations and am really not interested, but the problem is that where I can put a well, I've got these giant Pecan trees and large limbs that I can't get a piece of equipment under. I have maybe 8' clearance vertically, and maybe 8' wide space to bring anything in to to operate. If I do this it will be completely unregulated, if I can pull it off.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

That's basically what I did, the vacationers were home celebrating Thanksgiving, then......
    =
    Make America under God Again
    =

Or you could just hire the guy that bought the rig............ I'm sure there's plenty of options for water for $20k. Sewer doesn't stay contained in the tank 100% of the time. 50ft. is a good thing.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Well, I have had zero luck finding the new owner, or having him respond to me however, there are a few companies manufacturing little drilling, Rigs, that are powered by Kohler or Honda engines and use like 6' long pipe joints and sell for under $3K. Capacity is 100' but I'm thinking that I could probably stretch it another 20' if I have the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Well, I have had zero luck finding the new owner, or having him respond to me however, there are a few companies manufacturing little drilling, Rigs, that are powered by Kohler or Honda engines and use like 6' long pipe joints and sell for under $3K. Capacity is 100' but I'm thinking that I could probably stretch it another 20' if I have the pipe.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen those little rigs, but aren't they only capable of a 2" diameter well? Better than nothing and could be a little side gig if the going gets tough.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen those little rigs, but aren't they only capable of a 2" diameter well? Better than nothing and could be a little side gig if the going gets tough.
    No, the one I see can adapt to whatever bit you want. I'd like to go 8 3/4" but have like already own a 7 5/8" rock bit from my oilfield days. I'd like to go 6" on casing but that's probably not practical. I want to stack pumps in the casing, like place a solar pump under either a windmill pump or other solar pump. Hard to do that with 5" casing.

Sounds like a great little set up. I'd be jealous if you got one