Thread: dehydrating chestnuts

Default dehydrating chestnuts

Our chestnut trees are absolutely loaded this year, way more than we can eat , even though we have given bags of them to friends and family. I decided to try dehydrating them in the oven. I shelled and sliced them to dehydrate. Anyone ever done this before ? How long do they last when dehydrated ?

After they are dehydrated I plan to put some in the freezer, and some in sealed jars in the basement to see how long they will last .

"sealed jars" - as in hot packed canning?

If you're going to freeze some. I would suggest investing in a vacuum sealer and Vac seal bags. Chestnuts freezer burn easy and leave a nasty taste. Vac sealer will remedy that and your chestnuts will last several years. Same thing with any nut fruit. Before sealing nuts, wash them well in cold water and let them dry, then roast them in the oven and let cool completely before you pack them for storage. That also helps shelf life. You have to get the residue from the shell off of the nut or they will become bitter tasting over time. Vacuum sealing is the best way to store nuts.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    "sealed jars" - as in hot packed canning?
    No , sealed jars as in rubber rings. After dehydrating them .

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    If you're going to freeze some. I would suggest investing in a vacuum sealer and Vac seal bags. Chestnuts freezer burn easy and leave a nasty taste. Vac sealer will remedy that and your chestnuts will last several years. Same thing with any nut fruit. Before sealing nuts, wash them well in cold water and let them dry, then roast them in the oven and let cool completely before you pack them for storage. That also helps shelf life. You have to get the residue from the shell off of the nut or they will become bitter tasting over time. Vacuum sealing is the best way to store nuts.
    Thanks Cammie. I do have a vacuum sealer. I'll try some like that. Got another bunch in the oven right now.

You won't regret it.

Had a feeling you would be the one to come through on this . Thank you.