Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey Harvest today

Default Honey Harvest today

Got some really dark purple honey from one of my hives today. I only pulled a couple of frames because I wanted to leave plenty for them to winter with so I dont have to feed them. Besides, I have PLENTY of honey stored already. I just wanted some of this beautiful and beneficial elderberry honey! It is really dark this year! It's delicious and very rich! I got 8 pints and 1 half pint out of two small frames!

image.jpg
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 10-23-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I have yet to rob my hives, is that ok or is it bad?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Looks yummy !!!!!

Do you pasteurize your honey ?

Nooooo! It comes straight from the hive into the kitchen. When I only pull a couple of frames I crush the combs and let the honey drip through. Then I Sieve to remove the wax. Then it goes right into the jars. Pure as you can get. Pasteurizing kills all the beneficial enzymes, rendering the honey useless other than just sweet.! I have never pasteurized my honey. NOPE! I refuse!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Looks yummy !!!!!

Do you pasteurize your honey ?

I don't rob mine the first year, but because we love honey and I like to share, I rob only a few frames every year for us and friend and leave the rest for my bees. It's not a bad thing at all. A lot of serious beekeepers rarely rob. They have bees primarily for pollination and to help them propagate the species, only taking enough honey for theirs and their family and friends. In the Sping I take some honey and pollen frames from established hives to start new hives. It helps the new colony get a head start.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I have yet to rob my hives, is that ok or is it bad?

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Wow, thanks Camie, and congrads for your harvest.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    =

I only buy local raw honey . I'm trying to get some hives started but our bee population is way down. Haven't had any move in yet.

Buy you a pkg to start with. It's a great learning experience but read up on it first and if you have local beekeepers near by, I've never known one to deny a helper while you learn, and you'll probably get some free honey taboot. The first year is the toughest and you'll make plenty of mistakes. We all do.. Bees need all the help they can get. Without them, we would Parrish. Unless you're willing to go soylent green!😳

Thanks Winni !

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Wow, thanks Camie, and congrads for your harvest.

I had hives in my yard but the HOA said I had to move even though the town allowed. I never did will with them at a friend's house in the country. I always thought not enough natural source for nectar. Until I have more time to spend planting some food plots for them and to tend I had to shelve this. I am hoping to retire soon and spend more time with this.
    A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Starship Troopers
    Armageddon was yesterday-Today we have a serious problem.