Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide where to move!

Default Help me decide where to move!

So my wife was diagnosed with Meniers Disease about a year ago. Itís a disease where fluid builds up in your inner ear causing you to experience dizziness / vertigo, hearing loss, and headaches. As we have traveled from our home in Colorado (at 7000 feet elevation) to various places we have learned she does much better at lower elevations. So after much deliberation we have decided to move. To somewhere lower.

I am a pediatrician and there are jobs available for me all over the country. So we can pretty much pick where we want to go. We have decided to place a cap of 2000 feet on where we move to. This rules out many places that prepares classically consider as ideal including nearly the entire North American redoubt. We have pretty much decided we will move to one of 5 places. Obviously we will be working to avoid big cities.

The 5 places we have narrowed it down to are:
    1) The Ozarks (Arkansas and southern Missouri)
    2) Central to east Texas
    3) Pacific Northwest
    4) Kentucky and Tennessee
    5) gulf side of Florida

So put yourself in my shoes. Where would you relocate to and why?
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Curtain #4, the other choices have too many people, too hot for me, geological problems or political problems. This is a personal choice, based on my life experiences, YMMV
    Last edited by Winni; 10-20-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    =

Default Cape Coral

As a native Texan, I would suggest you look there....but as someone who recently lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida I can honestly recommend the City of Cape Coral (just NW of Fort Myers). It's one of the larger cities in SW Florida, with miles of canals and a pretty good mix of families as well as seniors. Especially appealing if you enjoy boating and/or seafood - if it was any more fresh, it would still be flopping around on the boat. While the housing situation is kinda tight, I can message you with the contact info for a husband/wife team of realtors that are also builders....they happen to be conservative and retired law enforcement) and recently built a beautiful pool home for a friend of ours that also recently retired from the field of law enforcement. They are excellent hosts and honest folks to deal with. As a pediatrician, you should be welcomed with open arms, as there is a wealth of options for employment there. Oh, and let's not forget a republican governor and NO state income taxes !

If you decide to look around Cape Coral, also check out the little artist enclave on the nearby island of Matlacha ("Matt_Luh-Shay") - it's like Haight Ashbury meets Key West. Good luck in your quest ! (the photo below is the home our realtor friends built on the water)

Cape Coral.jpg

Hmm. The Texas Hill Country (Boerne to Fredricksburg to Dripping Springs). Near big cities if you need to travel, lots of opportunity for physicians, good hospitals nearby (Austin, San Antonio), great firearms laws, low land prices... Hot in the summers though, water can be an issue.
    Good medicine in bad places

check your PM

if you avoid the cities and the KY military - that swath across mid-country MO/AR/TN/KY has some good offerings when it comes to prepping

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Hmm. The Texas Hill Country (Boerne to Fredricksburg to Dripping Springs). Near big cities if you need to travel, lots of opportunity for physicians, good hospitals nearby (Austin, San Antonio), great firearms laws, low land prices... Hot in the summers though, water can be an issue.
    All nice communities but expensive real estate. I live near them but went Llano county. Mason county is another that would be within easy commute to these towns without having to carry the tax burden and high RE costs.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

If you like to hunt and fish. you should consider West Virginia also. The Capitol, Charleston, has a population of around 200,000. Lots of small towns, plenty of national forest, VERY friendly people, lots of jobs for health care professionals. This is a Bible and gun state, just what the libtards hate.

I'm surprised you haven't looked at Salt Lake. I would not suggest Florida even in the Gulf region. Tennessee/Kentucky is a real good idea. Again staying away from Military bases and Huge Population centers.
    Missouri/Arkansas area is nice. I like Northern Arkansas, Southern Missouri. Joplin Missouri has just put in a New hospital a few years ago due to a tornado. They are usually in dire need of good Physicians. Mainly DO School. Yet the Residencies are to go now to both DO/MD... That would give you an option of where to live you would have the potential to live in 1 of 4 states. Joplin is a descent town....

Since you're from Co. I wouldn't suggest anything below Dallas Texas, AZ, La, Florida, Miss or Alabama. Even though the laws are more laxed on guns and taxes, the heat would kill ya if you're not acclimated to it. I wouldn't consider that low of an elevation either, unless you can acclimate easily. Your wife issue might cause even more issues in rapid altitude change.

Tenn or Kentucky seems either of those two states would be ideal for you. I do love my Texas state but I've live here all my life and it's still tough with the summer heat. You might consider staying within your climate range or close to it but at a lower altitude. Both of those states are absolutely beautiful and very friendly, as is Texas, but without as much humidity and heat.

If you can wait a year before making your move, I'd suggest taking time off to go to those two states during each season, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring. See how she fairs.. That might help you make a decision.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!